Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been with Verizon for a long time and their coverage is excellent. However, it doesn't sound like they'll have the 650 available for a long time.

I was thinking of jumping to Cingular. Any opinions about Cingular's service, coverage, etc? I tried Sprint a few years back and wasn't happy with the coverage.

I'm in the Pittsburgh area. Don't know if that matters.

Thanks.
    I switched from VZW to Sprint. If you travel a lot you will find the coverage much better using CDMA vs. GSM.
    Why not convert a Sprint 650 to work on Verizon?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=63563
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    Why not convert a Sprint 650 to work on Verizon?
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=63563

That's scares me. I don't want to mess anything up or get into trouble.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    conversion is the way to go if u want to keep verizon. i did mine and pretty happy with it.

alex
    Why keep Verizon? Sprint's data plans are much better and if you pay the extra 5 bucks for roaming, you get to use Verizon's towers, too. I went thorugh the same thought process myself. It just made sense to switch.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Too Bad Noone Will Do The Conversions For A "modest Fee"
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    Why keep Verizon? Sprint's data plans are much better and if you pay the extra 5 bucks for roaming, you get to use Verizon's towers, too. I went thorugh the same thought process myself. It just made sense to switch.
    Are you sure that this will work with the phone? I just bought and returned, same day, the Treo 650 at Sprint because I have Sprint now, but their coverage map does not show hardly any coverage in Kentucky, which I drive through 5 times a year, and the sales rep sure didn't seem to think simply adding roaming would work since it is a digital network...

I am confused and just placed my order on treocentral to switch to Cingular, which has amazing coverage in KY....
    True. Big gaps in KY which I do not usually travel in. In that case you may want to go with Cingular.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I am a huge GSM fan, the benefits far surpass the drawbacks. That said, right now, Cingular has much better coverage than T-Mobile. I do use T-Mobile, mainly because I have a unique plan that Cingular can't match, with dual unlimited data add-ons and first incoming minute free. Cingular will be supporting Edge, so GPRS data will be faster than on T-Mobile for the immediate future. Either way, GSM is just a nice solution, you can own several handsets and switch between them, use the latest phones that aren't even sold in the US, and when overseas you can access internet, send Sms and make phone calls like you were at home! How cool is that?
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  11.    #11  
    Oh, geez. What to do, what to do. .. .

I started looking at the thread about conversion but got sort of confused. Can someone just briefly tell me the steps. It doesn't need to be detailed. Just so I have an idea what I might be getting into.

This is a tough decision. I have no problem jumping to another provider if they can offer the same coverage. At least with Verizon, I know that have coverage in all the right areas for me. . . .

Ugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by exander
    Oh, geez. What to do, what to do. .. .
    You really need to decide what is more important to you; being able to make a call w/o worry or having a cool device? It sounds like your biggest concern is call capability and you question coverage in some areas.

Try searching in the Sprint forum here or the one on http://www.howardforums.com/ and see if you can get coverage opinions from people living/working in areas you travel. I can't speak for the GSM carriers. I switched from VZW to Sprint in order to get a 650 and have been happy. Like you, I wasn't excited about "Verizonizing" a Sprint 650. My big concern was being able to make calls while in the DC Metro. Sprint roams on VZW in the Metro and I've had no problems. I know the GSM carriers don't work there, so that ruled out any of those.

Ask around and I'm sure you can get some ideas on coverage for the various carriers.
    Cingular is pretty good from what I hear (even though I'm anti-GSM for personal reasons), so get that if you can. Keep in mind though that their EDGE plan is very expensive right now. I foresee it getting cheaper in the upcoming months as competition from CDMA EV-DO kicks in.
  14.    #14  
    Ok, need a little help here. What's the difference between GSM and CDMA?
    And what's EDGE?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Ok, need a little help here. What's the difference between GSM and CDMA?
    And what's EDGE?
    Ya gotta week?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada
    Ya gotta week?
    Really?

Geez. I just want a phone with email that doesn't drop calls.
    Those don't exist!
    I think Cingular allows you to try their phones/plans for up to 30 days with no obligation. Why not get one, try it out for a couple of weeks where you normally use your phone, and see how it works.

I have been a longtime VZW user, over 10 years, and I am tired of their old equipment. I also like the idea of being able to use more than one phone depending on what I am doing. When my contract is up in March, I am goin gto look at making the switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    Those don't exist!
    You would think it from reading this forum!!!

I am getting my 650 today to replace my Blackberry 7280. I am a long Palm fan, and a BlackBerry user for a year, and I am hooked on the Blackberry ease of use and access to email. The voice service (AT&T) has also been extremely good. I have a Tungsten T3, but found myself leaving it behind not wanting to carry two devices. The Blackberry kinda sucks as a PDA.

Sooooo, if you just want email and a solid phone, I would highly recommend the BlackBerry. I am going to Palm because I want to have some other apps handy (like Converter, eReader, DocsToGo, etc.) and the BlackBerry just doesn't have that range of apps available.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Really?

Geez. I just want a phone with email that doesn't drop calls.
    I would take hch6774's advice.

I recently switched to Cingular, and it's been pretty good so far. I can't wait to use the 650 on the service. I don't know if I would go back to VZ, unless it would lower its data plan prices. Its phones aren't as boring as when I had an account with it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast