Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsickz
    which sprint phones? I'm considering the ppc6600 or the (another) treo 650
    I tried Sprint Treo 650, PPC6601, and Sanyo 8200. For data speed they were all great.

PPC6600 is the camera version of the 6601. Lots of people are happy with it, some are not. Read forums like PDAphonehome.com for user reviews, comments, complaints, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertone
    Wow.

After consistently getting 36-40 kbps with Blazer, I just downloaded Xiino. Xiino just delivered me 338 kbps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's odd. I've not seen an EDGE phone achieving over 150 kbps based on user tests at different forums. Did you use http://deslreports.com/mspeed?
    I'm with T-Mobile in Santa Monica and have been averaging 115kbps w/ 1.5s latency on my Treo 650 Unlocked.

Now, my questions is how much faster are the people on Cingular with EDGE? Supposedly T-Mobile has begun rolling out EDGE, but nothing's official. So, is ~115kbps an indication that I'm utilizing EDGE? Or is their GPRS implementation really kickass?
    No wonder I always hate going on the web with my Treo!
    I'm in midtown Manhattan, and I've done the test several times in the last few minutes, and I average 32kbit/sec!
    Here's my time:

Atlanta, GA
    Sprint 4 bars (CDMA)
    100k file

101 kbit/sec
    2.419 latency
    10.317s d/l time
    Obviously EDGE is not all it is advertised to be for most...

Just wait till CDMA goes 3G .
    2G - 3G Cellular Wireless data transport terminology

Offers some details regarding what the 3G services are all about and speeds.
    Quote Originally Posted by pramit
    I'm with T-Mobile in Santa Monica and have been averaging 115kbps w/ 1.5s latency on my Treo 650 Unlocked.

Now, my questions is how much faster are the people on Cingular with EDGE? Supposedly T-Mobile has begun rolling out EDGE, but nothing's official. So, is ~115kbps an indication that I'm utilizing EDGE? Or is their GPRS implementation really kickass?
    Cingular in Santa Monica....using the 200 kb test on mspeed, I get
    319 kbit/sec using Xiino....
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Sprint in a bar at LAX:

135 kbit/sec
    2.165s latency
    13.957s d/l time.
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    UMTS is coming to GSM networks to increase data speeds. I was not of the impression that EDGE was ever supposed to be able to beat EVDO. Also EDGE could go twice as fast as we are getting on our GSM 650s with 4 downloads slots, if we were able to get an 8 slot device. I don't know that this will ever happen though because it is currently not supported under the GSM standard (although it seems that a hypathetical 8 slot device was used when coming up with EDGE's top speed).
    The reason why they don't do an 8 slot is because this is tying up 8 voice channels. This is where CDMA kick's GSM's but. The CDMA 1xRTT data doesn't use any bandwidth unless data is sent while the GSM models use 2 or 4 voice channels. The GSM carriers hate data because it ties up tons of bandwidth.

Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    The reason why they don't do an 8 slot is because this is tying up 8 voice channels. This is where CDMA kick's GSM's but. The CDMA 1xRTT data doesn't use any bandwidth unless data is sent while the GSM models use 2 or 4 voice channels. The GSM carriers hate data because it ties up tons of bandwidth.

Glenn
    Yes on GSM data does tie up a traffic channel that could be used for voice (unless it is a dedicated data channel - in that case it never gets used for voice). The channel is only tied up when the data is being sent though and it is not as if multimple data devices do not share the same slots.

I would have to say the reason they don't do 8 slot download devices is because it is not defined in the GPRS/EDGE standard. Also there may be control issues with the device not having time to "listen" if it is always receiving data. The device would likely have to have a second radio - one to transmit and receive and the other to listen to control information.

I would have to say saying GSM carriers hat data is a pretty unusual statement considering ATTWS and Cingular moved to GSM SO that they could provide a data solution and a clear path to 3G services. So I am not buying that one. Data drives cool cevices which drive sales, which everyone likes.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    That's odd. I've not seen an EDGE phone achieving over 150 kbps based on user tests at different forums. Did you use http://deslreports.com/mspeed?
    I have posted speeds above 150k. I know I have gotten over 170K. I am not saying it is common or anything, but I have done it.

Speeds that are crazy high have something to do with Xiino and not the EDGE network speeds. The data connection on a Treo tops out someplace in the 170's. Actual data transfer rates are higher, but the rest is overhead required for the connection and not user data.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by pqfnb2
    No wonder I always hate going on the web with my Treo!
    I'm in midtown Manhattan, and I've done the test several times in the last few minutes, and I average 32kbit/sec!
    I would dare to wager that you are on the T-Mobile network and not the "Blue" Cingular network (read old AT&T Wireless network). If that is the case you are using GPRS because that is all T-Mobile has, and that is what all Cingular users had who were using that network while Cingular leased access to T-Mobile's network. Cingular did not have their own network in NYC until purchasing AT&T Wireless.
    Treo 650 GSM
    helpermonkey - Xiino is passing data via a proxy server which is probably giving you false results.

Try the speed tests with Blazer to see your results.
    Test from Sprint CDMA in my house in Phoenix: (Only 2 Bars of Signal)

110 Kbit/Sec
    3.128s latency
    8.979s d/l time
    Quote Originally Posted by calvins
    got 59k in shreveport, LA. Rep said we had edge. I am on media words. Not sure if that is the issue. my 600 seemed faster, but it was on the data plan? I am with cingular.
    is there a speed diffrence between media work and the higher data plans ?

is it possible if you are on the higher data plan you are using EDGE and on media work GPRS?
    i just did a side by side test of sprint and cingular

cingular, 4 bars, 69kbps, 1.798 latency
    sprint, 3 bars, 83kbps, 2.594 latency

somebody shoot me before I shoot myself. THEY BOTH SUCK ***!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcsickz
    i just did a side by side test of sprint and cingular

cingular, 4 bars, 69kbps, 1.798 latency
    sprint, 3 bars, 83kbps, 2.594 latency
    Where are you?

Just be nice to know the location these results came from
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Where are you?

Just be nice to know the location these results came from
    the wonderful, laid back, technology-lacking city of New Orleans.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    helpermonkey - Xiino is passing data via a proxy server which is probably giving you false results.

Try the speed tests with Blazer to see your results.
    Thanks but I am not using Xiino myself, people just keep posting speeds here using it that are faster than technically possible with EDGE.

Quote Originally Posted by hberbout123
    is there a speed diffrence between media work and the higher data plans ?

is it possible if you are on the higher data plan you are using EDGE and on media work GPRS?

No.
    Treo 650 GSM
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast