Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anyone know what config settings and modem scripts one must use in setting up the TREO 650 for DUN bluetooth on a Mac with OS X.

Thanks
    DUN or reverse DUN?
  3.    #3  
    Dun!
    You should be able to set it up identically to the Sprint set up. See
    http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/

But it is tricky. Several points --
    1. Make sure PCS vision is off and
    2. Bluetooth mobile phone set up on the mac invokes the GPRS option
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    You should be able to set it up identically to the Sprint set up. See
    http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/

But it is tricky. Several points --
    1. Make sure PCS vision is off and
    2. Bluetooth mobile phone set up on the mac invokes the GPRS option
    i think he is asking about the Cingular version, which from what i understand we are still waiting for a hack/mod to get DUN operating on our Cingular models...

as a fellow Mac user i am too looking for information on getting my new 650 to play nice w/ my Powerbook..!
    The BT DUN connection should be identical to the Sprint version.
  7.    #7  
    DUN has been hacked by shadowmite...thats working fine. I just need to know the settings for Cingular and the driver. I am faily certain that the Sprint settings on the Mac side are sprint specific. Dialing #777 doesnt seem right...I think its apn is wap.cingular...and I am also fairly sure that the User would be WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM with no password, because thats how it looks in the Treo's data connection area. Maybe the modem script will work too but I don't have a clue where it is. Can anyone help?

Evan
    Last edited by BigEvan23; 02/04/2005 at 09:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEvan23
    DUN has been hacked by shadowmite...thats working fine. I just need to know the settings for Cingular and the driver. I am faily certain that the Sprint settings on the Mac side are sprint specific. Dialing #777 doesnt seem right...I think its apn is wap.cingular...and I am also fairly sure that the User would be WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM with no password, because thats how it looks in the Treo's data connection area. Maybe the modem script will work too but I don't have a clue where it is. Can anyone help?

Evan

I had the same problem. I tried to dial *99# (at&t) but no luck. I had a Sprint treo for a week and using the Sprint Vision dialup script, it worked fine. Let us know if you figure this out.
  9.    #9  
    Well I went and downloaded one of Ross Berkman's famous scripts. The generic 3G scripts for EDGE and UMTS phones. There is no need to dial *99# cause his modem scripts do it for you. Telephone number field is blank. NOW...the confusion sets in. I have tried the account name field as WAP and WAP@CINGULARGRPS.COM and i have tried the password as CINGULAR1 and nothing at all...each time it disconnects however...it does establsih connection and attempt to authenticate. I think I am close I just need some concrete settings and I think it will be up and running! CINGULAR TREO 650 HACKED DUN MAC USERS UNITE! Lets get this going!
    EGDE ON THE OLE PB would be hot!

Evan

for the scripts:
    http://www.taniwha.org.uk/files/Generic3G2004-09.sit
    Same here, it does try to authenticate but never does. Almost seems like it times out.
  11.    #11  
    Yah i think the number should actually be either WAP.CINGULAR or wap.cingular...but im not sure. Has anyone got this working yet? Can it work I can't see why it wouldn't.

Evan
    I'm a Mac user, a T-Mo customer, and awaiting my 650 from VC, so I have faith that this will all be working before I get my phone! I currently use Ross' scripts for my SE T610 to connect my PowerBook via BT to the web.

I did look today at the support page for the GSM 650 on Palm's website, and there's a document there called "Using Dial-Up Networking" that looks like a manual that might have come with the phone. XP instructions only, of course. On page 8, describing setting the phone up as a modem:

Enter the following in the Extra initialization commands field:

AT+CGDCONT=1, "ip", "XXX"

where XXX is the APN information from your wireless service provider. This information is different for all providers.

NOTE: Be sure to enter the text exactly as it appears, including commas and quotation marks.

In the sidebar, it says:

Depending on your wireless service provider, you may be able to locate the APN information on your smartphone. Go to Applications, select Prefs, and then select Network. If the APN information is displayed on the Network Prefs screen, this should be the correct info to enter on your computer. Check with your wireless service provider to be sure.
    So, since you have Cingular-branded phones, it would seem that you have all you need to build this initialization string. Maybe that's not the problem, but worth a shot...
    OK, I don't have a 650 to test with yet, but try this. I created this script with Modem Script Generator. Drop it in the modem scripts folder located at "/Library/Modem Scripts" and select it as your Bluetooth modem script in network prefs.

Then, use these settings in Internet Connect:

Telephone: **99***1#
    User: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

Also heed this note from Ross Barkman's page:

"Cingular's WAP APN does not support compression, and only allows 2 MB to be transferred before disconnecting you."

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html
    Attached Files Attached Files
  14.    #14  
    this does not work and it won't even authenticate this way. This is frustrating...it has to work doesnt it?
  15.    #15  
    Well has anyone cracked the code...where should I turn for answers...any ideas?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noahs
    OK, I don't have a 650 to test with yet, but try this. I created this script with Modem Script Generator. Drop it in the modem scripts folder located at "/Library/Modem Scripts" and select it as your Bluetooth modem script in network prefs.

Then, use these settings in Internet Connect:

Telephone: **99***1#
    User: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

Also heed this note from Ross Barkman's page:

"Cingular's WAP APN does not support compression, and only allows 2 MB to be transferred before disconnecting you."

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html

YOU ARE A SAINT! I have been spending hours trying to get my PowerBook setup to use Bluetooth on this brand, spankin' new Treo 650. You hit the nail on the head with the Cingular settings. Everywhere I searched (including a Cingular Wireless Device Manual) had the Telephone# as *99***1#. The TWO ASTERISKS at the beginning of the number is the WORKING Answer! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    The only issue I seem to be experiencing is it disconnects when I remain idle and don't go after a web page (like if I'm readin on a site such as this). Also, I can't get to the www.taniwha.org.uk site. Acts like it doesn't exist.
    take care,
    burrzoo
  17.    #17  
    How did you get it working using noahs settings. Mine still won't connect. I get to the authentication process but it disconnects. If you could email me or post your exact settings that would be great... I want my powerbook to hum!

Evan
    I was able to connect with my PB G4 using the modem scripts listed above. I found that you have to leave everything empty in interconnect, including the number. I am using a At&t Treo 650.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrzoo
    YOU ARE A SAINT! I have been spending hours trying to get my PowerBook setup to use Bluetooth on this brand, spankin' new Treo 650. You hit the nail on the head with the Cingular settings. Everywhere I searched (including a Cingular Wireless Device Manual) had the Telephone# as *99***1#. The TWO ASTERISKS at the beginning of the number is the WORKING Answer! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    The only issue I seem to be experiencing is it disconnects when I remain idle and don't go after a web page (like if I'm readin on a site such as this). Also, I can't get to the www.taniwha.org.uk site. Acts like it doesn't exist.
    take care,
    burrzoo
    Since people have gotten it working...could someone please include a step by step instruction set like the SPRINT write up for getting this to work with Cingular Treo 650's and OS X. I would like to know the exact settings for ppp options, the basic settings and the included modem script. I want to eliminate all possible confusion and see why I can't get it working!
    Thanks
    Evan
    ----- This part is only done once ------

1. Reset the phone making sure nothing will start up a data connection (verichat / chatter)

2. Turn on DUN and Discoverable in the Bluetooth section of the Treo.

3. Discover the device in OS X. Make sure OS X sees that the phone is providing DUN services. If not reset the phone and try again.

4. Choose the generic edge modem scripts (Listed on the site above).

----- This section is used from this point on when wanting to use DUN ------

5. Open interconnnect and dial using the bluetooth connection with nothing set in user, pass, or numbder. (This may only be a At&t thing)

6. Bingo, you are connected.

I found that I can only connect once, then I have to turn the Treo bluetooth off and back on to connect again.
    Last edited by webtoker; 02/06/2005 at 11:19 AM.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast