Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Dallas (north) bad signal in my house bounces between 1 and 4

200k test

109 Kbit/Sec
    1.727s latency
    16.336s d/l time
    I don't buy any of these figures. On a Nokia 6620 with Cingular EDGE I see about 100kbps consistently with the WAP browser, and only about 40kbps with both the 6620's HTML browser (Opera) and the Treo 650 (Blazer).

The only real speed test I'd have any faith in is to tether and do a large enough download to "average out" the data transfer rate. I'll be trying that soon.

Todd/Indy
    I found this thread about a week ago, and have been testing this out for a week. Not sure how reliable this site is for testing.

These are my results using T-Mo Internet in MINNESOTA of all places.

5K, 50K and 100 K will not work, error I receive is unstable/too fast a result (.0388s)
    This is pretty consistant.
    These are the results for 200k over the past week at various times of the day.
    (by the way I use WebPro for my browser)
    200k:
    302 kbit/sec
    0.088s latency
    5.371s d/l time

275 kbit/sec
    0.087s latency
    5.899s d/l time

366 kbits/sec
    0.111 latency
    4.466s d/l time

303 kbits/sec
    0.096 latency

So as you can see these are really high compared to others. Not sure what that means and also I've just got a T600.

So I'm not sure what this means or if this download test is reliable.

tippymn
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Any way to tell why my speed is so low? I'm on Cingular in NYC, and I'm getting 10-20 kbps via dslreports.com/mspeed
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    I have posted speeds above 150k. I know I have gotten over 170K. I am not saying it is common or anything, but I have done it.

Speeds that are crazy high have something to do with Xiino and not the EDGE network speeds. The data connection on a Treo tops out someplace in the 170's. Actual data transfer rates are higher, but the rest is overhead required for the connection and not user data.
    Is xiino a browser, or a subscription service? The reason I ask is because I use Thunderhawk with my PPC6600, and it is a monthly service that gives you its own browser and connects you at their server speeds. If you try to measure speed you'll get up to 100 Mbps. That's impossible for a mobile device to achieve, or any broadband home connection for that matter. So, I'm only seeing Thunderhawk's server speed, but reading it on my little PPC phone. Could this be the case with xiino?
    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen
    I don't buy any of these figures. On a Nokia 6620 with Cingular EDGE I see about 100kbps consistently with the WAP browser, and only about 40kbps with both the 6620's HTML browser (Opera) and the Treo 650 (Blazer).

The only real speed test I'd have any faith in is to tether and do a large enough download to "average out" the data transfer rate. I'll be trying that soon.

Todd/Indy
    I agree with you. The true test is FTP download speed. But what you use makes a huge difference. See my reply above about Thunderhawk, and xiino.

Hell, I downloaded 50 MB in 0.005 seconds with Thunderhawk. Who can fanthom that? Not me. It's impossible with existing mobile wireless.
    Quote Originally Posted by sck18
    Any way to tell why my speed is so low? I'm on Cingular in NYC, and I'm getting 10-20 kbps via dslreports.com/mspeed
    I'm so glad to see you post this. I'm averaging about 32 kbps in NYC on Cingular. I was beginning to get depressed with all these much faster speeds people were posting. I guess I'm not alone.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    My speeds are very slow here in Naperville, IL which is just outside of Chicago. Oddly enough, my father has the exact same phone as gets in the 100-120k range. I'm usually in the 15-30k range.

Here are some examples:

50k test:
    15 kbit/sec
    2.343s latency
    27.602 d/l time

100k test:
    34 kbit/sec
    3.66 latency
    25.018 d/l time

100k test (again):
    17 kbit/sec
    2.36 latency
    49.073 d/l time

200k test:
    27 kbit/sec
    2.096 latency
    59.864 d/l time

This sure as heck doesn't seem like Edge speed to me. I get better results with both my Treo 600 and 6315 iPAQ on T-Mobile.
    Again, ignore these numbers that anything other than a tethered, FTP download gives. They're BO-GUS... Look at all the rampant pie-in-the-sky results beyond the theoretical limitations of the network technology being reported here... Don't let a "low" result bother you--they're bogus, too.

Todd/Indy
    Does anyone know if there is an EDGE setting for mMode? I have the GPRS setting in pref->connection, and my speed is very slow throughout the Dallas area. I'm getting 37-60 kbits/sec. Which feels no faster then my old 600.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    No posts here since March, but it is the most recent thread I found about speed tests for the data connection - are there other (more reliable) speed test sites to check - besides dslreports.com/mspeed? Reading some of the posts here looks like it might not be the best way to check.

I am somewhat disapointed in the network performance of my Treo - Here are the results I got:

4 bars - Cingular Orange - Blazer - Birmingham Alabama

50k - 29kbit/sec - 2.293s latency - 15.856s d/l
    100k - 58kbit/sec - 2.2s latency - 15.963s d/l
    200k - 68kbit/sec - 2.288s latency - 25.574s d/l

I *think* these feel about right - it seems comparable to what I remember a 56k modem feeling like, which I guess isn't too bad, but I did expect more. Guess I've been spoiled by high speed at home and work.

I recently did the Cingular 1.17 update to my phone, and since then, when it connects to the (data) network, it says something about Media Net, I think - it comes and goes too quick for me to have actually read it. I don't remember that before the 1.17 upgrade... Is that something to be concerned about? Should I change my network settings?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I got pretty decent results. I'm in the NYC area. I used to use wap way back when I was with tmobile using Sony Ericcson t68. but I think tmobile's was is still slow when I compared it with my friend's sidekick.

Cingular full bar reception results:

50k - 79kbit/sec - 3.075s latency - 8.114s d/l time
    100k - 100kbit/sec - 2.884s latency - 10.741s d/l time
    200k - 110kbit/sec - 2.691 latency - 16.74s d/l time
    Sony Clie N610C Sony Clie N710C Sony Clie UX50 Palm Tungsten T|5 Locked Cingular Treo 650 Locked Cingular Treo 680
    "You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from." - Joey Tribbiani
    "...Again, ignore these numbers that anything other than a tethered, FTP download gives..."

I would agree. I have used DUNS on both T-Mo and Cingular to download large files using a laptop. I found they both consistently start off fairly high (100kbps+), then after the first quarter meg or so, they both drop significantly. At the end of a 1-2megaBYTE download, the average speed is about 30-50kBIT for both T-Mo and Cingular.

So, I am leave to assume that either some buffering is taking place, or some queuing is done based on utilization. The more bits you have been pushing, the lower your priority. As to whether the carrier is doing such queuing, it is not relevant. The relevant thing is the sustained speed is not anywhere near the burst.

The PC-Card (EVDO, Verizon) doesn't have that problem. Their sustained speed is more consistent with the aircard.
    In Louisville, KY on Sprint I see 85-134kbit/s depending on location.

I have not configured DUN with the Treo (no BT-enabled PCs) or downloaded an FTP client yet but I did set up a relative's Sprint phone as a modem on their PC and we saw sustained download & streaming audio transfer rates of 60kbit.

If I get a chance this weekend I will set up a 5+MB FTP transfer on my treo.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Here in Grand Rapids, MI, using T-MobileWeb ($5.99) in my basement with the 200k test:

76 kbit/sec
    3.016s latency
    23.34 d/l time
    Using my XV6700 on 3 tests on full signal

I got

654 kbit/sec
    .906s latency
    7.952s d/l time.

396 kbit/sec
    .604s latency
    12.725s d/l

353 kbit/sec