Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I am using the generic edge script...that works...but the number settings are not def not the same for cingular. Id really love know know how Burrzoo got it working if he could supply all his settings it would be GREATLY appreciated.
    After reading many threads, and looking at Trevor's site with info specific to Sprint, I was able to get my Cingular (orange) T650 working with BT DUN. Some notes/info:

First, you don't need a private name/password like Vision. There is a generic log-in for Cingular. In the Apple Bluetooth Mobile Phone Setup, the settings are:

Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1
    GPRS CID String: **99***1#

Be sure that the username and p/w have all capital letters.

You of course need a modem script. I personally use the GPRS Script Generator app (GSG) from Massimo Valle at www.macronsoft.com. The key thing with the modem script (any modem script) is that the APN needs to be set to:
    wap.cingular (lower case).

Then you need a network setting (either create a new one called Treo BT DUN or the like, or append an old one) with the Bluetooth configuration as follows:

Telephone number: **99***1#
    Account name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM

This setup worked for me.

BTW, there is still the glitch with Shadowmite's patch where the screen wake-up is slow (10 seconds). FWIW, after I disconnect, I tap the T650 to disable DUN, then tap to turn off BT, then turn BT back on. I have not had a major hang this way. However, if I have a problem connecting the first time, the Mac can kick out an error message about an unavailable port or device. I usually need to do a soft reset on the T650 to make this work again. YMMV.

Hope this helps.
    I was able to get my Powerbook (OSX 10.3.7) connected and online with my new Treo 650 (GSM/Cingular) by using the generic 3G/EDGE script and the following settings.

1. Download and Install Scripts
    Generic 3G Scripts
    http://www.taniwha.org.uk/gprs.html

Place Modem Script into
    /Library/Modem Scripts/

and

Shadowmites DUN hack
    http://www.shadowmite.com/

replace the BT on the Palm with the Shadowmite hack

2. System Preferences on the Mac
    In Network Settings set up the Bluetooth PPP options with the settings below:
    Account Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Phone Number: NONE (that's right, zero, zilch, nothing)

3. Connect using Internet Connect and Bluetooth

--

This worked perfectly for me and from my office in Manhattan (with the Airport turned off, obviously) I was able to use my Powerbook at speeds around 70-90kbs, which isn't too bad. That's much better than the weak GPRS connection I was getting with my T610 on T-Mobile.

I'm heading up to Vermont this weekend and will hopefully be able to stay connected using my Treo and Powerbook. Now if only Versamail was able to sync multiple folders or Chattermail would take advantage of the high resolution screen...I'd be all set!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEvan23
    I am using the generic edge script...that works...but the number settings are not def not the same for cingular. Id really love know know how Burrzoo got it working if he could supply all his settings it would be GREATLY appreciated.
    BigEvan23,

Using Gregory's info (except that I did use a phone number of **99***1#), here's a couple of screenshots to go with his info that show the settings I used in "Internet Connect".

burrzoo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Burrzoo; 02/09/2005 at 11:15 PM. Reason: forgot some info..
  5.    #25  
    These are the settings I have been using from day 1 and its still not working. Maybe the location in my house im trying it in isn't so hot. I dunno perhaps ill give it a whirl on the road cause nothing is wrong on my end!

ARRRRRG if I see authenticating followed by disconnecting im gonna flip!

Evan

Thank you all! I appreciate your efforts!
  6.    #26  
    Got it working actually the problem was the modem script...for whatever reason the generic wasnt working so i created my own and badaboom it worked...can't explain it but ill take it thats for sure!
    Got it working actually the problem was the modem script...for whatever reason the generic wasnt working so i created my own and badaboom it worked...can't explain it but ill take it thats for sure!
    BigEvan23, i am not having any luck w/ the generic 3G script myself either, can you please post or PM me the script you created that is working correctly? i just keep getting...

"Could not open the communication device."

...everytime i try to connect... any help would be great..!
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    How do "YOU" spell relief? Way to go, bud! Glad you got it worked out.
  9.    #29  
    Thanks Burrzoo...I appreciate it, man that was really starting to get to me. BTW...JPOSIN, you dont have to reset the phone when that happens. Just turn off bluetooth on your mac or on your phone and then reconnect. It will work and certainly be less annoying! ShinoSetsuna, all you have to do is go to Macronsoft.com as mentioned by another poster a few replies up and download the program. I didnt even pay for it. I just made the apn wap.cingular and selected the fastest speed in the menu. Once it was generated it worked fine! To think it was the lousy script all along!
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Any possibility of a step-by-step for the ROM hack? Also, is this at all reversable, and how?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gregory17

and

Shadowmites DUN hack
    http://www.shadowmite.com/

replace the BT on the Palm with the Shadowmite hack
  11.    #31  
    Sure...
    Download the patch from shadowmite's site. The one at the bottom that says GSM DUN Bluetooth patch. Email the patch to yourself. Some suggest resetting once before you even start the process so why not do it just in case. Open versamail and click ont he patch. From there it will ask you to overwrite click yes and perform a soft reset. Then once u open bluetooth you will have the DUN option. If you want to remove the patch got into a program like FileZ and click on the internal memory and click the rom box. You will see 2 files that say BtManager one has a little rom icon next to it and the other will not. To return to original status delete the one without the rom next to it and you will be running like normal.

just wanted to point out this was an informative thread. i'm waffling over getting the overpriced GSM unlocked now for DUN and resale value VS switching to Cingular when my contract with T-Mo is up in May. I'm a long time Mac user with serious DUN needs b/c I travel for work. Again, this thread has been very helpful.
    BTW, there is a thread posted elsewhere with a link to PalmOne's support site which addresses the erroneous info found in the Cingular T650 manual that discusses BT DUN (which we all know is not currently officially supported). See:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,case=obj(34830)

The gist is that reportedly there will be a patch coming to enable BT DUN for Cingular T650s. Meanwhile, I'll use Shadowmite's patch.
  14.    #34  
    Its weird my DUN was working fine last night but when I tried it today it authenticated and worked fine but nothing loaded. It was conected and sending and recieving but always seemed to time out. I manually entered DNS entries but it didnt help. ANY IDEA'S??? Maybe its a temp thing...yah that must be it AAAAARRRG!
    Evan

ps JPOSIN: DId you pay for the GPRS generator or just create a script using the apn wap.cingular...thanks

edit: Internet on the phone is doing the same thing...connecting sucessfully but not loading any content...must be a network issue. errr I hope!

edit: ahhhh how nice...it was a network issue...Cingular went down nationwide last night around midnight and back up again around 3am EST. Must be new data plans kicking in.
    Last edited by BigEvan23; 02/11/2005 at 06:39 AM.
    I personally paid for Massimo Valle's intellectual effort on GPRS Script Generator (www.macronsoft.com) (...support your local programmer) and built a Cingular script, but I understand that if you do not register/pay you can use GSG and build a generic script that will work if you edit the APN and modem speed.
    woe is me, i just cannot get this to work. i have followed the directions posted in this thread to the letter but i only get the message:

...when i try to dial out. i have tried w/ both the phone # area left blank, and w/ the **99***1#, but no difference, i just keep getting that same error msg whenever i try to connect. the DUN patch seemingly installed and is working fine, it shows DUN is 'ON'... all settings have been checked and double-checked over and over again, i cant figure out what the problem is and this is really going to become a problem once i am out of town this coming weekend, was *really* counting on having EDGE support for my Powerbook...

btw, i have tried both the generic 3G script, as well as generated my own w/ the tool linked to above, but no difference..
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    woe is me, i just cannot get this to work. i have followed the directions posted in this thread to the letter but i only get the message:

...when i try to dial out. i have tried w/ both the phone # area left blank, and w/ the **99***1#, but no difference, i just keep getting that same error msg whenever i try to connect. the DUN patch seemingly installed and is working fine, it shows DUN is 'ON'... all settings have been checked and double-checked over and over again, i cant figure out what the problem is and this is really going to become a problem once i am out of town this coming weekend, was *really* counting on having EDGE support for my Powerbook...

btw, i have tried both the generic 3G script, as well as generated my own w/ the tool linked to above, but no difference..
    i'm about to try starting over altogether at this point, i don't understand how others are getting it to work but i cannot... i'm doing a hard-reset right now and try to get DUN working before installing *anything* else, i'm assuming its some application causing the problem...
    ok, now i'm depressed. after a hard-reset, and only installing the DUN patch according to instructions, i still just get the same error whenever i try to dial out using DUN, "Could not open the communication device."... is there any other alternative to get the 650 to work as a modem w/ a Mac? i really needed DUN for a trip this coming weekend. is there any USB-cable derived solutions perhaps..?
    Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    ok, now i'm depressed. after a hard-reset, and only installing the DUN patch according to instructions, i still just get the same error whenever i try to dial out using DUN, "Could not open the communication device."...
    Try deleting the Bluetooth pairing with your phone and then re-pairing it. See my page for more info: http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/

Trevor
    Quote Originally Posted by vocaro
    Try deleting the Bluetooth pairing with your phone and then re-pairing it. See my page for more info: http://vocaro.com/trevor/treo-dun/

Trevor
    Trevor, if i could reach you through this screen i would kiss you (and i am female, so don't be afraid!)... i am sending this reply via BT DUN through my 650 right now, you were right... it was the pairing issue. i think it is due to the fact that i was pairing the phone to the computer *before* installing the DUN patch, it is working like clockwork now and my upcoming trip is saved in terms of being able to stay online! thx so much, have a wonderful day..!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast