View Poll Results: Pricing For ProfileCare aka ScheduleCare Phase II. (Honest Options Please)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10 - $15

    7 29.17%
  • $15 - $20

    13 54.17%
  • $20 - $25

    2 8.33%
  • $25 - $30

    2 8.33%
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 738
  1. #21  
    Wow.. quite an inferace already. Wasn't sure what I expected, but it's cool to see your thoughts.

    First - I think profile selection should be the first thing to come up. I personally want to map the side button to this app, so I can hit the side button, and select my profile and upon selecting the profile, it should exit SC. That's how I see the up-front screen should be. Maybe the top half of the front screen shows 4 user-defined profiles which they want readily accessible, and the bottom half goes into setup as you have it... I really think this gives the program a more dynamic interface than just a background manager...

    Now, some stupid questions:
    - What happens if you set up a profile and you don't select something (like screen brightness for example) - what does it default to? Does this need to be set in each profile?
    - Along the same lines, if you set up a few profiles, but there's a time window which doesn't have a profile set, will everything go back to non-SC control?
    - What does the hotsync selection do under system?
    - Under category manager, is this intended to be manual entry for what it should do? I'm not clear how calendar interacts with profiles yet (even after previous discussions) - sorry.
    - What does "Location" mean under profiles?
    - If I don't have vibrate selected, will that override where the toggle on the top of the Treo is set - would be awesome if it would.

    As you can tell, I'm pretty interested in this program...
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    Wow.. quite an inferace already. Wasn't sure what I expected, but it's cool to see your thoughts.

    First - I think profile selection should be the first thing to come up. I personally want to map the side button to this app, so I can hit the side button, and select my profile and upon selecting the profile, it should exit SC. That's how I see the up-front screen should be. Maybe the top half of the front screen shows 4 user-defined profiles which they want readily accessible, and the bottom half goes into setup as you have it... I really think this gives the program a more dynamic interface than just a background manager...
    Well I will be implementing a HotKey (ie sde button or something else) that will bring up a list of profiles to choose from. It will not execute the entire SC UI but just a small list box that you can choose a profile from to execute. I think this will be a nice quick and easy way to enable a profile. That means that you will only have to enter the full UI if you want to change/add/delete a profile. Thoughts????


    Now, some stupid questions:
    - What happens if you set up a profile and you don't select something (like screen brightness for example) - what does it default to? Does this need to be set in each profile?
    If you do not select something, then it will default to what the condition is when the profile executes. I see profiles being a "change what I tell you to and leave the reset alone" type of program.

    - Along the same lines, if you set up a few profiles, but there's a time window which doesn't have a profile set, will everything go back to non-SC control?
    Each time SC executes (calendar, profiles, etc) it saves the state of the commands it changes. When complete, these states will be restored.

    - What does the hotsync selection do under system?
    Performs a HotSync at the beginning of the appointment to the default Connection.

    - Under category manager, is this intended to be manual entry for what it should do? I'm not clear how calendar interacts with profiles yet (even after previous discussions) - sorry.
    Categories will remain unchanged. They allow you to build specific commands that will be tied to calendar entries. Again I see the following scenario for a complete profile offering:

    • Timed or Location profiles set the initial configuration of your Treo
    • Calendar entries can override the above profile settings for more control over Treo configurations
    • Manual profiles will override the above 2 configurations
    So what this gives you is the following:

    A profile that creates a daytime configuration:
    • Phone Radio On
    • BlueTooth On
    • Load ring volume
    • Bright screen setting
    Now you go into a Meeting during the day and SC sees this calendar entry and mutes your phone because of either a category or a !scA0! command in the text of the meeting itself. Thne after the meeting is complete, the ringer resturns the the DayTime profile setting.

    Now if you want you can overirde the DayTime profile my hotkeying to another profile. In this case you will override any calendar commands.

    Does this make sense? I think this gives people the ultimate flexability over their Treo's configuration.

    - What does "Location" mean under profiles?
    This option will allow SC to look for BlueTooth devices and set a profile based on what it finds. For example if you walk into your office and plug in your Treo. It finds that your office PC has a BlueTooth adaptor and sees that its name is "officePc". It will automatically enable a profile. IN that profile you may want to forward your phone to your desk phone or change your ringtone to something appropriate for the office, etc.....

    - If I don't have vibrate selected, will that override where the toggle on the top of the Treo is set - would be awesome if it would.
    I can do that! Good idea. When you throw the hardware switch would you want all sound types to have vibrate enabled or just the ones you have defined in the profile? Also should this be a profile option or a global option?


    As you can tell, I'm pretty interested in this program...
    I am very glad you are involved with this developement! I hope everyone takes the opportunity to get involved. I'm not sure how many opportunites people have to effect the developement of an application from the beginning.

    Again, my goal for this application is to make sure it fits as many people's needs as possible. At the same time I want it to remain intuative and easy to use.

    Jeff
  3. #23  
    Here's what I want to see in the manual, or 'lite' version of a profile app. It's very similar to Milan's profiles app:

    1. A very simple way to call up the list of pre-defined profiles and select one. Holding down the Opt key, like profiles did, worked fine. Or a double click of the side button. There should probably be multiple methods to choose from to satisfy everyone's desires.

    2. The ability to set, in each named profile, the following attributes:
    (mandatory)
    phone wallpaper
    brightness
    color theme
    Sounds (ring tone and volume at a minimum. A link to the prefs "Sound and Alerts" setting would be fine, or a duplication of that functionality).

    (strongly desired)
    keyboard lights on/off/delay time (like the KB lights app)
    LED on/off

    (nice to have)
    radio on/off
    Bluetooth on/off/options

    3. an on-screen notification of which profile is set, and the ability to turn that notification on/off for each profile. (I don't want the delay involved in seeing the notification for my 'normal' profile, but do want to be reminded when I've set a different one).


    As for priority and precedence of manual vs. scheduled profiles, I think I agree with airjoe that having options would be nice:

    1. Manual overrides everything else until it's turned off.

    2. Manual profile remains in effect only until the next automatic profile change takes place.

    Switching at midnight seems artificial. On weekends, many of us will be out well past midnight. If I'm watching a midnight movie, I don't want my manually set dim / silent profile to suddenly switch off.

    If, for simplicities sake, you don't want to code these options, then I'd vote for manual means manual, and stays in place until I change it.

    That's it for now. I'll post again if I think of anything else.

    Thanks!
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Here's what I want to see in the manual, or 'lite' version of a profile app. It's very similar to Milan's profiles app:

    1. A very simple way to call up the list of pre-defined profiles and select one. Holding down the Opt key, like profiles did, worked fine. Or a double click of the side button. There should probably be multiple methods to choose from to satisfy everyone's desires.
    Is what I described above what you are thinking of?

    2. The ability to set, in each named profile, the following attributes:
    (mandatory)
    phone wallpaper
    brightness
    color theme
    Sounds (ring tone and volume at a minimum. A link to the prefs "Sound and Alerts" setting would be fine, or a duplication of that functionality).

    (strongly desired)
    keyboard lights on/off/delay time (like the KB lights app)
    LED on/off

    (nice to have)
    radio on/off
    Bluetooth on/off/options
    Have you loaded the mockup? It covers most all of this. I like the keyboard idea since the 650 totally left this out of the implementation!

    3. an on-screen notification of which profile is set, and the ability to turn that notification on/off for each profile. (I don't want the delay involved in seeing the notification for my 'normal' profile, but do want to be reminded when I've set a different one).
    This is in the mockup.


    As for priority and precedence of manual vs. scheduled profiles, I think I agree with airjoe that having options would be nice:

    1. Manual overrides everything else until it's turned off.
    I like this idea.

    2. Manual profile remains in effect only until the next automatic profile change takes place.

    Switching at midnight seems artificial. On weekends, many of us will be out well past midnight. If I'm watching a midnight movie, I don't want my manually set dim / silent profile to suddenly switch off.

    If, for simplicities sake, you don't want to code these options, then I'd vote for manual means manual, and stays in place until I change it.

    That's it for now. I'll post again if I think of anything else.

    Thanks!
    This is going to be a tricky one. I think this will naturally evolve during developement. I too think manual means manual. I will start up timed profiles again when I want them. But I also would like for an option to have it automatically turn back into automatic. Perhaps a setting that allows for displaying a popup window before the manual profile executes asking for a time window to be active. Again this would only be an option. I would present a default time setting and then the user could change that setting each time a manual profile executed.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I think so unless I can find a way to hack into the 650. Perhaps shadowmite can help me find the right place to hack.
    I don't think that is going to happen. He says he needs some time off from this stuff as he is starting to get burned out.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    My thought as well. This is also the simplest to code. I'm thinking out loud here but maybe an option that would reset manually set profiles back to automatic at midnight maybe?
    Yes an option to select if you want your profiles set back to automatic at midnight would work out great here. However if I put something in manual I want it to *STAY* in manual mode unless I change it back. There are reasons that you might want this (vacation, death in the family, etc.)

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I suppose you can get into many levels of complexity but I look at it as a top down approach to Treo management. Profiles give you global control over Treo behavior. You can then get more specific control based on specific calendar events first based on category types then more specific based on individual canendar events. Personally I think this is a pretty flexable design when you look at it from a high level. Granted you can build some pretty complicated scenarios but isn't that a feature? My goal is to provide an application that can at the high end is very easy to use and for the power user, an application that allows people to control every aspect of their prized device.

    Keep the ideas and comments coming! This is what will lead to a solid product that fits many people's needs.

    Jeff
    It's looking nice so far. I wish I would have had more time to get in on the initial beta. I was lurking though and trying to keep up with stuff.

    One question I have though is how on earth did the Keyboard Lights On/Off command not get into the first version? I would have thought this would have been as important to most as radio on/off, screen brightness, etc. I like some of the features requests like led on/off and others but I really consider the Keyboard controls a deal breaker.

    From my perpective this program offers me two things.

    1. Noise control (do you want your treo noisy or not) and
    2. Power Savings (do you want your treo to save as much power as possible when not needed or not), hence the fact that I am surprised that radio control and screen brightness made it in, but keyboard on/off/delay did not.

    Yeah and I know I can buy a jillion apps for $5 each to do each of these things but that gets very tiresome, annoying, and expensive. I would rather just pay $15 for something that did most/all of what I needed. I am hoping that palm will see the stupidity in not allowing mp3 ringtones in the treo 600/650 and will create a patch that will allow them in the future, then I think schedule care would do almost everything I would need from a utility standpoint in keeping my palm and myself happy.

    -Shawn
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrixey
    I don't think that is going to happen. He says he needs some time off from this stuff as he is starting to get burned out.



    Yes an option to select if you want your profiles set back to automatic at midnight would work out great here. However if I put something in manual I want it to *STAY* in manual mode unless I change it back. There are reasons that you might want this (vacation, death in the family, etc.)



    It's looking nice so far. I wish I would have had more time to get in on the initial beta. I was lurking though and trying to keep up with stuff.

    One question I have though is how on earth did the Keyboard Lights On/Off command not get into the first version? I would have thought this would have been as important to most as radio on/off, screen brightness, etc. I like some of the features requests like led on/off and others but I really consider the Keyboard controls a deal breaker.

    From my perpective this program offers me two things.

    1. Noise control (do you want your treo noisy or not) and
    2. Power Savings (do you want your treo to save as much power as possible when not needed or not), hence the fact that I am surprised that radio control and screen brightness made it in, but keyboard on/off/delay did not.

    Yeah and I know I can buy a jillion apps for $5 each to do each of these things but that gets very tiresome, annoying, and expensive. I would rather just pay $15 for something that did most/all of what I needed. I am hoping that palm will see the stupidity in not allowing mp3 ringtones in the treo 600/650 and will create a patch that will allow them in the future, then I think schedule care would do almost everything I would need from a utility standpoint in keeping my palm and myself happy.

    -Shawn
    Thanks for your thoughts! The keyboard issue was a complete oversight! I was using KBLights until the trial ran out. Then I remembered how annoying and *broken* the 650's keyboard control is. I then coded up my own "KBlights" for myself and will now incorporate that functionality into ScheduleCare with some advanced behaviors. I can throw some basic functionality into Phase I ScheduleCare to hold people over if needed. (My good friend Jean-Francios is also in the process of trying to solve the keyboard issue inside of BrightCam. I am helping him port and test BC on the 650 as we speak.)

    Jeff
  7. #27  
    Comments bolded...

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Well I will be implementing a HotKey (ie sde button or something else) that will bring up a list of profiles to choose from. It will not execute the entire SC UI but just a small list box that you can choose a profile from to execute. I think this will be a nice quick and easy way to enable a profile. That means that you will only have to enter the full UI if you want to change/add/delete a profile. Thoughts????

    Like it - serves the same function. As long as I can map side button to it, I'm happy.


    • Timed or Location profiles set the initial configuration of your Treo
    • Calendar entries can override the above profile settings for more control over Treo configurations
    • Manual profiles will override the above 2 configurations
    So what this gives you is the following:

    A profile that creates a daytime configuration:
    • Phone Radio On
    • BlueTooth On
    • Load ring volume
    • Bright screen setting
    Now you go into a Meeting during the day and SC sees this calendar entry and mutes your phone because of either a category or a !scA0! command in the text of the meeting itself. Thne after the meeting is complete, the ringer resturns the the DayTime profile setting.

    Now if you want you can overirde the DayTime profile my hotkeying to another profile. In this case you will override any calendar commands.

    Does this make sense? I think this gives people the ultimate flexability over their Treo's configuration.



    This option will allow SC to look for BlueTooth devices and set a profile based on what it finds. For example if you walk into your office and plug in your Treo. It finds that your office PC has a BlueTooth adaptor and sees that its name is "officePc". It will automatically enable a profile. IN that profile you may want to forward your phone to your desk phone or change your ringtone to something appropriate for the office, etc.....

    Like it... Having thought about it more, I like the Bluetooth integration since I only really use it while driving, so I can schedule drive time to meetings to automatically turn on BT, or a generic time to/from work.

    I can do that! Good idea. When you throw the hardware switch would you want all sound types to have vibrate enabled or just the ones you have defined in the profile? Also should this be a profile option or a global option?

    I think that's a profile selection. I'd like to create a silent profile which KILLS EVERYTHING! When I'm in a 1:1 meeting with someone, vibrate can be REALLY annoying. Otherwise, I'd like vibrate included in most of my settings regardless where the hardware swith is. That's my personal usage anyways...

    Jeff
    .
  8. #28  
    ...If this program's gonna be more than 100k in size, might consider what's needed to run it from ROM. I suspect this affects a little in the architecture for savings preferences,etc...
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    ...If this program's gonna be more than 100k in size, might consider what's needed to run it from ROM. I suspect this affects a little in the architecture for savings preferences,etc...
    I hope that it will stay below 100K. Right now you are seeing the added size of the standard debugging code. What do you mean that it will affect saving preferences? Don't know if I understand this one.
  10. #30  
    I know I asked before, but maybe if I beg, you'll consider putting an alarm-off setting during calls (global options)... I'd hate to do all this to SC, and find out P-T or T-G don't play nice with the customization being added. pppaaaalllllllleeeeeeaaaaaassssssee. hehe...
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I hope that it will stay below 100K. Right now you are seeing the added size of the standard debugging code. What do you mean that it will affect saving preferences? Don't know if I understand this one.
    Some programs don't seem to run right if they won't save registrations, etc. I thought you'd know more than me about that... What do I know...? Just mentioning it as a consideration up front.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    Comments bolded...

    I can do that! Good idea. When you throw the hardware switch would you want all sound types to have vibrate enabled or just the ones you have defined in the profile? Also should this be a profile option or a global option?

    I think that's a profile selection. I'd like to create a silent profile which KILLS EVERYTHING! When I'm in a 1:1 meeting with someone, vibrate can be REALLY annoying. Otherwise, I'd like vibrate included in most of my settings regardless where the hardware swith is. That's my personal usage anyways...

    .
    Well you have that already right? Right now when I set vibrate mode, I enable vibrate on both hardware switch settings. So if you tunrn off vibration and sounds (!scA0! !scV0!), you will get no indication beyond the LED.

    Jeff
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    I know I asked before, but maybe if I beg, you'll consider putting an alarm-off setting during calls (global options)... I'd hate to do all this to SC, and find out P-T or T-G don't play nice with the customization being added. pppaaaalllllllleeeeeeaaaaaassssssee. hehe...
    You'll have to do better than that. Pretty pathetic begging if you ask me.

    Let me try to understand what you are asking for. There are a couple of different things that happen during an alarm:

    * You have your audible alarm tones/vibrate
    * You have standard popup messages/indicators
    * You have custom alarm windows from tools like DateBk5

    What would you like to have turned off? I have seen this functionality a long time ago but I do not run these types of applications so I will need a little help understanding what level of effort is needed here to satisfy your requirments.

    Jeff
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    You'll have to do better than that. Pretty pathetic begging if you ask me.

    Let me try to understand what you are asking for. There are a couple of different things that happen during an alarm:

    * You have your audible alarm tones/vibrate
    * You have standard popup messages/indicators
    * You have custom alarm windows from tools like DateBk5

    What would you like to have turned off? I have seen this functionality a long time ago but I do not run these types of applications so I will need a little help understanding what level of effort is needed here to satisfy your requirments.

    Jeff
    Just to turn off vibrate & audible alarms while on a call. Only TreoGuard & PhoneTechnician do this, to my knowledge. They also do things like turn phone on/off at certain times, which I will use SC for...
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Well you have that already right? Right now when I set vibrate mode, I enable vibrate on both hardware switch settings. So if you tunrn off vibration and sounds (!scA0! !scV0!), you will get no indication beyond the LED.

    Jeff
    Yes, I have vibrate turned on for sound and no sound, but if it's set up "globally", I don't have a way to stop vibrate w/o SC. Because I only want to turn off vibrate in my "silent" profile, I don't think that should be a global setting (back to your original question).
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    You'll have to do better than that. Pretty pathetic begging if you ask me.

    Let me try to understand what you are asking for. There are a couple of different things that happen during an alarm:

    * You have your audible alarm tones/vibrate
    * You have standard popup messages/indicators
    * You have custom alarm windows from tools like DateBk5

    What would you like to have turned off? I have seen this functionality a long time ago but I do not run these types of applications so I will need a little help understanding what level of effort is needed here to satisfy your requirments.

    Jeff
    I second this request, although not as critical since there are other apps that will do it. What I suggest is that when a call is active, no alarm sounds from any app should be audible. Having a Datebk5 alarm go off in my ear while I'm talking on the phone is annoying to both me and the person on the other end of the call. I suspect this is relatively easy to code. I think allowing the vibrating alarm to come through is probably a good idea, but maybe this could be a user-settable option.

    But (and this may be harder, but I'm pretty sure Phone Technician does it), after the call is over, any pending alarms that were silenced should now sound, so that I know I missed an alarm while on the call.

    BTW, I hadn't looked at the new beta before writing my earlier comments. I was just giving you my thoughts about what would be important to me.

    Thanks again,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    Yes, I have vibrate turned on for sound and no sound, but if it's set up "globally", I don't have a way to stop vibrate w/o SC. Because I only want to turn off vibrate in my "silent" profile, I don't think that should be a global setting (back to your original question).
    Good plug for SC thanks....
  18.    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I second this request, although not as critical since there are other apps that will do it. What I suggest is that when a call is active, no alarm sounds from any app should be audible. Having a Datebk5 alarm go off in my ear while I'm talking on the phone is annoying to both me and the person on the other end of the call. I suspect this is relatively easy to code. I think allowing the vibrating alarm to come through is probably a good idea, but maybe this could be a user-settable option.

    But (and this may be harder, but I'm pretty sure Phone Technician does it), after the call is over, any pending alarms that were silenced should now sound, so that I know I missed an alarm while on the call.

    BTW, I hadn't looked at the new beta before writing my earlier comments. I was just giving you my thoughts about what would be important to me.

    Thanks again,
    This option is not in the B0.1 beta mockup but it will be added. I forst needed to know what people wanted first. Sound control is a "easy" thing to include.

    I will have to think about the "after call notification". I think that most programs give a slash screen along with the alarm. In the case of using standard palm supportted alarms, you get the '*' flashing in the upper left of the screen. In the case of DateBk5 they popup a custom alert window. I can see that it might get pretty complicated and maybe impossible to trap all alarms and replay those back to the user after a call since many programs bypass the standard alarm mechanism.

    Lets take it in steps. I'll add the sound/vibrate filter first and we can go from there.

    Thoughts???

    Jeff
  19. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    This option is not in the B0.1 beta mockup but it will be added. I forst needed to know what people wanted first. Sound control is a "easy" thing to include.

    I will have to think about the "after call notification". I think that most programs give a slash screen along with the alarm. In the case of using standard palm supportted alarms, you get the '*' flashing in the upper left of the screen. In the case of DateBk5 they popup a custom alert window. I can see that it might get pretty complicated and maybe impossible to trap all alarms and replay those back to the user after a call since many programs bypass the standard alarm mechanism.

    Lets take it in steps. I'll add the sound/vibrate filter first and we can go from there.

    Thoughts???

    Jeff
    I think that using the "blinking star" would be the best way to handle this. This way after a call the user can go and see what they missed.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
  20. Fittske's Avatar
    Posts
    607 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #40  
    Also Jeff, have you thought about adding the ability to change "color themes" ? I didn't see this option in the mock up?
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions