View Poll Results: Pricing For ProfileCare aka ScheduleCare Phase II. (Honest Options Please)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10 - $15

7 29.17%
  • $15 - $20

13 54.17%
  • $20 - $25

2 8.33%
  • $25 - $30

2 8.33%
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253031323334353637 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Is this repeatable if you go into and out of the game multiple times?
    I tried going into & out of the game (Shape Shifter) multiple times without causing this issue to reappear.

Have you ever seen this without SC? I will b e putting out a new build tonight that may help if SC was actually the problem.
    I don't recall ever seeing this issue prior to installing SC v.48. Is it repeatable? Not sure how to answer that... Once it shows-up, it seems to be a frequent visitor. Today, as I mentioned earlier, I saw it when I finished playing a game (but did not exit) and the high score list should have been displayed. A little while later, I saw it again while in Blazer. Haven't seen it since that point in time. So, no, I would not called it 'repeatable'...just unpredictable.

BTW -- Do you think I am getting corrupt Preferences? Or, am I misinterpretting this error?

Anything else that you would like from me (files?) before I Hard Reset and restore back to v.47 again? Or, do you think that this (Hard Reset) is unnecessary?

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the added frustration.
    -Brian-
    I put a check into SC/PC to detect auto-off/hardkey-off. If I see this, SC/PC will exit to the launcher. Did this so your profiles won't fail to run because SC/PC is active.

So what you might have heard is SC exiting back to the launcher.
    Okay, this is certainly a possibility... BUT, why would my screen be OFF and yet my keyboard light was ON??? My experience: The screen goes dark...I hear 'click'....my keyboard lights-up and stays lit-up.
    -Brian-
  3.    #683  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmahan
    I tried going into & out of the game (Shape Shifter) multiple times without causing this issue to reappear.

I don't recall ever seeing this issue prior to installing SC v.48. Is it repeatable? Not sure how to answer that... Once it shows-up, it seems to be a frequent visitor. Today, as I mentioned earlier, I saw it when I finished playing a game (but did not exit) and the high score list should have been displayed. A little while later, I saw it again while in Blazer. Haven't seen it since that point in time. So, no, I would not called it 'repeatable'...just unpredictable.
    Don't know what to say at this point. Obviously something is happening and I am taking some steps to see if SC is the cause. I am finishing with removing all reliance on Saved Preferences in SC. That build will be out later tonight. We will see if that helps your situation.

BTW -- Do you think I am getting corrupt Preferences? Or, am I misinterpretting this error?
    It is really hard to tell. Errors in Palm OS are less than reliable. Matter of fact they are almost worthless. The seldom point to the real cause of problems. They are typically repoirts of failures several layers separated from the real cause.

Anything else that you would like from me (files?) before I Hard Reset and restore back to v.47 again? Or, do you think that this (Hard Reset) is unnecessary?

Thanks for the help. Sorry for the added frustration.
    Not at this point. But I would like you to try the new build that will be out later tonight.

Jeff
  4.    #684  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmahan
    Okay, this is certainly a possibility... BUT, why would my screen be OFF and yet my keyboard light was ON??? My experience: The screen goes dark...I hear 'click'....my keyboard lights-up and stays lit-up.
    Some very strange things going on with your Treo. I'll bet P1 would call this a feature. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/rolleyes.gif

Jeff
    Jeff,

I have been following schedulecare with interest enough to try it out. Last weekend I downloaded and installed Phase II B0.9.43.

I have a Treo650

When I fired it up initially I got an error "Databases Out of Sync". It was quite hard to clear this and several resets later and many screen tappings and button pressings later it magically cleared and I got on with the task of creating a set of profiles following your profile descriptions in the manual (draft 6).

All was going well until I received a replacement phone from Cingular as I had had a problem with the touch screen locking up and not working intermittently. So I synched the old phone, took out battery, SIM, and SD and put these all into the new phone.

On Synching and power up the phone almost locked up with the SC error "Databases Out of Synch". Finally after pulling the battery and a number of screen tappings and key presses later I was able to get into SC only to find that my profiles had vanished without a trace.

Q1. where are the profiles stored
    Q2. how should these be backed up
    Q3. how do you transfer these to a new phone

I tried re-loading B0.9.50 yesterday and also downloaded and checked the manual draft 9 did not get the profile databases you had supplied somwhere to be able to be read by the newly installed program.
  6.    #686  
    Quote Originally Posted by RossAllen
    Jeff,

I have been following schedulecare with interest enough to try it out. Last weekend I downloaded and installed Phase II B0.9.43.
    Cool but I am up to B51 right now.

I have a Treo650

When I fired it up initially I got an error "Databases Out of Sync". It was quite hard to clear this and several resets later and many screen tappings and button pressings later it magically cleared and I got on with the task of creating a set of profiles following your profile descriptions in the manual (draft 6).
    This is just because of an installation problem. Basically on the initial installation, you need to run ScheduleCare (soon to be renamed to ProfileCare) before you run SC-HotKey. Since HotKey is a "slave" program, it depends on ScheduleCare to create and maintain the database files. So when you run HotKey before you run ScheduleCare, it is unhappy because it can;t find the database files it needs. I am in the process as I am writing thie response of fixing the "stream" of error messages that HotKey gives.

All was going well until I received a replacement phone from Cingular as I had had a problem with the touch screen locking up and not working intermittently. So I synched the old phone, took out battery, SIM, and SD and put these all into the new phone.

On Synching and power up the phone almost locked up with the SC error "Databases Out of Synch". Finally after pulling the battery and a number of screen tappings and key presses later I was able to get into SC only to find that my profiles had vanished without a trace.
    Ouch.

Q1. where are the profiles stored
    Q2. how should these be backed up
    Q3. how do you transfer these to a new phone
    A1: They are stored in 2 places. In RAM and in Saved Preferences.
    A2: These files will be based up via HotSync and via 3rd party backup programs.
    A3: I am a *big* fan of BackupMan for doing backups. Very easy to restore from and very dependable.

I tried re-loading B0.9.50 yesterday and also downloaded and checked the manual draft 9 did not get the profile databases you had supplied somwhere to be able to be read by the newly installed program.
    All is still in transition until the official launch. Tom has been publishing the default profiles directly in his posts. By next week these will be finalized and put into the ZIP file. Take a look back at post 633 for the most current ones.

Jeff
  7.    #687  
    All,

This new build should be a big improvement over the last builds. I moved all application related information from the Saved Preferences Database to external file databases. This will "clean up" the entire installation and will hopefully provide some isolation from the problems a few were seeing.

Other details are in the 1st post.

This will be the last feature release until after the official release. Form this point forward there will only be bug fixes as I have entered a code freeze.

Jeff
  8.    #688  
    What launcher icon should I use for ProfileCare?

1) The same one as ScheduleCare?
    2) A different one that reflects some kind of Profile theme?

Jeff
  9.    #689  
    All,

I changed the name of ScheduleCare in the last build from ScheduleCare to ProfileCare. What I did *not* do was change the name of the PRC file. So I have had several reports that after installation, they can not find the ScheduleCare application any more. If this happens to you, look for the new name - ProfileCare.

Jeff
    Jeff - one very minor thing I noticed with B53. If you turn on orange led when muted and turn off led alarms in a profile, the led blinks orange instead of normal green. If you don't check the global opt, the led stays off.

It seems to me that a profile should take precedence over the global option esp when/if the user explicitly chose a manual profile. Make sense?

I can either note it in the doc or you can put in the precedence check - your choice.

So far, it seems B50 profiles work fine with B53 - perhaps because the profile-based LED option went into the SC-Alarms db, not the profile db. Could you confirm?

Are you going to update SCHotKey for the active LED setting?
  11.    #691  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Jeff - one very minor thing I noticed with B53. If you turn on orange led when muted and turn off led alarms in a profile, the led blinks orange instead of normal green. If you don't check the global opt, the led stays off.

It seems to me that a profile should take precedence over the global option esp when/if the user explicitly chose a manual profile. Make sense?

I can either note it in the doc or you can put in the precedence check - your choice.
    You are absoltely right. I have made the change to stop the Mute LED when the profile LED option is enabled.

So far, it seems B50 profiles work fine with B53 - perhaps because the profile-based LED option went into the SC-Alarms db, not the profile db. Could you confirm?
    I built-in some "expansion" space into the profile structure so I don't have to cause people's profiles to be rebuilt with every new command addition. (At least for the next 4 or 5 commands.)

Are you going to update SCHotKey for the active LED setting?
    What do you think? I don't know what kind of Icon I would use for the LED? I can easily place the indicator in the display.

I also added a new function in the Status Display. I added a REAPPLY button that will re-apply all of the active command settings. People were asking for a way to re-initialize the current set of commands settings. Either because they manually made changes or becuase another program make changes.

Oh, I also changed the Button labels on the main screen from "Profile Manager" and "Calendar Manager" to "ProfileCare" and "ScheduleCare".

Jeff

Jeff
    I built-in some "expansion" space into the profile structure so I don't have to cause people's profiles to be rebuilt with every new command addition. (At least for the next 4 or 5 commands.)
    Thank you

What do you think? I don't know what kind of Icon I would use for the LED? I can easily place the indicator in the display.
    Not sure. Even the manual only points to it. Perhaps you could take the IR icon, make the black bar vertical, green and short and have the "rays" green or gone (when led is off).

I also added a new function in the Status Display. I added a REAPPLY button that will re-apply all of the active command settings. People were asking for a way to re-initialize the current set of commands settings. Either because they manually made changes or becuase another program make changes.
    Thanks for the heads up

Oh, I also changed the Button labels on the main screen from "Profile Manager" and "Calendar Manager" to "ProfileCare" and "ScheduleCare".
    Noticed that and updated the doc accordingly. New version out later today.
  13.    #693  
    New build posted. Details in the 1st post.

Jeff
    New build posted. Details in the 1st post.

Jeff
    Here is draft10 (deca-draft?) of the user guide and associated profiles updated for build 55. I've renamed the doc with "B55" in the name for easier tracking. Changes:
    - updates for builds 49-55 (profiles for these builds are all compatible)
    - numerous changes in the doc to reflect the separate ProfileCare and ScheduleCare functions and registrations
    - Movie manual profile now turns off the LED
    - Added more FAQ info for posts since B48
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Actually, the pdf is here due to the 5 attachments/post limit
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Are you following the same process as before to cause this condition to happen? During testing, I have yet to have the KB lights not go off while in auto-mode unless I have toggled them on with the hotkey.

Jeff
    I have now tested it with B55, and I am happy that it now works precisely as it should. I tested it in the same way as before. I had the kb light switch in the main screen set to "do not change", I wonder whether that used to make a difference.

I have seen the reapply button in SC-Hotkey, I hope that is the first step towards sticky profiles.

Now that you have renamed the SC app ProfileCare, will you also rename SC-Hotkey? I suggest PC-Status, as that app brings up a ProfileCare status display.

In the global options section for hotkeys, the checkbox next to "Power On Status Window" does not work, I have to change the hotkey to "unassigned" to disable that key.

I still have a problem with getting ProfileCare to store my settings when I change them. The problem is that the profile manager and the global settings are both behaving like dialogs, in that the settings are only stored when OKayed. But they look and feel like documents, where settings are stored immediately. And to add to the confusion, the calendar manager actually behaves like a document, and stores changes immediately. And although I exactly know how SC works, I still run into this trap regularly.

I am personally a fan of automatic restrore points: SC would always apply my settings immediately, but keep a history of my changes for the last two or three sessions with changes, so that I could easily go back to a previous state.

A quicker fix would be for these dialogs to start feeling like dialogs. E.g., the profile configuration dialog looks like a dialog because of the tabs, and I know what to expect, and don't make mistakes. You could provide the same feeling to the global options dialog by adding OK / Cancel to all pages. For the profile manager, there is no cancel option, so why not apply all settings immediately? Currently "back" functions as OK, and the switch to another application as a cancel, which only helps to trip me up: Why should I need to return to the main dialog simply to commit my changes? I am done, everything is fine, and I go back to another application I want to work with. But bang, all my changes are lost!
    I am reading through Tom's manual, and find a lot of references that warn you not to delete the supplied "Low Battery" profile. I thought the actual rules on the low battery situation were as follows: If SC detects that the battery level falls below the indicated threshold, it searches for a profile named "Low Battery". If it can find one, it applies its settings, if not, nothing happens.

Also when I tested it, SC B55 behaved strange. I created a profile named "Low Battery" that does nothing but set the screen brightness to max. I then set the threshold to 99%. SC activated the profile, and my screen lit up as expected. I set the threshold back to 30%, and SC deactivated the profile. But my screen backlights was now turned off, although I had it at 30% when I started the test.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    jeff: i've tried two latest builds, works fine:

but, I'm getting serious slowdown in games, if i mearly disable Profilecare I'm up to full speed. Is this a recent build prob or could you make an exception list??
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Any chance of making ScheduleCare have the feature of making alerts from certain programs make the LED blink?

I know Butler has the ability to make the light blink for alerts, but doesn't have the ability to differentiate between program. Is that possible?

Thanks,
    Jacob
    .55 is working great for me. I also was getting memory errors for versions prior to this. I think it's really cool that you've gotten the mute switch to light up the led, but I was wondering if it's possible to tie this switch to other functions. For example, I only need to use the key guard at certain times. I guick switch of the switch to enable disable keyguard would make it easier. To change it must be a single command since option+power turns it on and off. Thanks again, James