View Poll Results: Pricing For ProfileCare aka ScheduleCare Phase II. (Honest Options Please)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10 - $15

7 29.17%
  • $15 - $20

13 54.17%
  • $20 - $25

2 8.33%
  • $25 - $30

2 8.33%
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
    Is it still necessary to delete old versions before installing new? And, when deleting, what order should we delete the two separate .prc files?

I just deleted .19 to install .20. I deleted the main app first, and immediately got into an endless loop of "databases are out of sync" errors. The only way to get out of the loop was to do a soft reset.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  2.    #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moroner
    The hotkey becomes enabled again.
    Wow I have not seen this one and can not reproduce in the newset build.

I am sorry for the confusion. I meant the dialog box that pops up if you press the profiles hot key. What name do you use for it?
    I think of it as the Manual profile Execution window but I did notice that I call it the Profile Manager. Need to change the name of this screen to Manual Profile Manager.

I will look into seeing what I can do to show a status indicator of other activity other than a manual profile. Screen area is tight. What would you think of a blinking orange LED to show that other calendar and/or profiles are running?

Jeff
  3.    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Startup Splash Screen Ideas:

I'm thinking that the startup splash screen could be modified into a 2 screen approach. First screen would be a simple large font ID of the active profile and duration with a user configureable timeout. Top 2/3 of the screen if touched would dismiss the screen before the timeout expires bottom third of screen should be 2 large (fingerable) buttons that launch the current detailed status screen without a timeout and the profile select screen for changing/stopping the current profile.

This way there is quick easy profile ID and dismiss and easy access to the details and ability to change the current profile when desired. I would also like the ability to assign a hot key to bring up the status on demand. This of course would be optional for those of us that want it and have a free key combo available to use it. I like the idea that the PowerOnScreen does not show if there is no active profile.

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

-X
    I think you are forgetting that there can be many profiles active at the same time. I am not sure this approach will handle the general case.

Jeff
  4.    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Is it still necessary to delete old versions before installing new? And, when deleting, what order should we delete the two separate .prc files?

I just deleted .19 to install .20. I deleted the main app first, and immediately got into an endless loop of "databases are out of sync" errors. The only way to get out of the loop was to do a soft reset.
    During development, I normally just do an update right over the top of the old version. This however can lead to some corruption in the internal databases. So if you follow this approach make sure to first disable all of SC. Then overlay the new updates over the top of the old versions. Then go back in and re-enable profiles and/or calendar support.

If however you start seeing some unexpected behavior, I would recommend doing a clean uninstall and re-install of both utilities.

And if you are deleting the applications, first disable profiles and calendar support in SC before deleting any application. That way you will avoid the database out of sync error from SC-HotKey.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    ...I think of it as the Manual profile Execution window but I did notice that I call it the Profile Manager. Need to change the name of this screen to Manual Profile Manager.
    What a mouthful . Since the hotkey option is already labeled "Hotkey profile switch", would "Profile Switcher" be a better name?

I will look into seeing what I can do to show a status indicator of other activity other than a manual profile. Screen area is tight. What would you think of a blinking orange LED to show that other calendar and/or profiles are running?
    Do you talk about a status indicator that is running all the time, or do you mean one that is only visible when the profile switcher is open? In the profile switcher dialog, the indication would not need to be large, since one can always invoke the status dialog instead. The LED would work in the dialog also.
    What about the feasability of invoking the status dialog from the profile switcher? My reason to conserve hotkeys is quite simple: there are only four that work nicely in a car: press and hold for option, left shift, right shift and menu. Add to this my leaky memory, and you know why I prefer as few hotkeys as possible.

Some other notes on the latest release (0.9.20):
    (p is a profile with kb lights enabled, L the kb light hotkey. + is on, - off)

- kb light hotkey no longer disabled by sequence p+p-p+p-p+L-p-, but hotkey could still become disabled otherwise (don't know how, was enabling/disabling a timed profile).

- In the profile config dialog, if the brightness level is changed with the 5-way, the original value is not restored. Works correctly with the stylus, however.

- After the sequence p+p-p+p-L-, auto kb light mode remains enabled.

- I checked with a timed profile that disabled all system sounds. In the system preferences, I set system sounds to off. After that profile stopped, the system sounds suddenly came on! I know that using Realplayer can cause the system sounds to come on as well, so it is a bug in the Treo software. But would it be possible to have SC work around that? It would be nice if SC could remute the system sounds if necessary, both when a profile change takes place, and when I hotkey into the profile switcher dialog.
  6.    #346  
    What a mouthful . Since the hotkey option is already labeled "Hotkey profile switch", would "Profile Switcher" be a better name?
    Good idea I'll give it some thought.

Do you talk about a status indicator that is running all the time, or do you mean one that is only visible when the profile switcher is open? In the profile switcher dialog, the indication would not need to be large, since one can always invoke the status dialog instead. The LED would work in the dialog also.
    What about the feasability of invoking the status dialog from the profile switcher? My reason to conserve hotkeys is quite simple: there are only four that work nicely in a car: press and hold for option, left shift, right shift and menu. Add to this my leaky memory, and you know why I prefer as few hotkeys as possible.
    Thanks for the ideas. I'll see what I can do. And no I would not suggest having a status indicator running all the time.

Some other notes on the latest release (0.9.20):
    (p is a profile with kb lights enabled, L the kb light hotkey. + is on, - off)

- kb light hotkey no longer disabled by sequence p+p-p+p-p+L-p-, but hotkey could still become disabled otherwise (don't know how, was enabling/disabling a timed profile).

- In the profile config dialog, if the brightness level is changed with the 5-way, the original value is not restored. Works correctly with the stylus, however.

- After the sequence p+p-p+p-L-, auto kb light mode remains enabled.
    You have confused me with this one! Are you saying that if you toggle a profile on/off and then toggle the hotkey these things happen? How are you toggling the profiles? What does L- mean? I understand that L is the hotkey but I don't understand the -.

- I checked with a timed profile that disabled all system sounds. In the system preferences, I set system sounds to off. After that profile stopped, the system sounds suddenly came on! I know that using Realplayer can cause the system sounds to come on as well, so it is a bug in the Treo software. But would it be possible to have SC work around that? It would be nice if SC could remute the system sounds if necessary, both when a profile change takes place, and when I hotkey into the profile switcher dialog.
    A little more detail would help. When the profile stops is there another profile that assumes control of the system sounds? Otherwise, the system sounds will revert back to the state they were in prior to your profile changing them.

Now other utilities out there can play with the system sounds. Real may do this and also KeyCaps (the older version) did this.

Jeff
    On the Bluetooth location idea a few unstructured thoughts:

We can distinguish between device name, device type, device Id and device pairing key. This will work as long as each device is a good enough indicator of where I am. Bluetooth has a range of about 30 meters, less with walls, so it will always be an approximation of where you are.

Also to make it work the code will need to be able to deal with multiple devices at once: what happens if I have an active connection, will the other bluetooth devices in range still be detected?

Trying to understand what all of this means: A GPS denotes a car, a computer either home or the office, and a headset, well a kind of "I'm now prepared for phone calls" mode. All these do not really sound too useful to me, but it would allow a boss function to be implemented, based on detecting the boss' bluetooth phone, and change the profile to a more serious one. I think the main problem is that location is both a narrower and a wider space than what can reliably be detected by Bluetooth. Think of work, or a conference room.

For an implementation, I would allow the user to form device groups based on BT profiles and on BT ids, and allow the user to require that an id is trusted. These group could overlap, and a profile could be active while any member of a group is in range. Since you will probably have no more than five trusted devices (head set, car set, gps, two computers), I do not see the benefit of restricting BT profiles to trusted devices only.

Now we need BT location senders, that do nothing more than announce their id to everybody else...
    Now we need BT location senders, that do nothing more than announce their id to everybody else...
    Bluetooth Beacons. There are already some attempts to use this in shopping malls and airports. Do a google for "Bluetooth Beacon" I found a few interesting articles on the subject yesterday while pondering the same idea

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    ... You have confused me with this one! Are you saying that if you toggle a profile on/off and then toggle the hotkey these things happen? How are you toggling the profiles? What does L- mean? I understand that L is the hotkey but I don't understand the -.
    I toggle the profiles by hotkeying into the manual profile manager, and then either starting or stopping the profile. The - after the L indicates that the hotkey turns off the kb light. I note this, because the lights are sometimes on and sometimes off after profile switching.
    The only thing the profile does is enabling the kb auto lights mode.
    A little more detail would help. When the profile stops is there another profile that assumes control of the system sounds?
    There is no other profile running, and I get this behaviour with manual switching while in the PalmOne Launcher. My Treo has ROM 1.06, and FW 1.15.
    I'm back up and running after re-flashing my t600 and using v0.9.20.

I still get a rest loop now only when I set the Auto KB lights to anything other than ---. All other optins on the tabs do not create a reset now.

Other items:
    - When overriding from one manual profile to another, I prefer that the new profile totally override the old manually set profile. Right now, if allow nested profile commands is off, and the first manual profile has radio off and the next manually set profile has radio on, the radio will not come on. If allow np comm is on on the first profile, the next profile will turn the radio on, but when I stop that profile it reverts to the first manual profile. When I press stop, I would prefer for all manual profiles to stop and return back to the timed or calendar profiles that are then in place.

- When setting manual overriden profiles and changing the time from unlimited, the time set is not remembered. When I hotkey back into the manual profile, the time has reverted to unlimited.

- When a manual profile turns the radio off or on, the top bar of the dial pad window still shows the radio on or off respectively until I exit out of dial pad and into something else then return back to dial pad.
    Quick question:

I'm using DateBk 5 for my alarms with the "Datebk5 Handles Alarms" preference checked. Is DateBk5 one of the programs (in this configuration) where the 'calendar' setting in SC does not affect the alarm sound when an appointment occurs? In other words, if I have a profile where 'calendar' volume is set to 0, but when datebk 5 triggers the alarm, it's still at full volume???
  12.    #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj
    Quick question:

I'm using DateBk 5 for my alarms with the "Datebk5 Handles Alarms" preference checked. Is DateBk5 one of the programs (in this configuration) where the 'calendar' setting in SC does not affect the alarm sound when an appointment occurs? In other words, if I have a profile where 'calendar' volume is set to 0, but when datebk 5 triggers the alarm, it's still at full volume???
    I just tested this with DateBk5 and it appears that DateBk5 follows the calendar settings made by ScheduleCare for both Volume and Vibration settings.

Jeff
    OK. I'm definitely getting different behavior with my 600 and Datebk5 V-5.4a. If I uncheck the 'Datebk5 Handles Alarms' box, it works as defined by my SC calendar settings (Volume 0, Vibrate, Vibrate), but if 'Datebk5 handles alarms' IS checked it doesn't (in this case it still makes the alarm sounds). Edit: Datebk5 does seem to follow the existing Vib settings for calendar, but not the sound settings. I'll run some tests myself during my red-eye back east tonight to see if I can figure this out...

Also, I'm getting some delayed alarm notifications as well (I noticed this mentioned a few pages back too). I think it's due to the 'no alarms' during calls setting which doesn't always clear at the end of a call. The way it seems to happen for me is I'm on call #1 and end that call (usually by the soft button on the screen although sometimes it just ends (no button press by me). The setting works as it should since the alarms which have passed while I was on call #1 do not trigger while I'm on the call. Unfortunately they also do not trigger at the end of the call. I make another call (#2) some time later and then I end that call. At this point, I get all the alarms which have stacked up: starting with the ones which would have triggered during call#1, followed by the ones which should have triggered during the period between calls, (no alarms even between call #1 and call #2), and finally the ones which would have triggered while I was on call #2. They just keep coming until I check them all off. However I can't seem to set this up as a reproducable problem (to be honest, I haven't spent a lot of time trying this)--I'll continue testing and let you know if I can pinpoint the conditions where this occurs. I'll also try to test this with and without Datebk5 in case it's affecting this situation.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

John
    Last edited by greenawayj; 03/31/2005 at 05:39 PM. Reason: clarity
  14.    #354  
    This build continues to strngthen the quality of the product. This release fixes:

* Command execution problems with nested commands
    * Fixes the problem when stopping and starting manual profiles in one step
    * Fixes many other problems people were reporting concerning commands not executing correctly or just being inconsistent.

Xathros and I spent a lot of time discovering new things to fix over the last day and a half.

Jeff
  15.    #355  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj
    OK. I'm definitely getting different behavior with my 600 and Datebk5 V-5.4a. If I uncheck the 'Datebk5 Handles Alarms' box, it works as defined by my SC calendar settings (Volume 0, Vibrate, Vibrate), but if 'Datebk5 handles alarms' IS checked it doesn't (in this case it still makes the alarm sounds). Edit: Datebk5 does seem to follow the existing Vib settings for calendar, but not the sound settings. I'll run some tests myself during my red-eye back east tonight to see if I can figure this out...
    I made several fixes in build B0.9.23 that may have solved this problem for you. Were you by any chance configuring your phone ring tones in a profile or a calendar command? Anyway try B0.9.23 and see if this now works for you.

Also, I'm getting some delayed alarm notifications as well (I noticed this mentioned a few pages back too). I think it's due to the 'no alarms' during calls setting which doesn't always clear at the end of a call. The way it seems to happen for me is I'm on call #1 and end that call (usually by the soft button on the screen although sometimes it just ends (no button press by me). The setting works as it should since the alarms which have passed while I was on call #1 do not trigger while I'm on the call. Unfortunately they also do not trigger at the end of the call. I make another call (#2) some time later and then I end that call. At this point, I get all the alarms which have stacked up: starting with the ones which would have triggered during call#1, followed by the ones which should have triggered during the period between calls, (no alarms even between call #1 and call #2), and finally the ones which would have triggered while I was on call #2. They just keep coming until I check them all off. However I can't seem to set this up as a reproducable problem (to be honest, I haven't spent a lot of time trying this)--I'll continue testing and let you know if I can pinpoint the conditions where this occurs. I'll also try to test this with and without Datebk5 in case it's affecting this situation.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

John
    I will look into this issue in detail. If there indeed is a problem I will find it and fix it ASAP.

Jeff
  16.    #356  
    How many people would like to be able to schedule the automatic update of your system time through ScheduleCare? Seems like a winner given how broken "Enable Local Network Time" is on the 650. Along with this, I could see the option to schedule automatic changing of timezones based on the knowledge of where and when you will be travling to differnet timezones. So you could create calendar entries that would allow you to say for the duration of this calendar event change my system's time and timezone to EDT.

Thoughts????

Jeff
    Jeff - Re: Datebk5. I found the problem before I saw your response. Not sure why/how this happens, but in Dbk5's Alarm Sounds screen (accessed via Preferences-Alarms Tab-Sounds&Buttons-Tap to select), my settings for each category (Appt, To-do, Snooze, & Reminder) were all set to 'none'. However, there must be some default sound setting if the user doesn't select one, since I've used Dbk5 religiously for years now and always have sounds for each of those events--I had just never changed these settings after CESD added the functionality to select sounds for dbk5 alarms.

Anyway, after I selected a sound from the dropdown list, SC now works perfectly and the Dbk5-Handled-Alarms (Sound and Vib) are now fully-controlled by the active profile setting. Kind of a weird thing, but I thought I'd share this in case anyone else was having the same problem. Now I can't even recreate this condition since it seems that once that field is selected, I can't get it to go back to the null state. Oh well. SC and dbk5 are both working as expected now.

I'll look into the delayed alarms more tomorrow and get back to you. Good night.
    When I click on SC-Hotkey, I get an error telling me that the database is out of sync. I then have to soft reset the device. I just installed the latest beta version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katahdin
    When I click on SC-Hotkey, I get an error telling me that the database is out of sync. I then have to soft reset the device. I just installed the latest beta version.
    Did you install both SCKey and Schedulecare at the same time ? If not, you may have a mismatch between ScheduleCare and SCKey.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    I had th same problem. after the softreset I went into Schedulcare FIRST and the when I opened hotkey it worked fine.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson