Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubingr@cox.net
    I tried your suggestion... but no luck. Do I need to reset my computer mabey? anyway, I set it up like you suggested, and got this error message.

Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Check your connections, and try again.

Any ideas?

yeah, change your phone number to "wap.cingular"

.. try then, that should solve it for ya..
  2. btn
    Hi Rubingr, I'm connected right now killing time at the airport... I have occasionally needed to move "USB Bluetooth Modem Adapter" (my AlBook's built-in Bluetooth) to the top of my Network Port Configurations list although I've found that disabling the other unused network ports works too. BTW, if you use an app that keeps a persistent connection open on your Treo, be sure to shut them down and do a soft reset before turning on DUN.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregory17
    I was able to get my Powerbook (OSX 10.3.7) connected and online with my new Treo 650 (GSM/Cingular) by using the generic 3G/EDGE script and the following settings.

1. Download and Install Scripts
    Generic 3G Scripts
    http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html

Place Modem Script into
    /Library/Modem Scripts/

and

Shadowmites DUN hack
    http://www.shadowmite.com/

replace the BT on the Palm with the Shadowmite hack

2. System Preferences on the Mac
    In Network Settings set up the Bluetooth PPP options with the settings below:
    Account Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    Phone Number: NONE (that's right, zero, zilch, nothing)

3. Connect using Internet Connect and Bluetooth

--

This worked perfectly for me and from my office in Manhattan (with the Airport turned off, obviously) I was able to use my Powerbook at speeds around 70-90kbs, which isn't too bad. That's much better than the weak GPRS connection I was getting with my T610 on T-Mobile.

I'm heading up to Vermont this weekend and will hopefully be able to stay connected using my Treo and Powerbook. Now if only Versamail was able to sync multiple folders or Chattermail would take advantage of the high resolution screen...I'd be all set!

This worked perfectly for me with 10.4 and Cingular with a Treo and the latest Cingular update.

From my house I'm getting a crappy 19k down/9k up, unfortunately - but I will test it downtown when there is more than 1-2 bars.

Not using any hacks and using the 1st "Generic GPRS" script
    19k down is pretty good... i usually get around 6-7... anything special you did to get that speed...???!
    can somebody post the darn modem script?? i have tried EVERYTHING advised here. i've done it with the generic script. i've done it with two different scripts that i made using the generater that i bought. i've tried editing. i've reset this and re-paired that. two days into this i'm in danger of pulling all my hair out. i did not install shadow's patch as the version of firmware patches i have seem to already have the DUN option there. other than that, i am most suspicious of the modem script(s) i'm using. if somebody can please post a text file of the script they are using with the ppp/bt...info, i'd be much appreciative.
    Last edited by warmseth; 08/11/2005 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Section 8
    19k down is pretty good... i usually get around 6-7... anything special you did to get that speed...???!

Nope, didn't do anything special.
  7. btn
    Quote Originally Posted by Section 8
    I speculate that gregory is in a region covered by EDGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by warmseth
    can somebody post the darn modem script?? i have tried EVERYTHING advised here. i've done it with the generic script. i've done it with two different scripts that i made using the generater that i bought. i've tried editing. i've reset this and re-paired that. two days into this i'm in danger of pulling all my hair out. i did not install shadow's patch as the version of firmware patches i have seem to already have the DUN option there. other than that, i am most suspicious of the modem script(s) i'm using. if somebody can please post a text file of the script they are using with the ppp/bt...info, i'd be much appreciative.

bump
    THANKS!!! I have an AT&T Treo and it WORKED. I have been trying for the last 3 months!!!

Anant
    Cingular Treo 650 Mac OS X DUN works with both GPRS and EDGE.

First of all, thanks to all the people who've posted their experiences here.
    Without all those posts, I could never have set this up for myself. Here's a
    description of what has worked for me. It started as my notes to myself, then
    I thought I'd write it partially in a way that could help others. Sorry it
    isn't better written. But I hope this may be useful to someone, all the same.

Notes on Setup of Cingular Treo 650 to provide dialup networking for a Mac OS X
    computer

Three logical components of setting up:

A. Getting DUN (dial-up networking) set up on the Treo.

B. Getting a computer paired with the Treo via bluetooth, with DUN service
    showing (on the computer) as available from the Treo.

C. Configuring network connection settings so that the laptop can actually
    connect up to Cingular GSM-based internet access, using the Treo as a modem.

A. Getting DUN (dial-up networking) set up on the Treo.
    -------------------------------------------------------

History: when Cingular introduced the Treo 650 (approx Feb 2005), users
    disovered that DUN was not enabled.

There are two solutions to enabling DUN:

I. shadowmite came up with a hack. This involved replacing the BTMgr.prc file
    on the Treo with a modified one that enables DUN. Not all users appear to have
    been able to get the hack to work easily.

Both shadowmite and Trevor Harmon have provided instructions on doing this at:

http://shadowmite.com/HowToDUN.html

and

http://homepage.mac.com/vocaro/trevor/treo-dun/

The hacked BTMgr.prc file is available from shadowmite's site

http://shadowmite.com/p-f.html, it's linked to at the very end of that page,
    with the link entitled "GSM - The Bluetooth Manager, patched for DUN". This is
    the GSM version, this is what should be used for a Cingular Treo. The file
    needed is: BtManager.gsm-dun.prc

There are apparently two methods of installing this file:

1. From the computer to which you downloaded the file (from shadowmite's site),
    email the file to yourself as an attachment, and get the email in VersaMail on
    the Treo. In VersaMail, click on the attachment, and VersaMail will ask you
    whether to save it. Click yes, and yes to overwriting the existing file. This
    gets the patch file into the Treo's internal memory, ovewriting the original,
    DUN-disabled file.

2. It can be installed to an SD card, and then copied from the SD card to the
    Treo's Internal Memory using file managemnt software such as FileZ. I didn't
    try this, as I don't have an SD card and I was able to get the first (I think
    easier) method to work.

Do a soft reset of the Treo both before and after installing the file.

Following the second reset, turning Bluetooth on now revealed a "dial-up
    networking" option that was not there before.

All of the above worked for me. However, following the patch, I was not able
    to complete steps B and C. This *may* have been because I had "beam receive"
    turned off on the Treo, which *I think* was a problem when I tried other
    methods of achieving step A and then going on to B and C.

However, after installing the hack, VersaMail appeared to be less stable, and
    the Treo wouldn't wake up from sleep reliably, often needing many presses of
    the wake button.

I therefore recommmend the other method of enabling DUN, which did work for me
    (eventually) without problems:

II. Install Palm's Cingular Treo 650 Updater v1.15. See
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(34830)

and follow the links from there, and all the instructions, to download and
    install the updater.

Installation worked fine for me except that after installation, the Treo went
    into an infinite loop of starting and resetting. Searching the forums
    unearthed:

http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board...essage.id=2672

which led me to do a system reset (different from a soft reset), which put an
    end to the infinite loop. The Treo has been stable since. VersaMail has been
    more stable than it ever was (this was one of the benefits of the update
    claimed by Palm).

But be warned, the forums suggest that people have had trouble with the phone
    functionality of the Treo after the update. I don't know, because I don't use
    the voice features at all (only PDA features and internet access).

B. Getting a computer paired with the Treo via bluetooth, with DUN service
    showing (on the computer) as available from the Treo.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before doing the pairing, you need to get a Modem Script. This will be needed
    in Step C. But Mac OS X's Bluetooth Setup Assistant goes straight from Step B
    to Step C, so have the Modem Script ready.

To get a Modem Script for GPRS access, got to:

http://www.macronsoft.com/pages/en/gsg.html

download the software, run it, enter "wap.cingular" (no quotes) in the APN box,
    click Save Script, and save it as "Cingular (GPRS)". The software by default
    saves in /Library/Modem Scripts/ which is where the script needs to be.

(This is as noted by Trevor Harmon,

http://homepage.mac.com/vocaro/trevor/treo-dun/

)

To get a Modem Script for EDGE access, download from:

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

Make sure to get the "Generic 3G Scripts" toward the lower part of that page.
    When you have downloaded and uncompressed etc., there will be two scripts:

Generic 3G C1D1

and

Generic 3G C1D2

Copy or move them to to /Library/Modem Scripts/

Now, on to the pairing set up:

o Turn on bluetooth on computer and Treo. On phone, turn on "discoverable" and
    "dial-up networking". Click "set up devices", then "trusted devices", then
    "add device"

o On computer, open Bluetooth system preferences, under setttings turn on
    "discoverable". Click the "devices" tab. Click "set up new device". This
    opens Bluetooth Setup Assistant. I chose "mobile phone" as the type of device
    to set up. But some reports suggest that choosing "other device" will work,
    and may be better if you also want to use bluetooth for syncing the PDA with
    a computer.

o use bluetooth set-up assistant on the mac to do the pairing. At the end of
    successful pairing, a screen should come up saying what services are available
    from the phone. Crucially, this screen should have an option that says
    something like "access the internet with your phone's data connection". Check
    this option. (For me, and as suggested by Trevoe Harmon, this option didn't
    show up until restarting the computer twice, and soft resetting the Treo
    twice).

This all worked for me. But I *think* I also had to turn on "Beam receive" for
    the Treo, under the Prefs "Power" menu. (I had turned it off, thinking that
    was a power-saving feature). I *think* I couldn't get the "access internet
    through mobile phone" option to show up until it somehow occurred to me to turn
    on "beam receive" on the phone. But I'm npot totally sure that this was
    necessary.

C. Configuring network connection settings so that the laptop can actually
    connect up to Cingular GSM-based internet access, using the Treo as a modem.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I think this is a logically separate third step, a screen for this
    will actually come up at the end of step B above in Bluetooth Setup Assistant.

Rather than say what is or is not "correct", or what you "should" do, I will
    just say what I did.

I provided settings for the following:

1. Account Name (or User Name)
    2. Password
    3. Phone Number
    4. Modem Script to use

1. I set UserName to "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" (all caps, no quotes)

2. I set the Password to "CINGULAR1" (all caps, no quotes)

This is as disccused by both shadowmite and Trevor Harmon as well as other
    sources in forums.

3 & 4. The Phone Number and Modem Script are critical, and have to work with
    each other. I suspect that some of the difficulty people have encountered has
    to do with not matching the modem script with the phone number.

To set up a GPRS connection I used:

Phone Number: **99***1#

and Modem Script: Cingular (GPRS)

Additionally, the "Send PPP echo packets" option should be turned off in the
    PPP Tab in Network Preferences under "Show USB Bluetooth Modem Adapter". Also
    turn off the Enable Error Correction and Wait for Dial Tone boxes under
    "Bluetooth Modem"

Given all this, I was able to connect using GPRS. (I hit "Connect" in Internet
    Connect, and it dialed and I was on!)

This gave me data transfer speeds of approx 40 Kbs down/ 20 Kbs up.

(go to www.broadbandreports.com/stest for speed tests).

To get an EDGE connection:

1. I set UserName to "WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" (all caps, no quotes)

2. I set the Password to "CINGULAR1" (all caps, no quotes)

3 & 4. I set the Phone Number to "wap.cingular" (all lowercase, no quotes),
    and the modem script to Generic 3G C1D1

As before, the "Send PPP echo packets" option must be turned off in the PPP Tab
    in Network Preferences under "Show USB Bluetooth Modem Adapter". Also turn off
    the Enable Error Correction and Wait for Dial Tone boxes under "Bluetooth
    Modem"

The EDGE connection gives me speeds of 70-110 Kbs down, 20-35 up.

Finally, note that all of this is on Mac Powerbooks running OS X 10.2.8 (yes,
    I've been lame about upgrading -- I'd have to upgrade a lot of stuff from
    fink). So, the point is, that all of this worked for me without requiring the
    latest Apple software. (On two different laptops).

Hope this helps someone -- my thanks again to all the great and helpful
    discussion on this forum!
    those speeds you are getting are awfully fast, are you in a city?
    I was surprised by the numbers, myself. I'm not sure I entirely trust what broadbandreports tells me. What they say is a 70 Kbs down speed feels a little *slower* than 56K dial-up, not faster.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm in Iowa City, Iowa. I wouldn't have thought that Cingular would have EDGE coverage here.
    oh, sorry i missed the Kbs thought it was KB/s heh.. Those speeds sounds about right.. Mind clarifying what the difference between EDGE and GPRS is?
    my understanding (which is definitely quite limited) is that GPRS is a second-generation ("2G") technology for allowing data transmission over cell phones. Third-generation ("3G") technologies include EVDO (which Verizon is pursuing) and EDGE (which Cingular is implementing), as well as a bunch of other ones I don't remember. The 3G technologies are faster than the 2G ones. Sprint's current 1xRTT is considered a 2.5G or 2.75G technology, I think. 1xRTT speeds are 50-70 Kbps, EDGE is ~100 Kbps, GPRS is 10-50 Kbps, EVDO is 300-500 Kbps.

Hope that made some sense -- that's about all I know!
  15. btn
    Quote Originally Posted by prahlad
    Third-generation ("3G") technologies include EVDO (which Verizon is pursuing) and EDGE (which Cingular is implementing), as well as a bunch of other ones I don't remember.
    EDGE isn't quite 3G. For more info, see:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS
    Thanks so much for putting this together. There have been so many messages on this and it is great to see each step in one place. This has been a huge help. I got both the GPRS and EDGE connections to work.
    I just looked at the online billing for the Treo 650 I just set up with DUN, and I'm getting billed per-use ($83.00 in one week!) even though I have the "Unlimited Data Plan", which the store told me would allow me to use DUN.

Clearly, the employees at the store weren't very knowledgeable. I'm trying to get this sorted out with Cingular.

Anyway, I thought I would warn others: *check* with Cingular whether your plan includes data usage under DUN!!! Or you may be hit with high per-use fees.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    So did I. I'm still unclear if this uses minutes (pretty sure not). Haven't used it much; but handy when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by thewildman
    I got in on the $19.99 MediaWorks plan (unlimited data) just about 2 days before they limited it to 3MB per month.
    Thanks for the great post.

I'm paired correctly.

I did everything and I can't get it to work.

The 650 "dials" but I fail during "authentication"; I figure this is a password issue. Any ideas?

A few questions:

I am Cingular/Blue -- should this work for me?

Should I be able to either GPRS or Edge on my Treo 650?

I'm using Tiger 10.4.2. Does that make a difference?

Thanks, again.
    I went through the same problems with mine but I'm now enjoying the DUN access in areas where Wi-fi is not available.

What did the trick for me? Before you follow any of the steps that you read in this forum, UNPAIR your Treo 650 in both the handheld and the your Mac. Do a soft reset and then start with the setup. Search my previous posts, you will find a thread that detailed the proper Mac setup for me. (Too lazy to retrieve the specific post myself and am getting ready for an appt.) It should work.

Good luck and enjoy!!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast