Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1.    #61  
    I wasn't trying to start a war, just wanted to know if there were any significant advantages to GSM since I am a Sprint user, and I guess after reading everything, I do not see any.
    Quoting ScaredPoet: "...I just tried Cingular Orange and Blue Networks. Where I live (NJ), the coverage is very bad..."

I have to agree with him. I never felt so cut-off until I switched to Cingular. Along major highways, it is not bad. Once off to the boonies, my vzw did a lot better.

That said, it doesn't matter if GSM has better coverage or CDMA has better coverage. Better coverage doesn't mean much if you can't use the tower. I was standing 50 ft from a T-Mobile tower but my Cingular will not connect. I am at the ridiculous position of needing to switch sims for a mere 15 miles commute. I need cingular at work, and T-mobile at home. With my T-Mobile sim, I can't get signal at work (and can't connect to the AT&T tower near by). With my Cingular sim, I can't get signal at home and can't connect to the T-Mobile tower near by.

So, coverage of GSM/CDMA doesn't mean squat if you can't use it.

My cingular sim used to roam to T-Mobile no problem until 5 or 6 weeks ago before Cingular and T-Mobile stopped sharing. With wireless being so competitive, having used my verizon coast-to-coast for over 10 years until a few months ago, I can say that VZW *was* better but who knows about now or the future. I see no assurance that Verizon will continue to allow me to roam on alien networks 10 weeks from now just because it did so last 10 years!

I'd be happy to pay $10, or even $20 if I am able to connect to all GSM towers. The price of "Nation wide free roaming" means you ain't allowed to roam. That is just great.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLaw
    I'd be happy to pay $10, or even $20 if I am able to connect to all GSM towers. The price of "Nation wide free roaming" means you ain't allowed to roam. That is just great.
    That is about the right price. Roaming costs the primary carrier. In many cases, that is a matter of regulation, not simply contract. That said, coverage is getting better and both the technology and the economics are making the space flatter and flatter.

Incidentally, have you considered a dual-sim phone? Seems like you are a good candidate for this rarely needed feature.
    The bottom line, IMHO, is which has the best coverage for you. As I understand it Verizon and Sprint roam on each other's network which yields fairly nice coverage. I use Earthlink which similarly runs on Verizon and roams on Sprint.

None of the digital phones will have the same coverage as a CDMA phone that can roam onto analog networks.
    Something I don't understand is I hear people saying that CDMA has cheaper phone service than GSM, but it pretty much looks like it is equal if not more expensive in some cases for CDMA. I just switched to Cingular a month ago. I looked at all the carriers and found my best deal is with Cingular. I love the fact that I can switch phones at any time by just switching the SIM, while sprint charges you $36 to do the same plus I get a 25% discount off my bill every month and I like the rollover minutes. One of the good things about Sprint is the voice quality is slightly better than with Cingular but it is something I knew up front and decided I can live with.
    Most of the carriers have a trial period to test the phone out, so instead of asking here, go try it for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    The bottom line, IMHO, is which has the best coverage for you. As I understand it Verizon and Sprint roam on each other's network which yields fairly nice coverage. I use Earthlink which similarly runs on Verizon and roams on Sprint.

None of the digital phones will have the same coverage as a CDMA phone that can roam onto analog networks.

Are you sure earthlink is using verizon service? I read somewhere that it is not.

Also, how was your experience with Earthlink? Do you have a treo 650 on earthlink?

Just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    There is another difference between the offerings - Sprint has locked their implementation of Blazer to their service. If you purchase their phone you cannot (currently) add on a WiFi sled and use Blazer over it. You can with the Cingular (and other) offerings. Enfora (who makes the WiFi sled) is apparently looking into it, but Sprint locked the applications somewhat.

Also one more note (although this may incite more rioting) - CDMA is a proprietary technology (technologies) licenced by Qualcomm (I don't believe they put it into open source/open standards arena). GSM is a standards-based technology (technologies) not owned by anyone. That's why it's development tends to be a little slower, but it's also why it's adoption (worldwide) tends to be broader. You can have arguments about proprietary vs open source now.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Here are my opinions for the trade-offs of CDMA vs. GSM (my experience is specific to the West Coast USA on a Treo 650, Verizon vs. Cingular).

CDMA Advantages
    • Rural Coverage: Verizon has in my experience, better rural digital coverage on the west coast than any other carrier.
    • Consistency: Water / Altitude : CDMA handles situations where your phone can see many towers (such as on a hill, over water) better than GSM.
    • Voice Quality: Noise-canceling codecs. CDMA codecs are highly optimized for noise canceling. Good if you are calling from a noisy environment.

GSM Advantages
    • City Coverage: Cingular/ATT has both 850 and 1900MHz towers in many towns. In general, this provides a higher chance that you will get a useable signal.
    • Consistency : GSM cells don't have "cell breathing". The quality at the beginning of the call is likely to remain fairly constant throughout.
    • Data speed : EDGE is fast and consistent (10k-15k/second).
    • Data Connection : GSM is better at dropping the data connection when needed to allow an incoming call. Not all calls get through, but more than with CDMA.
    • Voice quality : GSM voice quality is, generally, superior to CDMA. Voices sound more natural and less robotic / synthesized.
    • Rollover minutes: Cingular rollover minutes can be really good for people with bursty usage patterns.
    Quote Originally Posted by professordave
    Are you sure earthlink is using verizon service? I read somewhere that it is not.

Also, how was your experience with Earthlink? Do you have a treo 650 on earthlink?

Just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
    Yes, I'm sure because I asked them. Earthlink leases networks from other companies. It uses Verizon and Sprint. My service has been great...everybit as good as the Verizon service I had before. I am hurting in areas that only had analog coverage but that is true of all pda phones (none seem to have digital and analog.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    I use Earthlink which similarly runs on Verizon and roams on Sprint.
    I just tried the earthlink wireless deal here in Cincinnati, and it runs on the Sprint network and roams on Verizon. I wonder how they decide what network you are on. I had to return it because the Sprint network here in the seven hills city is horrible.

In fact I've been on every network BUT T-Mobile (my GF has it) and Verizon is the best. The old TDMA AT&T was pretty good, but didn't work well inside the university buildings. My gf is looking to switch to Verizon here as well. It is amazing how universally bad all other carriers are here. Not quite sure of the reason, I know in other cities this isn't the case.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234