Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    I live in the Twin Cities an I'm look for a map program for the Visor that would have a map of the metro region. I've been playing with Handmap, and I love the program, but they don't have any maps for my city.

    Are there any freeware/commercialware solutions out there that anyone is using?
  2. #2  
    I use and really like StreetFinder. StreetFinder lets you generate maps from their PC based software package which means they have maps for everywhere in the US. You basically zoom into the area that you want and then generate the map which then creates the prc file. It has lots of great street level info including street numbers, points of interest, restuarants, etc. I think they're still giving a $20 mail-in rebate making it $30 purchase.

    Maps are quite a bit larger than competing products, but should not be a problem with the 8meg visor.
  3. yim
    yim is offline
    yim's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    #3  
    take a look at these sites
    http://www.handmap.net

    i have been runing their demo, so do not have mpls map cause i would need to buy it but of all the map programs i have looked at this looks like a good one.

    i am also test driving street signs, which had good detail and options, i.e like search for streets, make spots, etc.
    http://www.trekware.com

    let me know if you like one over the other since i spend a lot of time in mpls and would be interested.

    i am waiting for navcom to release their gps with maps module for the Visor, so am holding off on buying anything right now.
  4. #4  
    Has anyone here tried ROUTE USA by Palmtop Software? I just came across it last night. It appears to actually plot routes to your destination for you and navigates you there if you have a GPS receiver! No demo or reviews available though. It looks promising... Can't make an assessment without some additional input. Anybody have any?

    Route USA can be found at: www.palmtop.nl/palm/routeusa.html
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by SPDusek:
    Has anyone here tried ROUTE USA by Palmtop Software? I just came across it last night. It appears to actually plot routes to your destination for you and navigates you there if you have a GPS receiver! No demo or reviews available though. It looks promising... Can't make an assessment without some additional input. Anybody have any?

    Route USA can be found at: www.palmtop.nl/palm/routeusa.html
    The one user review at palmgear.com does not look too promising

  6. #6  
    the 'true el'cheapo' solution that i use before travelling might appeal to some:

    Get a program like ViewerIII (free). Get the PC part that converts images into .pdb files for ViewerIII (also free!).

    Goto www.mapquest.com and build a map of the area you're interesting in (downtown of a city or an area)

    Choose the options link and convert the map into a black and white image. Save that image (right click and 'save picture as'

    Convert that image to a .pdb and load it onto the visor.

    ViewerIII let's you zoom in and scroll around using your stylus and with a few practice shots it's easy to create a map that you can read the street names on!!

    i've got maps for quite a few places and it works great!

    [This message has been edited by Hoser_in_USA (edited 03-12-2000).]
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for all of the tips. I just took a second look at Handmap and just realized they DO have a map of the twin cities...its just that it is divided up into counties instead of metro regions. Unfortunately, this means I'd have to buy 5 or seperate maps which would be cumbersome and rather expensive.

    I'm looking into Streetfinder, but can't tell if there is a Mac version or not.

    Trekware's StreetSigns looks excellent. It has all sorts of cities, and you can edit them yourself to add your favorite spots and it appears to interface with your address book (a mini mapquest on you Palm!)

    Hoser_in_USA's suggestion of piecing Mapquest files together is a good one, though it would take me a better part of an afternoon to piece together enough stree-level maps to make a metro area map (anyone interested in swapping Mapquest city maps?)
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by homer:
    ...(anyone interested in swapping Mapquest city maps?)
    sure!

    I've got:
    Washington DC metro area
    Three Rivers Map (area surrounding Pittsburgh)
    Washington DC Downtown (with monuments and museums listed!)
    Baltimore Inner Harbor
    Downtown Pittsburgh
    Arlington, VA
    Toronto Underground (PATH - maze of underground malls in downtown Toronto)

    Subway maps:

    New York City subway
    DC Metro (subway)
    Toronto Subway


    If anybody wants a copy of these maps to view on ViewerIII (or any image viewer i guess) let me know!

  9.    #9  
    OK. I've been messing with Mapquest's "CUSTOMIZE MAP" feature. It currently only allows a map to be generated at 999 x 999 pixels...which is just too small at street-level magnification to be useful.

    So...I've been trying to by pass the 999 limit by modifying the form that submits the criteria for the custom map (by modifying the field forms to not have a limit of 3 digits). The idea is that you could then view a map at 80000 x 80000 pixels or so and be able to download an entire map of a region into your palm pilot as one file.

    GRANTED this would be a big-*** file!

    Anyways, I've been able to get it to generate a map larger than 999 x 999 but I'm loosing the map coordinates in the process (it just draws a huge mapquest logo). Apparently Mapquest is passing some server side criteria through the CGI script that I may or may not be able to intercepted.

    So, that's jusy an FYI for anyone out there that wants to take a crack at it. Let us know if there is a way!

    [This message has been edited by homer (edited 03-14-2000).]
  10.    #10  
    Well, I've found that you are limited to 999x999 size maps on Mapquest. So now, I am just piecing a few together to try it out.

    Hoser: you mentioned the program ViewerIII to view these images...where did you find that? (it doesn't appear to be on palmgear.com or handango.com)

    [This message has been edited by homer (edited 03-15-2000).]
  11. #11  
    Originally posted by homer:
    Hoser: you mentioned the program ViewerIII to view these images...where did you find that? (it doesn't appear to be on palmgear.com or handango.com)

    I don't remember. don't feel like searching, i'll just email you the zip file and the conversion program.

  12. #12  
    ok i searched...
    http://www.palmspot.com/software/det...593a_9827.html
    http://www.palmspot.com/software/det...28a_98351.html

    they work well and although the image viewer is shareware, the only hassle is a once a day 10 second countdown which disappears after viewing the first image of the day.

  13. Raff's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    #13  
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA:
    the 'true el'cheapo' solution that i use before travelling might appeal to some:

    Get a program like ViewerIII (free). Get the PC part that converts images into .pdb files for ViewerIII (also free!).

    Goto www.mapquest.com and build a map of the area you're interesting in (downtown of a city or an area)

    Choose the options link and convert the map into a black and white image. Save that image (right click and 'save picture as'

    Convert that image to a .pdb and load it onto the visor.

    ViewerIII let's you zoom in and scroll around using your stylus and with a few practice shots it's easy to create a map that you can read the street names on!!

    i've got maps for quite a few places and it works great!

    [This message has been edited by Hoser_in_USA (edited 03-12-2000).]
    Just a quick note - ViewerIII was bought by Firepad. The updated version is FireViewer and is still shareware. They also updated the converter program (FireConverter) to convert images into .tga graphic files used by FireViewer.

    For the occasional map this is the way to go by using free maps available on the net http://www.firepad.com/download/index.html

  14. #14  
    Hi Folks:

    You may want to check out the following review:
    http://www.sammysoft.com/software/pa...s/quovadis.htm

    Quo Vadis is also the mapping software that the HandyGPS Springboard module will come with, when it ships.

    Take care,

    Jerry
  15. #15  
    i just downloaded Mapopolis...
    www.mapopolis.com i think that's the site...checkout www.palmspot.com, it's on there.

    it's free and they have a large database of maps. i'll let you know how it works soon.

    ------------------
  16. Raff's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    #16  
    I found www.mapopolis.com today myself. It is worth checking out.

    They have a free viewer and free county maps. It allows you to zoom in and out, see street names, shows points of interest, and even search for street names and places. The map resolution is pretty decent also. It will even give you the address and number for Pizza Hut in the town you are visiting (I think I saw Sub Way also).

    I still am keeping FireViewer but for maps I'm using mapopolis for now.
  17. #17  
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA:
    sure!

    I've got:
    Washington DC metro area
    Three Rivers Map (area surrounding Pittsburgh)
    Washington DC Downtown (with monuments and museums listed!)
    Baltimore Inner Harbor
    Downtown Pittsburgh
    Arlington, VA
    Toronto Underground (PATH - maze of underground malls in downtown Toronto)

    Subway maps:

    New York City subway
    DC Metro (subway)
    Toronto Subway


    If anybody wants a copy of these maps to view on ViewerIII (or any image viewer i guess) let me know!

    hoser - what format is the nyc subway map. i have the image viewer format and boy does it suck. the resolution is bad, it doesn't distinguish between express and local trains, and the grayscale is not enough to differentiate the traditional colors of the lines. is your version better?

    if so can you email it to me?

    tahnks...

    matty

  18. #18  
    geez matty. i'm SO sorry. I was travelling this weekend and needed to make space on the visor so i started deleting stuff left, right and, centre. Well, one fo the 'casualties' was that map...figures. i'll try and remember where i downloaded it from..i think it may have been the same as what you're discribing though....i'll look around.
  19.    #19  
    Hoser/Matty:

    Hoser...I think you sent me those maps via email. I never said thanks (sorry). Actually, I never got a chance to look at them. I'll try and dig for them at home tonight and if I find them, I'll send a copy to Matty.

    The Mapopolis is JUST what I am lookinf for! This looks like a great product. I think they are working it as a free product by having businesses pay to have their listings shown...a great idea.

    The ONLY gripe I have with this program (and several of the others) is that they are all devided into counties.

    Counties are probably the LEAST significant geographical deliminator there is. NO ONE cares about counties. I wish they'd recognize metro regions as areas as opposed to counties.
  20. #20  
    i agree...i need to load up 6 maps to have a good 'area map' of Baltimore/DC!! and those mapopolis maps arent't that small either!! but i'm NOT complaining...about the size of the files..the level of detail is amazing in some instances!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions