View Poll Results: Pricing For ProfileCare aka ScheduleCare Phase II. (Honest Options Please)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10 - $15

7 29.17%
  • $15 - $20

13 54.17%
  • $20 - $25

2 8.33%
  • $25 - $30

2 8.33%
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1.    #521  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin
    Did you fix the radio off bug yet when you mute all sounds?
    You know I can not reproduce the problem any more. Are you still seeing it on your Treo?

Jeff
    A few observations:
    • With the idea that calendar commands be generated from a profile, why can't this happen on the fly? Then you could still add profiles to be called from the calendar, even without resolving the architecture issues.
    • What are the rules on calendar commands? When does SC check the calendar for items? Only once a day at midnight? How can I activate the commands for the same day the event is scheduled? Is there a way to do this automatically?
    • When there are changes to be made, SC wakes up the Treo. Is there a way to do this without actually turning on the screen as well? This would be especially nice wrt locking utilities, which put up a password screen at inappropriate moments.
    • For setting the default duration of a profile, I would like to be able to have different values for the week and weekend.
    • With Bluetooth, it is my experience that BT itself is not a battery drain, it only becomes a problem with an open BT connection that can drain the battery quite fast. So for me it would be better and faster, if I had a way to break that active BT connection. SC already has the ability to silence alarms during a phone call, could it also break up the BT connection automatically after a call?
    • For me, a time check once a week would be completely sufficient. Also it would be nice if SC would not check the time when roaming. Thanks to those insane roaming charges, a single time update can easily cost 2$ (sic!).

Also I got a nice "trial expired" message. What is your policy on registration? Since SC Phase II is still in beta. I am a bit surprised to be asked to purchase it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Here is the complete user guide updated for build 40 as well as the profiles described there. Comments are welcome.
    I thought this would be a good use for my first post here...

I have been following this thread with great interest since I joined this forum a couple of months ago. SC looks like such a great utility, but I was overwhelmed and didn't even bother to download it and check it out because it seemed way too confusing to get everything set up. Until now - after reading through this guide, I grabbed SC, got some profiles configured, and have my credit card ready when it releases.

Excellent app, Jeff, and THANKS for the documentation Tom!

Charlie
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrey

I have been following this thread with great interest since I joined this forum a couple of months ago. SC looks like such a great utility, but I was overwhelmed and didn't even bother to download it and check it out because it seemed way too confusing to get everything set up. Until now - after reading through this guide, I grabbed SC, got some profiles configured, and have my credit card ready when it releases.

Charlie
    Well, thanks for the thanks Charlie - I'm glad you got some benefit from it. SC is a great app with a lot of power and flexibility, so I was certainly hoping the default profiles and doc would make it easier to get started. Some folks want a quick "out of the box" solution and others (like myself) want the option to tweak everything. The trick is making both groups happy.

Thanks again - Tom
  5.    #525  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moroner
    A few observations:
    With the idea that calendar commands be generated from a profile, why can't this happen on the fly? Then you could still add profiles to be called from the calendar, even without resolving the architecture issues.
    I am not sure I understand. SC does not write to the calendar at all. It is only reading the calendar.

What are the rules on calendar commands? When does SC check the calendar for items? Only once a day at midnight? How can I activate the commands for the same day the event is scheduled? Is there a way to do this automatically?
    SC checks the calendar whenever it sees the modification date on the calendar has changed. So as soon as an entry is added/changed/deleted in the calendar and the changed is saved, SC scans the calendar and takes the appropriate actions.

Next SC reads the calendar every day at 12:00:01am to build the known list of appointments for the new day.

When there are changes to be made, SC wakes up the Treo. Is there a way to do this without actually turning on the screen as well? This would be especially nice wrt locking utilities, which put up a password screen at inappropriate moments.
    Unfortunately the 650's new NVFS made it impossible to use the mechanism that allows for alarms that do not wake up the device. I try to shut the Treo off as quickly as possible after the alarm though.

For setting the default duration of a profile, I would like to be able to have different values for the week and weekend.
    I guess the best way to do this now is to copy the profile and define a new time period. I understand what you are asking for but the permutations for this request are very numerious. As soon as I provide weekend exceptions, people in Israel will want their weekends to be Fri-Sat instead. And the list would multiply. Since there is *no* limit to the number of profiles you can create, I think the best solution here is to just make a copy of the profile and change the times.

With Bluetooth, it is my experience that BT itself is not a battery drain, it only becomes a problem with an open BT connection that can drain the battery quite fast. So for me it would be better and faster, if I had a way to break that active BT connection. SC already has the ability to silence alarms during a phone call, could it also break up the BT connection automatically after a call?
    I don't completely understand what you are asking for here. Are you asking for this to happen when the Low Battery detection kicks in? If so, then if you have your profile configured to turn off BT, then it will automatically drop any BT connection that is open when the profile executes.

For me, a time check once a week would be completely sufficient. Also it would be nice if SC would not check the time when roaming. Thanks to those insane roaming charges, a single time update can easily cost 2$ (sic!).
    Nice addition. I will try to add this. But I did find that detection of Roaming to be problematic when I did this in CradleCare.

Also I got a nice "trial expired" message. What is your policy on registration? Since SC Phase II is still in beta. I am a bit surprised to be asked to purchase it already.
    Sorry about that! The beta is running longer than I expected so the trial period expired. I will adjust this on the next build tonight. I would *never* ask anyone to purchase a Beta product. In fact I have had people wanting to pay me for the beta product and I have refused their money! This is something that I just do not believe in.

Jeff
  6.    #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrey

Charlie
    Thanks for the post!

I do plan on distributing some basic profiles with the final product to help people get up to speed very quickly. Then modification from there will be an easy task.

I also agree that Tom is doing a great job putting together documentation that unlocks the power of the application.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I am not sure I understand. SC does not write to the calendar at all. It is only reading the calendar.
    I was thinking about the idea to generate !SC..! command strings from a profile, and thought this might be a way of getting !SC<Run Profile>! support into SC without you having to redo your software architecture
    SC checks the calendar whenever it sees the modification date on the calendar has changed...
    How often is that? Do you have a hook to automatically get notifications, or do you need to regularly poll for this?
    Unfortunately the 650's new NVFS made it impossible to use the mechanism that allows for alarms that do not wake up the device...
    The longer I have my Treo, the more this becomes the major NVFS shortcoming in my eyes, even worse than that memory wastage...
    I guess the best way to do this now is to copy the profile and define a new time period. I understand what you are asking for but the permutations for this request are very numerious...
    I agree, this is good enough. Fortunately profiles don't change that often, so having to maintain some duplicates is bearable.
    ...BT...
    I will need to give it some thought, to find out what I really want.
    Sorry about that! The beta is running longer than I expected so the trial period expired. I will adjust this on the next build tonight....
    Jeff
    I think the extra time is worth it. It looks to turn out quite a fine product!
    A few remarks on the draft 6 of the manual:
    Page: 1
    Since you used Distiller, would it be possible to generate a PDF table of contents as well?
    Page: 13
    I would call the "BT on" profiles "Commute" instead. Sounds a bit too technical too me.
    Page: 16
    If you recreate a new profile with the name "Low Battery", will that profile work as well as the built in "Low Battery" one?
    Page: 22
    BT still done via the user interface? If so, put in warning on potential incompatibility with locking utilities.
    Page: 23
    What is the behaviour of nesting: if I have profile A from 10 to 12, and B from 11 to 1, what happens here if A does not allow nested profiles? Does B execute at 12 or does it not execute at all?
    Page: 24
    Checking Clean Start implies "Allow Calendar commands"?
    2nd Sentence: This option has no influence on whether calendar commands can override this profiles settings, this is determined by the "Allows Calendar commands" options. (move to end)
    Last Sentence: I thought that a profile will always apply its settings, and override the calendar commands if needed. The influence would be on the settings that are left unchanged by the profile, it is a way to make sure that your calendar commands do not interfere with your layered profiles setup.
    Page: 25
    Better wording for option: "Zero Volume turns on Vibrate"
    Page: 26 "Notes override Description"
    What does this do? Is this about the order, whether SC first uses the descriptions or the notes field? Or is it which of the two fields is actually used if both are present, causing the other to be ignored?
  9.    #529  
    I was thinking about the idea to generate !SC..! command strings from a profile, and thought this might be a way of getting !SC<Run Profile>! support into SC without you having to redo your software architecture
    The generation of the commands is not the issue. Its the running of the profile from inside an SC that is the issue. I am planning on building an SC command generator inside of the category manager window. I think this is where the more complicated commands will be located.

How often is that? Do you have a hook to automatically get notifications, or do you need to regularly poll for this?
    I poll the calendar database modification time before every command launch. It a *very* fast process that takes fractions of a millisecond to perform.

The longer I have my Treo, the more this becomes the major NVFS shortcoming in my eyes, even worse than that memory wastage...
    Unfortunately this is a significant drawback that was introduced with the 650.

Jeff
  10.    #530  
    A new build was just posted. New features and some fixes. See the top post for details.

****** NOTICE ***** This build will require you to rebuild your profiles.

Jeff
  11.    #531  
    New build posted that fixes listening volume issue

Jeff
    JEFF's EDITS BELOW

A few remarks on the draft 6 of the manual:
    Page: 1
    Since you used Distiller, would it be possible to generate a PDF table of contents as well?
    Yea, I've seen this before. Typical MS Word 'not working and playing well with others'. I'll try to figure it out for the next draft.

Page: 13
    I would call the "BT on" profiles "Commute" instead. Sounds a bit too technical too me.
    Consider it changed. I think "Commute (am)" and "Commute (pm)" makes more sense as well.

Page: 16
    If you recreate a new profile with the name "Low Battery", will that profile work as well as the built in "Low Battery" one?
    Actually, I don't believe there is a hard-coded "Low Battery" profile in the app itself. To use the feature however, you must have one defined. One will be provided with the prod release.

Page: 22
    BT still done via the user interface? If so, put in warning on potential incompatibility with locking utilities.
    That's a good point and I actually had it tentatively on my list since I happen to use mSafe. Actually, I was hoping to help Jeff find the code to control the radio without the u/i, but no luck yet.

JEFF>> Still Looking and yes a warning is very appropriate in this case but the same condition will happen if you choose HotSync since it invokes a UI based application.

Page: 23
    What is the behaviour of nesting: if I have profile A from 10 to 12, and B from 11 to 1, what happens here if A does not allow nested profiles? Does B execute at 12 or does it not execute at all?
    I don't think B will execute at all because it would never get started since A didn't allow nesting. I would have to test that myself to know for sure. Perhaps Jeff can confirm.

JEFF>> Well only the commands that are common to A and B will be effected by the "No Nesting Flag". Any command that is unique to B will execute at 11. B's commands that are common to commands in A will run at 12 and stop at 1.

Page: 24
    Checking Clean Start implies "Allow Calendar commands"?
    2nd Sentence: This option has no influence on whether calendar commands can override this profiles settings, this is determined by the "Allows Calendar commands" options. (move to end)
    Last Sentence: I thought that a profile will always apply its settings, and override the calendar commands if needed. The influence would be on the settings that are left unchanged by the profile, it is a way to make sure that your calendar commands do not interfere with your layered profiles setup.
    To be honest, I don't use the Calendar since I have GoodLink. I'll have to do some experimentation first, but will incorporate these notes into the next draft.

JEFF>> If you Allow Calendar commands but do not enable "Clean Start" any common commands owned by both the Trying to run profile and the already running calendar command will NOT be run in the new profile. The calendar commands will continue to run. Conversely, if you DO check "Clean Start" then all commands that are common to both the running calendar entry and the Trying to run profile will be run by the profile and the common calendar commands will be stopped in favor of the profile commands. But Future calendar commands will be allowed to change command settings made by this profile. So if you disabled "Calendar Commands" then all common calendar commands present and future would not be allowed.

Page: 25
    Better wording for option: "Zero Volume turns on Vibrate"
    Are you talking about the description or the name of the option? I can try to improve the description, but Jeff would have to change the code.

Page: 26 "Notes override Description"
    What does this do? Is this about the order, whether SC first uses the descriptions or the notes field? Or is it which of the two fields is actually used if both are present, causing the other to be ignored?
    Believe it applies to when both are present and determines which one takes precedence. Again, I'd have to test myself to confirm.

JEFF>> This option says to use the !SCx! commands found in the notes section of the calendar entry rather than any !SCx! commands found in the subject line.
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 04/21/2005 at 10:34 PM.
    Jeff - awhile back you asked for a mock up of a new Profile Manager screen. I finally got a chance to do that, so let me know what you think.

I've tried to emulate Palm fonts/sizes as best I could, but if you feel the screen is too busy, we could cut the number of profiles/screen from 10 to 8. That'd still be better than 3. Given I have 13 now, 8 or 10 would be a big improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  14.    #534  
    Jeff - awhile back you asked for a mock up of a new Profile Manager screen. I finally got a chance to do that, so let me know what you think.

I've tried to emulate Palm fonts/sizes as best I could, but if you feel the screen is too busy, we could cut the number of profiles/screen from 10 to 8. That'd still be better than 3. Given I have 13 now, 8 or 10 would be a big improvement.
    I am open to the change but would like to get feedback from others on the layout. It will also take some work ot make the change at this point but I am open to spending the time if this is what the majority want.

Jeff

I am also looking for GSM users to try out the new no-signal feature. It is still untested and I would like to validate that it works on GSM. The thing I really need to test is detection of signal strength. If the feature does not work right now, I will send you a test program that will tell me what I need to know to make this feature work.
    Jeff,

vb09.41 is much more stable on t600 verizon.

one suggestion, and perhaps I don't understand the keyboard functions, however, I would like the option to keep the keyboard ON for the entire time of the display auto off time, or keep keyboard off entirely, or 10 second timeout (palm default). The always on until auto screen off is especially important at night for me to see the keyboard in the dark. I think your options only allow for never on or 10 sec timeout for keyboard.

one remaining error. If I override to a manual profile with mute all on, then the radio tries to turn on and hang still.

[edit] and the auto keyboard lights function still goes into and endless loop if set on.

your getting close on the t600 side.
    Quote Originally Posted by rengelman
    Jeff,

one suggestion, and perhaps I don't understand the keyboard functions, however, I would like the option to keep the keyboard ON for the entire time of the display auto off time
    You can do this with the Enable Keyboard Light Control option in Global Options. When you press the hotkey, the kb lights will stay on throughout the Auto Off period

, or keep keyboard off entirely,
    this is what the black bulb means

or 10 second timeout (palm default).
    this is what the yellow bulb means

The always on until auto screen off is especially important at night for me to see the keyboard in the dark. I think your options only allow for never on or 10 sec timeout for keyboard.
    However, I have noticed that after you use the Enable Keyboard Light Control the first time, the "yellow bulb" behavior changes slightly in that it no longer does the 10 second timeout. Instead, the kb lights won't go off until Auto Off happens.

one remaining error. If I override to a manual profile with mute all on, then the radio tries to turn on and hang still.

[edit] and the auto keyboard lights function still goes into and endless loop if set on.

You can do this with the Enable Keyboard Light Control option in Global Options. When you press the hotkey, the kb lights will stay on throughout the Auto Off period

Yeah, however, I was hoping to have this as a permanent option so that you don't have to try and hotkey in the middle of the night.

So I suggest the following functions in profile manager\configure\display\auto keyboard lights:

Full light bulb on = keep keyboard on until display auto off period

Half light bulb on = keyboard on until standard 10 sec palm timeout

Light bulb off = keep keyboard off at all times
    Last edited by rengelman; 04/22/2005 at 04:49 AM.

I think 8 would be best. With 10, the profile buttons become too small to easily tap when on the move.
    I agree with Moroner on this. The buttons need to be large enough to easily hit accuratly with a finger. 8 looks like a good number to me.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
  20.    #540  
    Quote Originally Posted by rengelman
    Jeff,

one suggestion, and perhaps I don't understand the keyboard functions, however, I would like the option to keep the keyboard ON for the entire time of the display auto off time, or keep keyboard off entirely, or 10 second timeout (palm default). The always on until auto screen off is especially important at night for me to see the keyboard in the dark. I think your options only allow for never on or 10 sec timeout for keyboard.

I have still not ported the keyboard ffunctionality to the 600. That will be in a near term build.

Thanks for your feedback on the 600 stability. What version of the 600 are you running? I have Sprint on my 600 and I do not see the hang problem with mute-on.

Jeff