View Poll Results: Pricing For ProfileCare aka ScheduleCare Phase II. (Honest Options Please)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10 - $15

7 29.17%
  • $15 - $20

13 54.17%
  • $20 - $25

2 8.33%
  • $25 - $30

2 8.33%
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637 LastLast
  1.    #661  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmahan
    Hi Jeff,

Did a hard reset and restore using Backupman. Then, I uninstalled SC using Uninstall Manager. I did a soft reset prior to installing v.50. After setting SC up again & recreating my profiles, things seemed fine for a little while..... Suddenly, I started getting the resets & funky messages about needing to delete files & problems with Preferences.c again. This problem appeared with v.49 & still is happening with v.50.

Anybody else having issues with corrupt Preferences (I assume) like me?
    At least one other person is reporting problems as well from build 49 and up. I am digging into it right now.

Jeff
  2.    #662  
    I hope this build corrects the Out of Memory problems that were being reported in builds after B47.

Please let me know ASAP after you load this build.

Jeff
    Jeff, I know this might seem minor, and it is. However it's the difference between this feature being usable/or not for those of us that use "butler." You added a new feautre that changes the led light to "orange" if the treo's top switch is put in the silent/vibrate position. It's a great addition but while it changes the led to "orange," as soon as I change the switch to the "Sounds on" position, the led light will automatically start flashing green (instead of allowing "butler" to keep it off as it usually does). This is in contrast to what happens with the SC option to quickly flash the "led alert" whenever I switch from one profile to another. In the latter case the desirable thing happens, which is that after the led flashes, it lets butler then keep the led off. The operative thing is that once SC uses the led, it is desirable to let butler keep it off (which is what it does normally).
    will profile care have a feature to replace "LED off" or Butler LED contro in that it can suppress the flashing green paul is talking about. I use LED off... but if profile care can do this & still turn orange etc for alerts... great!
  5.    #665  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    will profile care have a feature to replace "LED off" or Butler LED contro in that it can suppress the flashing green paul is talking about. I use LED off... but if profile care can do this & still turn orange etc for alerts... great!
    How much do you want ProfileCare to do? I have had the request to have "cancel LED activity" as a profile command. This is a very easy thing to do. Is this enough or do you want the control that LEDoff gives selectable in each profile?

So for example, do you want a profile able to say: "Allow the voicemail LED but stop all of the reset" or would you like to continue to use LEDoff but have ProfileCare say *stop* all LED activity during this profile's activity time.

Jeff
  6.    #666  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    Jeff, I know this might seem minor, and it is. However it's the difference between this feature being usable/or not for those of us that use "butler." You added a new feautre that changes the led light to "orange" if the treo's top switch is put in the silent/vibrate position. It's a great addition but while it changes the led to "orange," as soon as I change the switch to the "Sounds on" position, the led light will automatically start flashing green (instead of allowing "butler" to keep it off as it usually does). This is in contrast to what happens with the SC option to quickly flash the "led alert" whenever I switch from one profile to another. In the latter case the desirable thing happens, which is that after the led flashes, it lets butler then keep the led off. The operative thing is that once SC uses the led, it is desirable to let butler keep it off (which is what it does normally).
    I understand your observation. My implementation challenge with this implementation was different than the quick LED notification. In the quick LED notification, I could safely save the current LED state and then restore it again because so little time had passed between saving the state and restoring it. So the restored state is more than likely still valid. But in the case of the Orange LED, this state can last for hours if not days. So any state that I save before I chage the LED to Orange is more than likely not going to be valid when I restore the saved state. So what I am doing is releasing control of the LED by turning off the Orange condition. This then allows applications like Butler and LEDoff to again resume control over the LED. In the case of LEDoff, control passes back over to that application on the first user event or the next LED even whichever comes first. I am not sure about Butler and how it works but I am doing nothing to stop Butler from working. My guess is that it is not scanning LED change states offen enough.

Does all of this make sense?

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Sorry, I've got the same setup and have never had ZL crash. In fact, I can't remember ZL crashing in the 15 months I've had it (600->650). Lots of other things crash the Treo, but not ZL.

I don't know how much you've customized ZL, but would it be possible to uninstall/reinstall ZL or at least the ZLauncherDB.pdb file? I'm totally guessing here, but perhaps the ZL prefs got messed up somewhere/somehow. I'm not doubting your results, but have a hard time figuring out what SC could do to interfere.
    Hi tomvb2000,

I have been seeing many resets since installing v.49 & v.50 and what program they get attributed to seems to change -- Web; ScrollJump; ZLauncher; etc. but they frequently mention Preferences.c. Once in awhile, my Treo will just reset itself even when it is not being used. This was not common previously. To me, it seems as if the Saved Preferences are getting corrupted somehow. So, Zlauncher just might be a scapegoat in this instance.

As far as customization goes, I really don't change the defaults within Zlauncher other than to apply a Theme (AquawoodXP). Otherwise, I use it to move apps to the SD card, categorized apps, etc -- basic stuff.

Per Jeff's recommendation in the past, I use Palm File Browser (PFB) to install my apps rather than doing the full Hotsync process. Occassionally, if I do not have access to a PC, I will download ZIP files directly to my Treo and use HandZipper Lite to unzip/install. Is it possible that there is a problem with using either of these utilities to install files on the 650?

Oh yeah, once in a rare while I will lose my category settings and all my apps will become 'unfiled'. Haven't quite figured-out the key to that yet but it is a pain....
    -Brian-
    Ok, I think I'm stumped. I use ZL basically the same way you do. Other than some slight preference settings (what is in the top/bottom tool bar, colors, Aquawood theme) and categories, I don't do much else customization. The toolbar icons are too small for my fingers, so I rarely use them at all.

The "random resets" reminds me of the first few days after I did the Sprint 1.08 update. My Saved Preferences and Unsaved Preferences dbs kept getting wiped out at completely random times. Eventually figured out that the rom update had automatically turned the Enable Local Network Time pref back on even though I had turned it off months ago (again thanks to Jeff's work). Once I disabled that again, all my random resets went away. I almost never have resets anymore - when I do, it's clearly because I ran some app that had a temporary problem (out of heap, etc).

I install almost everything via HotSync or OTA - never had a problem, so I don't have PFB or HZL. However, when I do install, I always disable the app first and if practical, completely uninstall it and all related prefs. As a developer, it's hard to predict those cases of mixed db versions and we often presume a clean baseline for the installation, so that's what I try to provide as a user. The approach seems to work for me.

I hate the random problems the most because they are inherently hard to reproduce. The only thing I can suggest is to disable the "less popular" apps one at a time to see if the problem goes away. Especially if the app was developed awhile ago and never actually released specifically for the 650. ScrollJump doesn't fit this definition, but you might try disabling that for awhile to see if it helps. I'm not pointing fingers at it since I don't know what other 3rd party apps you have.

Hope something here helps.
    The "random resets" reminds me of the first few days after I did the Sprint 1.08 update. My Saved Preferences and Unsaved Preferences dbs kept getting wiped out at completely random times. Eventually figured out that the rom update had automatically turned the Enable Local Network Time pref back on even though I had turned it off months ago (again thanks to Jeff's work). Once I disabled that again, all my random resets went away. I almost never have resets anymore - when I do, it's clearly because I ran some app that had a temporary problem (out of heap, etc).
    For the most part, the resets were pretty rare. Previously, if I encountered a reset, it was usually while surfing...

I install almost everything via HotSync or OTA - never had a problem, so I don't have PFB or HZL. However, when I do install, I always disable the app first and if practical, completely uninstall it and all related prefs. As a developer, it's hard to predict those cases of mixed db versions and we often presume a clean baseline for the installation, so that's what I try to provide as a user. The approach seems to work for me.
    I used to always use Hotsync to install my apps but, with the 650, the frequent 'Connection is Lost (6410)' errors as well as the guaranteed reset upon completion frustrated me. So, during development of Jeff's PowerUp utility, he recommended PFB. Since then, using PFB has been wonderful (to the best of my knowledge).

And again, like you, I typically disable & uninstall the app+prefs (using Uninstall Manager) prior to installing a new version. But, of course, if the setup of an application is time-consuming then I will go with what the developer recommends -- overlay vs. fresh.

I hate the random problems the most because they are inherently hard to reproduce. The only thing I can suggest is to disable the "less popular" apps one at a time to see if the problem goes away. Especially if the app was developed awhile ago and never actually released specifically for the 650. ScrollJump doesn't fit this definition, but you might try disabling that for awhile to see if it helps. I'm not pointing fingers at it since I don't know what other 3rd party apps you have.

Thanks, I hate these random problems also. For the most part, I avoid apps that have not been deemed compatible with the 650.
    -Brian-
    It hasn't happened very often, but once in awhile I'll have Blazer problems/crashes. Deleteting the cache, prefs, and even cookies has seemed to clear it up.

Guaranteed resets after hotsync seems to happen mostly for TSR-type apps that hook into the boot sequence (e.g. Butler, mSafe, etc) when they register for notifications.

I'm struggling to figure this out but will post if I have any more random thoughts.
    With B51, if I active auto kb lights mode, the light no longer turns off after 10 seconds. It looks like that the timer is still there, since calling up the menu still turns off the lights if 10 seconds have passed since the last keypress. But if I do nothing, the kb lights do no longer turn off.
  12.    #672  
    Ok, I think I'm stumped. I use ZL basically the same way you do. Other than some slight preference settings (what is in the top/bottom tool bar, colors, Aquawood theme) and categories, I don't do much else customization. The toolbar icons are too small for my fingers, so I rarely use them at all.

There was indeed a problem that people were finding in builds 48,49 and 50. I think I fixed the issues in B51. The user that first reported the problem had a very reproduceable situation and has now confirmed that the problem is gone with build B51.

Jeff
  13.    #673  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moroner
    With B51, if I active auto kb lights mode, the light no longer turns off after 10 seconds. It looks like that the timer is still there, since calling up the menu still turns off the lights if 10 seconds have passed since the last keypress. But if I do nothing, the kb lights do no longer turn off.
    Are you following the same process as before to cause this condition to happen? During testing, I have yet to have the KB lights not go off while in auto-mode unless I have toggled them on with the hotkey.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I understand your observation. My implementation challenge with this implementation was different than the quick LED notification. In the quick LED notification, I could safely save the current LED state and then restore it again because so little time had passed between saving the state and restoring it. So the restored state is more than likely still valid. But in the case of the Orange LED, this state can last for hours if not days. So any state that I save before I chage the LED to Orange is more than likely not going to be valid when I restore the saved state. So what I am doing is releasing control of the LED by turning off the Orange condition. This then allows applications like Butler and LEDoff to again resume control over the LED. In the case of LEDoff, control passes back over to that application on the first user event or the next LED even whichever comes first. I am not sure about Butler and how it works but I am doing nothing to stop Butler from working. My guess is that it is not scanning LED change states offen enough.

Does all of this make sense?

Jeff
    Wow, great explanation Jeff. Now that you have explained it, yes, it makes perfect sense. "Butler" seems to get control over the LED only after the next LED event occurs. This of course means that you have to actually go into butler's preferences to stop the flashing LED (unless you just wait for the next LED event). I have tried "LEDOFF" previously but it did not seem to work correctly for the Treo650. "LEDOFF" kept the led off, but it's functions to control the LED for vm, sms, e-mail etc did not work, and that's what I primarily use "Bulter" for (along with simply keeping the LED off when no event is occuring).

Not being able to use the SC option to change the LED to orange (during mute), is no big deal. What I really am going to miss though, are any of the other LED options that you do (if you do) build into SC.
    Hi Jeff,

I did a fresh install of v.51 a little while ago and, so far, things have been stable. If I see the 'Out Of Memory' and/or 'Preferences.c' issue pop-up again, I will let you know ASAP.

Since I had to start from scratch with regards to defining my profiles, I had the opportunity to notice a few things:

1) The abundance of 'Database out of sync' messages still appear when running SC-Hotkey the first time. Why did you say to run this first again?

2) The 5-way navigation in the Global Options is incomplete. On Page 2, the focus will not go to either the 'Turn On Orange LED When Muted' option or the MORE button. On Page 3, there is no 5-way control at all.

3) When defining a default duration for a Manual profile, the minutes are truncated. For example, if I define the duration as 1 hour, the display shows '1:0' rather than '1:00'. A cosmetic issue.

4) While defining my 4 profiles (one-after-another, in-sequence), I use the Copy function.... But, for some reason, I am losing the Enable/Disable status on the profile I am copying FROM. Sometimes it affects the status on a different profile altogether.

Example: I create, configure & Enable Profile 'A'. Then, I create, configure & Enable another new Profile 'B'. Now, I highlight 'B' in the Profile list and press Copy. I name the new Profile 'C' and proceed to tweak it as needed. At this point, sometimes the status of Profile 'B' will be set back to Disabled. Another time, Profile 'A' will become Disabled.

5) UH-OH... My Treo's screen just turned-off but then there was a click as if a button had been pressed. My keyboard lit-up and stayed lit. Ghosts in the machine? Turning my Treo on and then off again seems to have cleared-up the issue.

Talk to you soon.
    -Brian-
    I'm currently using SC 9.48 but I've noticed a pretty nice development (at least for me) ever since about 9.46. I don't want to jump the gun (since I'm still not sure what was causing it) but my issue of the SC profile switcher not popping up seems to have dissipated. This was usually something that would happen a few times a day so I'm pretty optimistic that it's been solved for now. I had previously described the issue in past posts (#562 and #585).
    The reset attributed to Zlauncher showed-up again. Just finished playing a game stored on the SD card and this showed-up.

Preferences.c, Line: 263, Pref DB Open Error

This is frustrating!
    -Brian-
  18.    #678  
    Hi Jeff,

I did a fresh install of v.51 a little while ago and, so far, things have been stable. If I see the 'Out Of Memory' and/or 'Preferences.c' issue pop-up again, I will let you know ASAP.
    That is good. I also have goeent reports from others that their pre-48 problems have disappeared with B51.

Since I had to start from scratch with regards to defining my profiles, I had the opportunity to notice a few things:

1) The abundance of 'Database out of sync' messages still appear when running SC-Hotkey the first time. Why did you say to run this first again?
    Only run this first if you are Upgrading an installation. Do not run this first if this is a clean install. I will clean up the repeating error message.

2) The 5-way navigation in the Global Options is incomplete. On Page 2, the focus will not go to either the 'Turn On Orange LED When Muted' option or the MORE button. On Page 3, there is no 5-way control at all.
    Thanks will fix this.

3) When defining a default duration for a Manual profile, the minutes are truncated. For example, if I define the duration as 1 hour, the display shows '1:0' rather than '1:00'. A cosmetic issue.
    Thanks will fix this too.

4) While defining my 4 profiles (one-after-another, in-sequence), I use the Copy function.... But, for some reason, I am losing the Enable/Disable status on the profile I am copying FROM. Sometimes it affects the status on a different profile altogether.

Example: I create, configure & Enable Profile 'A'. Then, I create, configure & Enable another new Profile 'B'. Now, I highlight 'B' in the Profile list and press Copy. I name the new Profile 'C' and proceed to tweak it as needed. At this point, sometimes the status of Profile 'B' will be set back to Disabled. Another time, Profile 'A' will become Disabled.
    Interesting. I will investigate and fix.

5) UH-OH... My Treo's screen just turned-off but then there was a click as if a button had been pressed. My keyboard lit-up and stayed lit. Ghosts in the machine? Turning my Treo on and then off again seems to have cleared-up the issue.

Talk to you soon.
    I put a check into SC/PC to detect auto-off/hardkey-off. If I see this, SC/PC will exit to the launcher. Did this so your profiles won't fail to run because SC/PC is active.

So what you might have heard is SC exiting back to the launcher.
  19.    #679  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    I'm currently using SC 9.48 but I've noticed a pretty nice development (at least for me) ever since about 9.46. I don't want to jump the gun (since I'm still not sure what was causing it) but my issue of the SC profile switcher not popping up seems to have dissipated. This was usually something that would happen a few times a day so I'm pretty optimistic that it's been solved for now. I had previously described the issue in past posts (#562 and #585).
    Yes I cleaned up this part of the code.

Jeff
  20.    #680  
    The reset attributed to Zlauncher showed-up again. Just finished playing a game stored on the SD card and this showed-up.

Preferences.c, Line: 263, Pref DB Open Error

This is frustrating!
    Is this repeatable if you go into and out of the game multiple times?

Have you ever seen this without SC? I will b e putting out a new build tonight that may help if SC was actually the problem.

Jeff