View Poll Results: Pricing For ProfileCare aka ScheduleCare Phase II. (Honest Options Please)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10 - $15

7 29.17%
  • $15 - $20

13 54.17%
  • $20 - $25

2 8.33%
  • $25 - $30

2 8.33%
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    jeff. yes simple pop uplist w/slider would be most efficient.
    yeah.. I've been member of shadowmite.com since jan 7th I believe..... :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I like it. But the question is will other people like it? The one problem right now is that I tried to get poplists to work when I first created the screen. There is some wierd things going on that I couldn't find a solution for. Things are much different in the part of the application. When this screen is active, SC is not a "real" application if that makes sense. It is only partially given UI control. So not all of the controls behave the same as they when the application is fully loaded. So if possible I need to stay away from dynamic controls like poplists and sliders. How about an alternative? What would people think about a set of up/down arrows that would continually change the existing 6 button labels to the next set of 6 profiles? The next question would be how do I determine the initial order of placement?
    Maybe we should put together a few different mockups and post a poll. I don't know if the beta group is really big enough for that - you would have a better feel for that.

http://pka.xathros.com/%7Exathros/gp...fileselect.jpg

How about Left / right buttons just below the 6 profile buttons to flip pages left and right. Sorta like the favorites pages in blazer or phone app. On the profile config screen, you could assign an id# to each profile that allows us to control the order in which they are displayed on the select screen. That would eliminate the popup list below the select buttons. If we didnt need to worry about code size, I would suggest a method of sorting/aranging profiles like that of the blazer favorites (drag'n'drop) but I think thats gettin carried away a bit.

I was thinking along the same lines. Nice layout but there are some additional things I think we need on this screen. Master mute status (yet to be implemented), system sounds, etc....
    Thanks. It was a quick and dirty off the cuff thing. I agree that it needs some more functionality. To that end:

http://pka.xathros.com/%7Exathros/gp...iveprofile.jpg

Make the "Audio:" label into a check box for master mute. Should be able to tighten things up enough to sneak the sys sound status in below the other audio selections. Make the form title display the active profile, use the recovered space for tabs (2 or 3). Tab 2 could show ringtone & alerts currently active. Tab 3 could show textual info describing the currently active profile, category and or calendar commands. Maybe a list taken from the likes of what palm internals shows listing the remaing sc events and their expiration times in top half of screen and in the lower half, list what the selected entry above has control of. Call it the SC Inspector... This screen could be designed for use with the stylus. Elements could be smaller and packed tighter together to make more room for the info.

The buttons at the bottom should be outside the tabs and always be on the screen reguardless of the tab selected.

This might actually be easier to do as a second application. Am I correct that all of the SC data is stored in files (on disk so to say) and could therfore be read by another application ? If so, maybe the PowerUp "State-Of-The-Treo" does not need to be part of the main SC codebase and could actually exist as a seperate prc. Yes/ no ?

Also remember that multiple profiles can be active together with calendar commands. I am struggling with how to show this. Potentially there could be a profile or calendar entry for each possible command in ScheduleCare. Very unlikely but possible. That would mean that there would be, at the preset time, 22 active "owners" of configurations at any one time.
    I think we may be getting in too deep here. I suspect most people are going to use timed and manual profiles. A few of us will go the distance and use cal/cat commands as well. I think a text based screen (Tab 3 above) showing the active profiles, and commands will suffice for the power user and the more simplistic "State of the Treo" (Tab 1/2) would be all most would look at.

If I can get it to work, I think a touch and hold on a configuration could produce a hover-text that showed the owner of this setting. Any setting that was not active would be greyed out or have an X through it. Something like that. Thoughts?????
    It would be nice to see that kind of control but considering the limited space you have to work with, that may be a bit heavy code wise. As it is, some functions in SC are starting to show lag. I'm not sure if this is due to size of the codebase or data access from NVRAM but this is something to keep an eye on.

My goal on the status screen was to display what I felt were the most critical of the treo's settings in a concise way for at a glance use. There is only so much that can fit on the small screen and this dialog is supposed to be a brief popup at power on. The less there is to read and the more graphical it can be, the better.

On another note, Tanster mentioned a desire to be able to "Dupe" a profile. This sounds like a great idea to me and I would think it would be fairly easy to implement. Any thoughts ?

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 03/10/2005 at 09:46 AM.
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    yes x..& jeff
    consider how much cpu this thing is going to take up... great app.. but not practical if it slows the treo even more.. & if some apps won't run because of the mem/cpu drain. zlauncher is on most our treos & that is a mem hog (speed). I don't use brightcam because it slowed my treo waaay down.
    Johnski-

I wouldn't expect SC to slow down the device under normal use no matter how big it gets. It's just some of the SC screens may show some lag while they load/initialize. Shouldn't have any effect on other apps. CPU usage is not really a concern except for the background processing stuff (command execution engine) as when an app is running, it's pretty much all thats running. The command engine I believe is close to if not finished. It executes when the palm internal timer calls it for a scheduled event but is otherwise inactive (If I understand the implementation correctly).

ZLauncher on the other hand, is used for all app launches and will have an effect when launching/ending an app. Once the app is running there should be no change in performance with or without ZLauncher.

-X
    Xathros

6.    #166  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Johnski-

I wouldn't expect SC to slow down the device under normal use no matter how big it gets. It's just some of the SC screens may show some lag while they load/initialize. Shouldn't have any effect on other apps. CPU usage is not really a concern except for the background processing stuff (command execution engine) as when an app is running, it's pretty much all thats running. The command engine I believe is close to if not finished. It executes when the palm internal timer calls it for a scheduled event but is otherwise inactive (If I understand the implementation correctly).

ZLauncher on the other hand, is used for all app launches and will have an effect when launching/ending an app. Once the app is running there should be no change in performance with or without ZLauncher.

-X
    Just a quick update. I am down the with worst FLU that I have ever had: :-(

As for the performance, I do not believe that will be an issue. The main CPU cosumer is reading the calendar file. If you have a *large* number of entries for a particular day, you might see a slow down *only* when the modification time gets changed on the databookDB.

I will get back to creating updates hopefully in the next day or so.

Jeff
    Just a quick update. I am down the with worst FLU that I have ever had: :-(
    I can sympathize. I went through that last week. Feel better.

-X
    Xathros

I liked how you put the ball in robs court over @ mtdn... bravo..
    we'll see if he responds.. thanx jeff.
    as far as slow down.. isn't there only like 10 mb heap mem for running programs? geez.. don't all these apps we have running in the background add up? lol...
    I have been playing around with ScheduleCare 0.8.9, and it looks quite promising. My first exploration has centered on the keyboard background lights, and I believe there is still room for improvement:

- Whenever I enter the main app, the keyboard lights turn off

- I cannot find a way to enable / disable the keyboard light with a profile, only a switch to enable / disable the keyboard shortcut for it

- The debounce logic could be better when I use one of the shift keys as a hot key. When I press down the shift key and then press another letter while holding down the shift key, I still get the hot key action. Is it possible to detect the second key press, and have him cause the hot key action to be ignored?

- This enables me to demonstrate a blinking keyboard: set one of the shift keys to toggle the keyboard backlight, and start a new memo. Now hold down both the shift key and any letter. While the memo fills with the letter, the backlight changes state everytime a new letter is added to the memo.

The other thing I noticed is that you are quite inconsistent in your five-way support. The profile selection pop up supports, but several of the screens of the main app don't.

I hope you keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Moroner; 03/12/2005 at 01:58 PM.
    How come ScheduleCare will not allow me to put a check mark in the enable box next to Profile Manager?
    I have got another problem with the auto screen dimming feature:

- When I manually enable a profile with dimming on, and then stop running that profile, the auto dim feature stays on. I tried overriding that by starting another profile with auto dim off, but it did not change the behaviour
    - The auto dim kicks in even while running TomTom, which normally keeps the screen on forever. Not too nice to loose your map while driving!
    - It would be nice if you could include the ability to have no automatic screen turn off while on external power.
  12.    #172  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moroner
    I have been playing around with ScheduleCare 0.8.9, and it looks quite promising. My first exploration has centered on the keyboard background lights, and I believe there is still room for improvement:

- Whenever I enter the main app, the keyboard lights turn off
    How would you expect them to behave when you enter SC? The problem is that I have to turn off the realtime processing of the keyboard while I am in SC. So this means that I can either have them on or off. I have thought of providing a control that would allow for the manual toggling of the KB lights on the main screen. Would this help?

- I cannot find a way to enable / disable the keyboard light with a profile, only a switch to enable / disable the keyboard shortcut for it
    There is a checkbox in the display tab for each profile to control the behavior of the KB lights.

- The debounce logic could be better when I use one of the shift keys as a hot key. When I press down the shift key and then press another letter while holding down the shift key, I still get the hot key action. Is it possible to detect the second key press, and have him cause the hot key action to be ignored?
    I will have to look into this. You are the first to report this behavior.

- This enables me to demonstrate a blinking keyboard: set one of the shift keys to toggle the keyboard backlight, and start a new memo. Now hold down both the shift key and any letter. While the memo fills with the letter, the backlight changes state everytime a new letter is added to the memo.
    Related to the previous problem.

The other thing I noticed is that you are quite inconsistent in your five-way support. The profile selection pop up supports, but several of the screens of the main app don't.
    I always wait until the end of development to add 5-way support. It is sooo time consuming. So on parts of the applicaiton where the User Interface will be changing, I do not implement 5-way support. I did implement it on some of the Pop-ups because in those areas I have to manually code the 5-way support so it needs to be done at the time I create the popup. Be assured that the final version will have complete support for 5-way!

Jeff
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin
    How come ScheduleCare will not allow me to put a check mark in the enable box next to Profile Manager?
    Sounds like your trial period must have run out. I will extend the trial period with the next release.

Jeff
  14.    #174  
    I have got another problem with the auto screen dimming feature:

- When I manually enable a profile with dimming on, and then stop running that profile, the auto dim feature stays on. I tried overriding that by starting another profile with auto dim off, but it did not change the behaviour
    - The auto dim kicks in even while running TomTom, which normally keeps the screen on forever. Not too nice to loose your map while driving!
    - It would be nice if you could include the ability to have no automatic screen turn off while on external power.
    I am going to bypass the 650's screen diming feature and write my own. The 650's is just to bizzar.

Jeff
    ... The problem is that I have to turn off the realtime processing of the keyboard while I am in SC. So this means that I can either have them on or off. ...
    I did not know that you could not check the current light status when entering, and then retain it. Personally, I would prefer to have the lights on, as this is the fail safe mode. An extra control in the main screen? Well, if you let SC control the back light, you can use the hot key. If not, you will want the back light to be on, unless you use kblights instead.
    There is a checkbox in the display tab for each profile to control the behavior of the KB lights.
    I used that, and I found that it controls the keyboard shortcut, not the back light itself. I will check again.
    I always wait until the end of development to add 5-way support. It is sooo time consuming. ...
    Good to know. I will wait with 5-way feedback until the final beta. Anyway, 5-way support is more in the nice-to-have category. Apart from the profile selection box, I use none of the dialogs often.
  16.    #176  
    I did not know that you could not check the current light status when entering, and then retain it. Personally, I would prefer to have the lights on, as this is the fail safe mode. An extra control in the main screen? Well, if you let SC control the back light, you can use the hot key. If not, you will want the back light to be on, unless you use kblights instead.
    I think we are talking about different things here. What I am saying is that if you are inside of ScheduleCare, the automatic on/off and HotKey is not available. I will put a button in the main page that will allow you to turn on/off the keyboard lights while you are editing profiles. Once you exit ScheduleCare you will again have automatic and manual keyboard control.

I used that, and I found that it controls the keyboard shortcut, not the back light itself. I will check again.
    Nope. The keyboard control that is in the Display tab of each profile is very different than the hotkey. If this box is selected, the keyboard lights will come on after any keypress and will automatically go off 10 seconds after the last key press. The cycle will continue on the next keyboard activity.

The HotKey will turn on the keyboard lights and keep them on until you power off the device or toggle them off with the HotKey.

Jeff
    hope u write one helluva detailed manual.. ill need it..

luv ya jeff lol
    Some bugs and suggestions testing b0.8.9 on t600 verizon. No time to review all the previous reply's here so sorry if I duplicate:

Bugs:
    - Getting a lot of resets when I hotkey profile changes from a timed profile to a manual profile. I can't narrow down a pattern other than overrride once = ok then hotkey to stop the override profile and sometimes it resets then, other times it resets after stopping the profile and going into apps.
    - Global options not saving changes to Change Alerts, power on status window
    - If the profile has radio set to on and override to another profile, the radio turns off automatically then turns back on only if the overriden to profile has radio on. I think if you stop a profile that has radio on, then you should only turn off the radio if the new current timed/location profile has radio set to off.

Suggestions:
    - Need ability to re-start SC when a reset occurs. Right now if there is a restart, the current (either timed or overriden) profile does not seem to be re-starting (i.e. the radio does not auto turn on after reset even though the current profile has radio on).
    - Allow press and hold of the option button (lower left button with blue dot) as a hotkey
    - allow override duration option of "until next auto profile" which would stop the override profile when the next automatic (timed or location) profile trigger as an option like midnite and unlimited.
    - Allow for a time of day override duration option to the right of the duration box that let's you set a time like in the profile scheduling function
    - option to prioritize the duration amounts so I could set the 1st duration in the list to 1 hour, next one to 2 hours, next one to midnite, etc.
    - if a override profile is already set and press the hotkey, currently show stop and continue. It would be great to add an option to change (stop button then change button then continue button) so you could change from 1 override profile to another instead of having to stop the current then hotkey again and override again.
    - ability to set the roam tone in the phone portion of a profile
    - ability not to change the day/night keyboard key (---- option) in a profile
    edit - option to control Sprint business connect (seven) and goodlink email notification tones (which do not use the palm os email tone settings).

thanks for your consideration
    I am going to bypass the 650's screen diming feature and write my own. The 650's is just to bizzar.
    Given that the only way I found to restore the default "no dim" behaviour is a soft reset this seems to be the right course of action.

Regarding the keyboard lighting, I now understand what is going on. I would rename the option from "Kbd light enabled" to something like "Auto keyboard light on press" for a better description.

When I have enabled the backlight hotkey, and I start a profile with light on, SC will disable the backlight after stopping that profile. I would appreciate if you could remember the previous state, and restore it.

Your idea to have a button to enable/disable keyboard lighting while in SC is a good one, as long as that setting is remembered between invocations.

I noticed that the hotkeys only work if at least one of the managers is activated. This is a bit counterintuitive, in that after I explicitly told SC to use a hotkey, I expect it to work. I would split the current profile manager enable switch into two: One to enable hotkeys and manual profile switching, and the other to enable timed / location based switching.

Now that you have a profile manager with GUI, it would be nice to have the ability to simply reference a profile in a calendar entry, instead of having to compose a profile with a long command line.
  20.    #180  
    Quick Update.

Have been in communication with the developer of CallFilter. He is happy to make the necessary changes to provide an integration with ScheduleCare. Obviously more to come in the near future.....

Jeff
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast