View Poll Results: Pricing For ProfileCare aka ScheduleCare Phase II. (Honest Options Please)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10 - $15

7 29.17%
  • $15 - $20

13 54.17%
  • $20 - $25

2 8.33%
  • $25 - $30

2 8.33%
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandee2004
    Jeff,

I just installed (from a clean install and with my "new" Treo650 -- the other one had to go back to the shop due to an issue with the screen. I had an instant reset issue - [*]Usability -- Whilst I was setting it up this is much improved.[*]Stability -- Not Yet[*]Terminology -- Works good for me.[*]Spelling Errors[*]Can you break it? -- Yes. I was consistant with the reset as soon as I hit the home button to leave the application.
    Interesting that you are getting the reset. What parts of the UI did you use? Can you pin it down to a particular action that you do? When do you hit the home button? Mainscreen, or some sub screen? Some details about your navigation would help as I do not see that reset on my 650. How much memory do you have left? Do you have the calendar option enabled? etc.....

Jeff
    Jeff,

Okay here is a little more info.

Memory = 10MB (Internal)
    After initial setup of Profile Manager - I added a basic profile that turns on the radio and sets the default calendar vol to 2 and setup the Alamr tone. I have also enabled the Calendar manager (didn't set anything yet). Global options are all unselected. When I enable the Profile Manager and hit the Home key is when I get the reset. Also before exiting I checked the "about" to verify the version.
    Jeff-

Looks good so far. Seems that the KB Light control is not functional at the moment however. Possibly just not implemented in the UI yet ? On the hot key selection, does dbl left refer to the side (ptt) button ? Also, Opt+RShift is a system function to dim the screen - what happens if kb light is assigned to this key combo ? Opt+Lshift is find (at least in contacts) - what happens to the find function if this key combo is used by SC?

If I edit an existing profile (profile manager screen edit button) and make no changes, I'm informed that the profile already exists. This seems more like either a rename or duplicate function rather than edit ? Can you clarify ?

Could you explain the Day/Night selection in profile config ?

UI Layout is very nice. I like the breakdown of the tabs.

Not sure about profile type. Looks like a single profile can be more that one type (Timed, Manual, Location). If so, then this is good. If not, can they be ?

How are overlapping profiles handled. I created 2 timed profiles with same start/end time but conflicting settings (Alerts on vs alerts off). What takes precedence here ? How do we prevent overlapping timed profiles ?

Thats all for now. Will have more after I play with it some more.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by vandee2004
    Jeff,

Okay here is a little more info.

Memory = 10MB (Internal)
    After initial setup of Profile Manager - I added a basic profile that turns on the radio and sets the default calendar vol to 2 and setup the Alamr tone. I have also enabled the Calendar manager (didn't set anything yet). Global options are all unselected. When I enable the Profile Manager and hit the Home key is when I get the reset. Also before exiting I checked the "about" to verify the version.
    The crash was a problem with the licensing in the about window. I fixed that problem. Posted in vB0.5.6.
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Jeff-

Looks good so far. Seems that the KB Light control is not functional at the moment however. Possibly just not implemented in the UI yet ?
    Per our debugging session on Instant Messenger a new build has been posted to correct this problem.

On the hot key selection, does dbl left refer to the side (ptt) button ? Also, Opt+RShift is a system function to dim the screen - what happens if kb light is assigned to this key combo ? Opt+Lshift is find (at least in contacts) - what happens to the find function if this key combo is used by SC?
    Good points. I do *not* plan on remapping existing functions. I will probably stay with the choices:

• Double side button
    • Double left shift
    • Double right shift
    • Double center
    • Press and hold center
    Any others people can think of as this code has not been implemented yet?

If I edit an existing profile (profile manager screen edit button) and make no changes, I'm informed that the profile already exists. This seems more like either a rename or duplicate function rather than edit ? Can you clarify ?
    Fixed.

Could you explain the Day/Night selection in profile config ?
    This is the Day/Night function that is implemented by: Option+Right Shift now.

UI Layout is very nice. I like the breakdown of the tabs.
    As you should since it was your idea.

Not sure about profile type. Looks like a single profile can be more that one type (Timed, Manual, Location). If so, then this is good. If not, can they be ?
    Multiple options are not allowed. A profile can be only one type: Timed, Manual or Location. Since Timed is the only one operational right now that is hard to see.

How are overlapping profiles handled. I created 2 timed profiles with same start/end time but conflicting settings (Alerts on vs alerts off). What takes precedence here ? How do we prevent overlapping timed profiles ?
    Good question! How would you like it to behave? Right now I plan on setting Treo settings based on the sort order of the profile name if multiple profiles share the same time period. So for example if profile 1 starts today at 10am and has all sounds muted and then profile 2 starts today at 11am and sets the phone volume to level 3 I will allow that. I see this as a powerful way of nesting profiles to build a very flexable system.

Thoughts????
    I see you fixed the profile type selector so that only 1 is selectable at a time. At least I think you did - since the other 2 are not implemented, I can't tell if it still allows more than 1 selected at a time (it did in an earlier ver). This means that I may need duplicate profiles for Timed, Manual and Location. I have a Quiet profile set for manual. It would be nice to be able to schedule that profile as well. In this case, I would need to duplicate it and set it as timed correct ? Why can't one profile support multiple types ? A thought to go along with that now: Since we will soon have a nice UI for building profiles, maybe a sc command that allows us to apply a "profile" would be nice: !scF(Quiet)! I'm thinking this way, all profiles could be manual and the timed part is simply a calendar entry created by the UI calling a manual profile. Same for location but based on location detection rather than calendar. This way, the profile list can be kept down to a list of various configurations without duplication. Hmm - need more options: Location Overrides Timed Y/n ? Timed Overrides Manual Y/n ? Or maybe a user specified order of precedence here.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Good question! How would you like it to behave? Right now I plan on setting Treo settings based on the sort order of the profile name if multiple profiles share the same time period. So for example if profile 1 starts today at 10am and has all sounds muted and then profile 2 starts today at 11am and sets the phone volume to level 3 I will allow that. I see this as a powerful way of nesting profiles to build a very flexable system.

Thoughts????

I like the idea of being able to nest the profiles but that may make it difficult for some to understand. Especially where 2 profiles overlap and one is not fully contained in the other. Ex:
    P1 start 8am end 5pm, P2 start 12pm end 6pm. In this case what happens at 12pm, 5pm and 6pm ?

I almost think it should be order of execution. So At 8am P1 runs whith a scheduled end of 5pm. At Noon, P2 runs with a scheduled end of 6pm. At that point the P2 profile should effectivly cancel the P1 profile and nothing should happen at 5pm - P2 remains in effect till 6pm.

Still thinking about this.

-X
    Xathros

7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    I see you fixed the profile type selector so that only 1 is selectable at a time. At least I think you did - since the other 2 are not implemented, I can't tell if it still allows more than 1 selected at a time (it did in an earlier ver). This means that I may need duplicate profiles for Timed, Manual and Location. I have a Quiet profile set for manual. It would be nice to be able to schedule that profile as well. In this case, I would need to duplicate it and set it as timed correct ? Why can't one profile support multiple types ?
    I'll give that some thought. My innitial reasoning was to keep the hotkey menu at a small and manageble size. My thoughts were most people would do a set-it and forget-it for their timed events. Then when they wanted to go into a manual mode, they would have specific profiles that would be for those times you wanted to go manual and those events would be different than your timed profiles. So the manual list would be small and compact without the "noise" of your timed or location events.

A thought to go along with that now: Since we will soon have a nice UI for building profiles, maybe a sc command that allows us to apply a "profile" would be nice: !scF(Quiet)! I'm thinking this way, all profiles could be manual and the timed part is simply a calendar entry created by the UI calling a manual profile.
    That would actually be really nice but I see a couple of problems with that approach:

• Progams list Goodlink do not use the standard calendar. So that population of users could not use profiling.
    • I think many people want a set-it and forget-it mode where there is no calendar integration. Reason's I have heard are that their calendars get cluttered, sc commands are a little hard to use, etc.... And basically that's what we have now in PI with categories - right?

Same for location but based on location detection rather than calendar. This way, the profile list can be kept down to a list of various configurations without duplication. Hmm - need more options: Location Overrides Timed Y/n ? Timed Overrides Manual Y/n ? Or maybe a user specified order of precedence here.
    Here is the way it works right now. All profiles are made up of individual settings. Each setting's execution happens on its own and is independent of other commands in the profile. So if 2 profiles overlap and they do not have commands that overlap then there are no issues. If 2 profiles have commands that are in common then the nested profile will take priority over the upper profile. This is bascally what you have told the application to do since *you* nested the profiles and included common commands. Granted this can lead to some confusion early on but in the long run this is a *very* powerful feature.

-X[/QUOTE]
    I'll give that some thought. My innitial reasoning was to keep the hotkey menu at a small and manageble size. My thoughts were most people would do a set-it and forget-it for their timed events. Then when they wanted to go into a manual mode, they would have specific profiles that would be for those times you wanted to go manual and those events would be different than your timed profiles. So the manual list would be small and compact without the "noise" of your timed or location events.
    How about a check box option on the profile record that says "Show me on hotkey menu ?" That way, those of us (them ?) with 40 or 41 profiles, can select which we see on the hotkey menu and easily change what we see there when needed. Any/all could be manual, timed or location based. Ex: after work I get into my (rental) car. I don't have a carkit here so I manualy select my driving profile since it can't detect the location as it would normally. Ex2: I have to work this saturday but my timed profiles figure I'm off on Saturdays so I would manually select my Work profile when I get there and my Normal profile when I leave. Both normal and work are timed, driving is location based but if all are selectable by manual, timed or location then I can use however I need.

That would actually be really nice but I see a couple of problems with that approach:

• Progams list Goodlink do not use the standard calendar. So that population of users could not use profiling.
    • I think many people want a set-it and forget-it mode where there is no calendar integration. Reason's I have heard are that their calendars get cluttered, sc commands are a little hard to use, etc.... And basically that's what we have now in PI with categories - right?
    If we can set a profile manually, why couldn't we select a "Manual" profile by command ? In my category config, I could simply specify a profile with 1 command rather than building a long command string. Leave the command string generation to the new UI. Of course, we could still issue basic commands there as well but this would make it far easier than building the strings by hand - especially when working with ring tone/alert names. The UI could still implement timed profiles as you plan now but there is no reason that I can see for a profile to be dedicated to the "Timed" type. I agree that the timed profiles should not appear in the calendar. The ability to apply a profile by calendar entry may only be available to those of use that use the internal canendar. That should not stop timed profiles from functioning for the rest. I agree, Timed = Set and forget.

Here is the way it works right now. All profiles are made up of individual settings. Each setting's execution happens on its own and is independent of other commands in the profile. So if 2 profiles overlap and they do not have commands that overlap then there are no issues. If 2 profiles have commands that are in common then the nested profile will take priority over the upper profile. This is bascally what you have told the application to do since *you* nested the profiles and included common commands. Granted this can lead to some confusion early on but in the long run this is a *very* powerful feature.
    I can live with this. The docs should make this VERY clear with a few good examples.

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 02/23/2005 at 02:07 PM.
    Xathros

9.    #69  
    [QUOTE=Xathros]How about a check box option on the profile record that says "Show me on hotkey menu ?" That way, those of us (them ?) with 40 or 41 profiles, can select which we see on the hotkey menu and easily change what we see there when needed. Any/all could be manual, timed or location based. Ex: after work I get into my (rental) car. I don't have a carkit here so I manualy select my driving profile since it can't detect the location as it would normally. Ex2: I have to work this saturday but my timed profiles figure I'm off on Saturdays so I would manually select my Work profile when I get there and my Normal profile when I leave. Both normal and work are timed, driving is location based but if all are selectable by manual, timed or location then I can use however I need.[\quote]

Very good idea!

[quote]If we can set a profile manually, why couldn't we select a "Manual" profile by command ? In my category config, I could simply specify a profile with 1 command rather than building a long command string. Leave the command string generation to the new UI. Of course, we could still issue basic commands there as well but this would make it far easier than building the strings by hand - especially when working with ring tone/alert names. The UI could still implement timed profiles as you plan now but there is no reason that I can see for a profile to be dedicated to the "Timed" type. I agree that the timed profiles should not appear in the calendar. The ability to apply a profile by calendar entry may only be available to those of use that use the internal canendar. That should not stop timed profiles from functioning for the rest. I agree, Timed = Set and forget.[\quote]

Another *very* good idea!
    Thank you.

-X
    Xathros

Good points. I do *not* plan on remapping existing functions. I will probably stay with the choices:

• Double side button
    • Double left shift
    • Double right shift
    • Double center
    • Press and hold center
    Any others people can think of as this code has not been implemented yet?
    Jeff, as far as key presses for changing between different profiles, I'm a big fan of holding down certain keyboard buttons. So for instance, a long press of the "menu" button would pop up profiles and let me choose between them.
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    Jeff, as far as key presses for changing between different profiles, I'm a big fan of holding down certain keyboard buttons. So for instance, a long press of the "menu" button would pop up profiles and let me choose between them.
    I will play with different possibilities. Alread I had to take out Double-shift keys as they of course toggle the capitals keys perminately on and off. I have gone to a press&hold for the shift keys. The Center 5-way is giving me problems so I have taken it out of the list for now. So as it stands I have the 3 key options:

• Double-side button
    • Press&Hold Left Shift
    • Press&Hold Right Shift
    Jeff
    It would be great if you could also include the press and hold of the option key (lower left corner of t600).

Thanks for your consideration.
    I will play with different possibilities. Alread I had to take out Double-shift keys as they of course toggle the capitals keys perminately on and off. I have gone to a press&hold for the shift keys. The Center 5-way is giving me problems so I have taken it out of the list for now. So as it stands I have the 3 key options:

• Double-side button
    • Press&Hold Left Shift
    • Press&Hold Right Shift
    Jeff
    Jeff, sounds like you are busy making one great profiling utility. I've purchased phase I of schedule care already and I'm really looking forward to being able to change profiles manually (I realize that a purchase of phase II may be in order). Just to be clear, my request is for the option to hold down the menu button (long press) so that I can then scroll between the various profiles (I also think it would be a good idea to do the same for the "option" button). The current/former users of the other freeware profiling utility are very used to these past 2 options. Thank you.
    Last edited by paulsjmail; 02/23/2005 at 04:48 PM.
  15.    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    Jeff, sounds like you are busy making one great profiling utility. I've purchased phase I of schedule care already and I'm really looking forward to being able to change profiles manually (I realize that a purchase of phase II may be in order). Just to be clear, my request is for the option to hold down the menu button (long press) so that I can then scroll between the various profiles (I also think it would be a good idea to do the same for the "option" button). The current/former users of the other freeware profiling utility are very used to these past 2 options. Thank you.
    Just today I put in the "press&hold menu" option. I appreciate your input and I am planning on including as many combinations as possible for people to choose from. There will be 2 hot keys to choose from. The first is manual profile switching and the second is manual keyboard lighting. You will see a new beta build tomorrow that has this option capability already coded. I am in the middle of working on the execution engine and will have that done in a day or so. As soon as that is complete, the first working version of PII will be available for Beta!!!

Jeff
  16.    #76  
    Good News!!! I have the first revision of PII up and working. I want to do some more testing but with any luck, I will be releasing the first fully functional Beta of PII by Sunday.

Jeff
    Looking forward to it Jeff, and thanks for being so responsive!
    Yes I am also looking forward to it. I will test it and hopefully won't get the same results as the previous version
    Is it possible for phase 2 to add location based awareness? In other words profiles based on the active cell tower id? I know such software is available for the Sony Ericsson P910.
  20.    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by trhuseby
    Is it possible for phase 2 to add location based awareness? In other words profiles based on the active cell tower id? I know such software is available for the Sony Ericsson P910.
    I will look into again but when I tried it during development of CradleCare I was having problems. Good idea though! I do plan on adding localtion awareness based on BT though.

Jeff
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast