Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Odysseus,
    Seeing the same message as you. For those of you who can debug, below are the entries in system.log post dial:

Feb 28 21:56:30 anhaka pppd[843]: Serial connection established.
    Feb 28 21:56:30 anhaka pppd[843]: Using interface ppp0
    Feb 28 21:56:30 anhaka pppd[843]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/cu.Bluetooth-Modem
    Feb 28 21:56:31 anhaka pppd[843]: Remote message: PAP access OK
    Feb 28 21:56:33 anhaka pppd[843]: LCP terminated by peer
    Feb 28 21:56:37 anhaka pppd[843]: Connection terminated.

My configuration is per the instructions given. Any ideas?
    and nothing like google.

In the telephone field in both the PPP Pane in the Network Panel as well as the Internet Connect pane, the telephone number should be set to "wap.cingular"

That allowed me to connect
    After reading this whole thread and trying every option and config this is what worked for me.

Mac powerbook os x
    go to system prefrences and then Bluetooth pair up phone USE OTHER DEVICE NOT MOBILE PHONE. pair it up with your treo then

account= WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    password= CINGULAR1
    TELEPHONE= **99***1#

MODEM SCRIPT = LOAD THE gENERIC 3G CID1

BOOM IT WORKED
    I've done DUN with several phone models before, but this Cingular Treo 650 has me stumped. I've followed this thread from start to finish as a lurker and thought the DUN would be no problem. I've hooked up Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Cingular to OSX before - I consider myself pretty capable with technology... But this Treo is seriously knocking me around and having it's way with me.

Things I know - Pairing is good. I've even deleted the pairings from the phone and the CPU several times. I turn on the Treo DUN and setup a new BT device with OS10.3.8 - the option to connect with GPRS is there during the setup screen and I've entered the various settings from this thread. I've disabled all other Network Ports just to make sure nothing is messing up my connection.

CPU and Treo Connect, Authenticate, then Disconnect.
    Here's the message I get consistantly. -

"Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again."

I've used the Generic 3G Scripts and tried making one myself. Used the standard **99***1# with 'WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM' and 'CINGULAR1' setup that worked for my customers mobile phones. Also tried the lower case wap.cingular with no success.

After every failure, I delete pairings and try again. I've even loaded the BT DUN GSM fix several times. I've done the splash screen overlay hack from Shadowmite, but I doubt it would cause this problem.

So the Treo is recognized, yet something is wrong with my PPP settings. It's probably something so minor yet so important. Any input would be much appreciated. BTW - this is with a G3 iBook running OS10.3.8 with a D-Link USB Bluetooth Module (if that even matters)

Anyway, soft resets I've done many a time during this ordeal... A hard reset will be my absolute last resort.
    Donut - I'm in the same boat as you. I'm running a Powerbook G4 with built-in BT (and 10.3.8).

I've done everything you have done and I'm getting the same error. Not only do I get "could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server...." but I also get an error that says "A Bluetooth serial failure has occurred. Failed to open an RFCOMM serial channel. Check if authentication needs to be enabled on your device."

If I remove the pairing and re-pair, it will again try to dial but will eventually give me the same error. I'm also using the Generic 3G CID1 script.

Telephone number is set to: **99***1#
    Account Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

When I try to connect the status gets to "authenticating" then it gives me the "could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again"

HELP!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rshah21
    and nothing like google.

In the telephone field in both the PPP Pane in the Network Panel as well as the Internet Connect pane, the telephone number should be set to "wap.cingular"

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!

That worked like a charm - I deleted all the **99 stuff and replaced it with wap.cingular and now I'm up and running.

Thank you!!!
    I have a Cingular Treo 650. I'm having problems just getting the hack to work so I can get the screen to allow BT DUN. I've tried 2 different files using the various methods to transfer to the phone. The one from Shadowmite (Phone_ATTW.prc) transfers over, but does nothing. The one from Trevor (BtManager.prc) causes an error "The application cannot be launched because it is missing localization information." I soft reset before and after transferring. Does anyone have any ideas? (I haven't even gotten to the part about the scripts yet.)
    How are you transfering it over? You can't do it through a sync, you either need to move it to a card and then transfer it with the card to RAM, or you need to mail it to yourself as an attachment and then save it to RAM within Versamail.
    FWIW, I helped a co-worker set up Cingular DUN on his Motorola RAZR, he also had to use wap.cingular as the phone number, the **99.... string didn't work.
    Alrighty then... The wap.cingular settings did indeed work. I'm still confused on why other people are having success with the **99***1# settings. Anyhow - thanks for all the info.

I emailed the BT hack from my .Mac account and retrieved it from my POP3 Gmail using Versamail. You can also send it via bluetooth file transfer, but you have to delete your pairing once it's been transferred to avoid problems.

Now I'm gonna try and figure out how to get rid of Xpress Mail and Quicktour. Seems like a hacked ROM is the only option... bummer.
    I tried transferring the prc file using 3 different methods:

- via email (Versamail)
    - through the SD card
    - sending it via Bluetooth

These all led to the same result. Either no difference or getting an error message as I mentioned. Any ideas? It sounds like I am missing something obvious, but I believe I was following the directions properly.
    Try mailing it to yourself and then saving the attachment to RAM (that's what I did and it worked)
    How do you specifically designate saving it to RAM?
    you just save it, as long as you don't specifically save it to an SD card it will go to RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rshah21
    and nothing like google.

thank you! it works now...i'd been scratching my head about this problem for several days..
    just wanted to say thanks to everyone, it works (Cingular/ibook G4). The big hangup for me was figuring out the difference between the telephone number in the script and the one in the modem settings. someone who actually knows what they're talking about (not me) might want to address it.

I'm psyched! I can study anywhere now and still be able to log on!

Does anyone else have issues with the touchscreen not working when the dial-up is turned on? Is this what someone was saying about "wake-up" or is this a different issue. I have to navigate with the keypad to get to the bluetooth setting and turn it DUN off before it will accept touch commmands again.

But anyway thanks. Great work, especially jposin, shadowmite and gregory. much appreciation
    Well, unfortunately, right after I got the DUN working I got in the car and figured out that my Motorola HS810 headset no longer works!

Can this be fixed? I tried re-pairing it, but the treo 650 couldn't find any nearby devices. I turned off the DUN, I did another soft reset, and still nothing...

I hope someone can help, because if they can't then I'm going to disable the DUN... having the headset working on a daily basis is more important to me.

Does anyone that has done this have a working bluetooth headset? Thanks!

Justin
    I am getting connected just fine. I surf for about 30-40 seconds. I went to bandwidthspeedtest.com and I start the test and then all of a sudden my modem disconnects and says something about the other end not responding and then I can't access BT Modem because I get a error referring to RFCOMM serial channel. Like I said I can connect....authenticate and even do some surfing, but after about 30-40 seconds get this error.

William

Please HELP!

P.S. Thanks for all the help so far although I never posted a question, I did read a lot on here to get started.

P.P.S. If anybody is using the AOLIMER on Palm from the UK (its the free one), I think that may not be compatible with this hack. I had problems even after shutting bt off, but before the hack, it was working fine. (Just an observation NOT a FACT)
    Quote Originally Posted by fmood123
    I am getting connected just fine. I surf for about 30-40 seconds. I went to bandwidthspeedtest.com and I start the test and then all of a sudden my modem disconnects and says something about the other end not responding and then I can't access BT Modem because I get a error referring to RFCOMM serial channel. Like I said I can connect....authenticate and even do some surfing, but after about 30-40 seconds get this error.

William

Please HELP!

P.S. Thanks for all the help so far although I never posted a question, I did read a lot on here to get started.

P.P.S. If anybody is using the AOLIMER on Palm from the UK (its the free one), I think that may not be compatible with this hack. I had problems even after shutting bt off, but before the hack, it was working fine. (Just an observation NOT a FACT)
    I'm having the same thing happen to me...I connect for about a minute or so, and then BOOM! I'm disconnected for no reason. Very strange...I'm open for suggestions on how to fix this!
    How much are you paying for your service? I am paying for just data around 52.00 with taxes. When I originally looked at the treo they were saying 80 dollars....Do we maybe have different plans?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast