View Poll Results: Pricing For ProfileCare aka ScheduleCare Phase II. (Honest Options Please)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10 - $15

7 29.17%
  • $15 - $20

13 54.17%
  • $20 - $25

2 8.33%
  • $25 - $30

2 8.33%
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
  1.    #321  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I like the idea of a power on notification that I have a profile set, but what you're dispalying is too much info and stays on the screen too long. how about this:
    Well any touch of the screen will timeout the window and you can hit the OK button to clear.

What I am finding though is that with this popup configured, my Treo is waking up and staying awake when it is not supposed to. Very annoying and I so far can not figure out how to stop this behavior.

If no profile is active, display nothing. If, and only if, a profile is active display only the profile name, and only for about 1 or 2 seconds.

This will do the job of reminding me I have a profile set, so I don't go around with my sounds off all day. The name should be enough to tell me what my profile does, and I can always check the status screen if I want more detail. And a 1 - 2 second delay shouldn't interfere much with other functionality.
    Well there could be upto 22 profiles active depending on how people have used nesting.

Personally, I really like having a notice that I've set a non-standard profile.

Edit: Another option might be to have the notifier be an option for each individual profile, rather than a global option. That way I could set it on for profiles that aren't visually obvious, and leave it off for profiles that I'll quickly identify as non-standard. I still think the notifier should be only the profile name, and only for a second or two.
    This may work better but I still think there may be side effects that people don't like. What about non-visual identifiers? LED flash or vibrate? This would be a much easier and "safer" thing to implement.

Jeff
  2.    #322  
    Quote Originally Posted by rengelman
    v0.9.19 still resets with timed profiles if the profile has sounds set to other than ----, I haven't tried to figure out if it is any particular sound.
    It sounds like you have some real corruption somewhere. I just tested a profile that set every sound type possible on the 600 and it ran perfectly. Now I am sure there are veriations that may cause a crash. Would it be possible for you to send me the following files so I can try to reproduce your environment?

Saved Preferences
    ScheduleCareDB
    SC-ProfilesDB
    SC_CatDB
    SC-StrProfiles
    KeyboardDB

Regarding startup profile display, I like the option to show the display for .5 sec's, 1 sec, 2 sec's and only display the current profile name or option to not show startup profile name.
    See the post above but there can be upto 22 profiles active at any point in time.

Thanks,

Jeff
  3.    #323  
    Quote Originally Posted by Moroner
    I still have the same problems with 0.9.19 as with 0.9.17 (see above). I now noticed that when the key light hotkey is disabled, and I enter SC-Hotkey, it becomes enabled again.
    What becomes enabled? The HotKey or the Keyboard light? The light will either light or not light based on the indicator in the lower right of the screen on the main page. It should however restore the KB state to what is was when you leave SC.

Regarding the power up status window, I find it to be in the way, and I have disabled it again. It would be nice, however, if I could launch the status screen from the profile selection dialog. I do not know whether this is possible with the architecture you have choosen, but I would definitely prefer this to dedicating a third hotkey to SC.
    So you would rather launch SC to find out the current state of profiles? What is wrong with a 3rd HotKey? I already have 4 possible Hotkeys to choose from and only 2 are being used.

If the profile dialog could also show whether any calendar commands/time profiles are active, and so tell me whether or not the status scrreen has interesting information or not, then that would be the icing on the cake. It could be as simple as putting an asterix behind the status caption.
    Help me understand. By the profile dialog are you talking about the main page of SC? I'm a little lost with the terms we are both using.

Jeff
  4.    #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zenni
    I'm new to the Treo 650, new to this thread and I happily discovered this wonderful software few hours ago, then sorry if I'm repeating something said in this long thread. I'm Italian: please sorry for my English.
    Welcome!!!!

My two cents:

- About profile display, it would be great to have just an icon in the Phone application (for example in the left corner, near the sms or voicemail icon) that explains the active profile, like in cellular phones.It isn't annoying and help the user to remember what kind of profile is currently set.
    Maybe this is already possibile, but I don't know how to display it: I'm working on the software since few hours.
    I can not control anything inside of the phone application unfortunately. Other 3rd party applications can show this though. The one that I will be integrated with is 2Day.

- In Phone Technician is possible to set a number of vibrations not depending on the rings: for example, for an incoming sms, two rings and three vibrations. This is a nice feature, because in mute mode a single vibration usually isn't enough to notify an incoming sm. What do you think about this feature?

Best
    Stefano
    3rd party apps have full control over what vibrate conditions they apply. SC could do this but this will cause conflicts with other 3rd party software. Meaning that you might get *many* vibrates because each app will not know about the other and each be doing its own alert indication. Does this make sense?

Jeff
  5.    #325  
    New build posted that takes care of a few remaining problems with profile execution. Also corrects some incorrect display of information in the Status Window.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson

3rd party apps have full control over what vibrate conditions they apply. SC could do this but this will cause conflicts with other 3rd party software. Meaning that you might get *many* vibrates because each app will not know about the other and each be doing its own alert indication. Does this make sense?

Jeff
    Dear Jeff,
    thank for your quick reply. I was thinking about more (or less) vibrations only for the phone side of the software. For example, in my Nokia 6310i when I set a Silent profile, the SMS notification has, by default, three vibrations instead of the usual two. This makes sense when I'm in a train or at a reunion and the phone is in my pocket, where is not always easy to "feel" one or two vibrations. In general, Treo has a weaker vibration than the mobile phones, so more vibrations, IMHO, are welcomed also in very noisy enviroments. And I'm not deaf: I'm a professional musicologist

By the way, I want add that I'm also trying Profiler for 650 and let me say that your software is far superior: never had a reset. Already deleted Profiler... Thanks you for your work.
    Stefano
  7.    #327  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zenni
    Dear Jeff,
    thank for your quick reply. I was thinking about more (or less) vibrations only for the phone side of the software. For example, in my Nokia 6310i when I set a Silent profile, the SMS notification has, by default, three vibrations instead of the usual two. This makes sense when I'm in a train or at a reunion and the phone is in my pocket, where is not always easy to "feel" one or two vibrations. In general, Treo has a weaker vibration than the mobile phones, so more vibrations, IMHO, are welcomed also in very noisy enviroments. And I'm not deaf: I'm a professional musicologist

By the way, I want add that I'm also trying Profiler for 650 and let me say that your software is far superior: never had a reset. Already deleted Profiler... Thanks you for your work.
    Stefano
    So would you only be using ScheduleCare to manage vibration settings for phone events? If this is the case, I can look into doing this type of feature addition. I am just fearful that people will get multiple utilities producing vibrate indications. I will put this on the list of feature requests.

I appreciate the good words! I am trying to make this program the *best* profile application the Treo world has ever seen.

Jeff
    So would you only be using ScheduleCare to manage vibration settings for phone events? If this is the case, I can look into doing this type of feature addition. I am just fearful that people will get multiple utilities producing vibrate indications. I will put this on the list of feature requests.

Jeff
    Exactly! My idea is that if SC has a good vibration manager, this means that the user no more need of multiple utilities to set vibrations.
    Best
    Stefano
    Hi Jeff -- I wanted to pass along an update and ask a question

Treo 600 and SC 0.9.20

Update is: I'm using the 600 and I do not have any issue with resets during timed profiles. (I'm also only using SC for sound and vibration control--I have no use at the moment for radio on-off or screen lighting contol associated with profiles) That said, I'm not currently experiencing any of the problems rengelman identified.

Question: I'm not sure if the following is a feature or a bug... In summary, do Manual profiles override timed profiles or the other way around.... If I set a manual profile with certain sound settings as unlimited, should those sound settings stay in the manual setting forever or only until those settings were next supposed to be written by a new timed profile???

[updated example after additional testing--next timed profile overrides duration of manual profile for only those attributes which will be changed by the next timed profile]

Confused? Here's an example.... When I implement an 'unlimited' duration manual profile called "Sounds Off-Vib only" on top of a timed profile called "Day-Work" (all my profiles allow nesting), the SC status screen reflects '12/31/05 11:59pm---aka unlimited' as the manual profile expiration time for ONLY those attributes which would not be set by the next timed profile called 'evening' which would begin at 10pm. For the other attributes (the ones which are scheduled to be modified by 'evening', the status screen reflects the "Sounds Off-Vib only (manual)" settings and profile ownership correctly, but the expiration time is not 12/31 11:59 but rather the original time 'Evening' was set to begin (today at 10pm)? Again, if "timed" overrides "manual" (i.e. this is a feature) then this would be the way things should work, but I didn't think that was how SC was supposed to work? That manual profiles such as "Movies" can be set as indefinite and stay in effect until they are stopped. Thanks again for your continued support.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 03/29/2005 at 09:07 PM. Reason: clarity
    Well any touch of the screen will timeout the window and you can hit the OK button to clear.

What I am finding though is that with this popup configured, my Treo is waking up and staying awake when it is not supposed to. Very annoying and I so far can not figure out how to stop this behavior.
    Well, yes, but it would still be easier to NOT have to manually clear the screen, and a brief display wouldn't impact other apps greatly. Have you looked at Milan's Profiles app? It has an option to set the notification on a profile by profile basis. The notification is a brief pop-up that lasts for only a second or two. I never noticed any significant problems with other apps. And it was simpler than having to tap a button to clear the display.

So far, I haven't noticed my phone waking up when not supposed to, but I haven't used the notifier much--the current version is too obtrusive.

Well there could be upto 22 profiles active depending on how people have used nesting.
    Hadn't really thought about that. I can see that would make having the notifier screen identify a specific profile a problem. But SC could still do a brief popup that indicates one or more profiles are active. Maybe it could even display how many profiles are active--but that's not really important to me.

What about non-visual identifiers? LED flash or vibrate? This would be a much easier and "safer" thing to implement.

Jeff
    A combination of the vibrate and the LED would probably work for me. The real key, to me, is that the phone let me know that something other than my "normal" configuration has been set, without making me take action (either to see that a profile is set or to clear the notification). Without the notification, it's too easy (at least for my pea-brain) to set a profile and then go for hours without remembering to stop that profile. I've missed calls because I set the mute switch on the 650 to silent, and forgot to set it back.
    I don't want the same thing to happen when I set a profile.

In general, though, this app is great. I need to find a little more time to play with some of the options to figure them out. Thanks for all the hard work.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  11.    #331  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj
    Hi Jeff -- I wanted to pass along an update and ask a question

Treo 600 and SC 0.9.20

Update is: I'm using the 600 and I do not have any issue with resets during timed profiles. (I'm also only using SC for sound and vibration control--I have no use at the moment for radio on-off or screen lighting contol associated with profiles) That said, I'm not currently experiencing any of the problems rengelman identified.
    Thanks for the update. Xathros did some detailed testing for me on the 600 tonight and found that the problem lies in the keyboard light function. I will fix this very soon. So if you stay away from that function all is fine.

Question: I'm not sure if the following is a feature or a bug... In summary, do Manual profiles override timed profiles or the other way around.... If I set a manual profile with certain sound settings as unlimited, should those sound settings stay in the manual setting forever or only until those settings were next supposed to be written by a new timed profile???
    Well here are the rules:

All profiles control the state of the commands that are in their profile by the 3 rules in the options tab for each profile. When a profile is active, its rules govern all subsequent command executions. This holds true for everything BUT manual profiles. When a manual profile executes its commands *will* execute. Meaning that it will override all rule sets that are in place for all active profiles (and calendar commands). But once the manual profile is running, its 3 rules in the Options tab will govern subsequent executions. So if you have the rules set to allow profile nesting and/or calendar commands, this manual profile's settings can be changed by future profiles and/or calenar commands. Likewise, if you do not allow profile nesting and/or calendar commands, this manual profile's settings will remain in effect until the profile times out or you manually stop it.

The other rule is that there can be multiple timed profiles active at the same time but *only* ONE manual profile may be active at any point in time.

[updated example after additional testing--next timed profile overrides duration of manual profile for only those attributes which will be changed by the next timed profile]

Confused? Here's an example.... When I implement an 'unlimited' duration manual profile called "Sounds Off-Vib only" on top of a timed profile called "Day-Work" (all my profiles allow nesting), the SC status screen reflects '12/31/05 11:59pm---aka unlimited' as the manual profile expiration time for ONLY those attributes which would not be set by the next timed profile called 'evening' which would begin at 10pm. For the other attributes (the ones which are scheduled to be modified by 'evening', the status screen reflects the "Sounds Off-Vib only (manual)" settings and profile ownership correctly, but the expiration time is not 12/31 11:59 but rather the original time 'Evening' was set to begin (today at 10pm)? Again, if "timed" overrides "manual" (i.e. this is a feature) then this would be the way things should work, but I didn't think that was how SC was supposed to work? That manual profiles such as "Movies" can be set as indefinite and stay in effect until they are stopped. Thanks again for your continued support.
    That is the right behavior since you have enabled nesting in your manual profiles. I use manual profiles with the definition: If I execute a manual profile, I want the settings in the manual profile to absolutely override all current settings and I want the profile to remain in effect until I tell it to stop.

For example, if I have a day profile that turns on all sounds to max, etc.... Then I go into a meeting and manuall trigger a manual profile to silence all sounds. During the meeting a Lunch profile is supposed to execute that will adjust the ringer to mid level for the phone and SMS. I do not want this to happen right? I am still in my meeting and do not want sounds re-enabled. So to stop this lunch profile from changing my configuration, I need to have the manual profile's Nesting Rule disabled.

Does this help?

I know this is all happening very quickly and that docs are very much needed. They will be coming soon. So until they get here, please keep asking questions. Don't sit there and get frustrated!

Jeff
  12.    #332  
    Here is an implementation quesiton for all:

Which of the following would you want a profile to do when they detect a BlueTooth device?

1. Ignore all devices that don't have a trusted relationship with this 650
    2. Accept all devices and allow profiles to execute based on "Any" BT device
    3. Allow profiles to execute only with devices that have a pairing setup on this 650
    Once a device is detected and that device matches a profile that has this BT devices name assigned to the profile:

1. The assigned profile should prompt the user for permission to execute
    2. The assigned profile should automatically execute based on the devices detection.
    3. When the user moves out of range of the BT device, should the profile automatically stop the profile?
      When the user moves out of range of the BT device, should the profile prompt the user for permission to stop?

These are some of the implementation criteria that I need to have before I code up this part of the solution. Right now I have the code running that can detect BT devices and grab their textual names. So what this means is that you will be able to create a "location" profile based on BT device names. So basically you will be able to create a profile that has a BT name attached to it. Then when that BT device is detected, this profile can execute and configure your Treo based on that BlueTooth device. So in most cases this means "location" right? In other words, you detected your computer at home or at work. Or you detected your car. But this also means that you can detect your headset or speakerphone. I think this will be a truely awesome feature. I need ideas though before I get too deep into development so I don't ahve to backtrack or make "patches" to add functionality people might want.

Also is location the right term for this type of profile? Or should I call it a Device profile or simply a BlueTooth Profile?

Do you want the ability to only detect based on BT names that are trusted or do you additionally want the ability to trigger a profile based on BT device type: computer, Headset, car, speakerphone, etc......

Its all fair game at this point.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

I tried sending you a private message, but your mailbox is full....

Due to some recent family matters, I'm afraid I won't be able to work on the documentation for SCII.

I'm sorry I won't be able to help you with this!

-Jennie

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
  14.    #334  
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    Hi Jeff,

I tried sending you a private message, but your mailbox is full....

Due to some recent family matters, I'm afraid I won't be able to work on the documentation for SCII.

-Jennie

I am very sorry to hear this! I hope everything is OK at home. That is what is really important! Please stay in touch and you are still entitled to a license key for PII.

Jeff
    What becomes enabled? The HotKey or the Keyboard light?
    The hotkey becomes enabled again.
    Help me understand. By the profile dialog are you talking about the main page of SC? I'm a little lost with the terms we are both using.
    I am sorry for the confusion. I meant the dialog box that pops up if you press the profiles hot key. What name do you use for it?
    Here is an implementation quesiton for all:

Which of the following would you want a profile to do when they detect a BlueTooth device?

1. Ignore all devices that don't have a trusted relationship with this 650
    2. Accept all devices and allow profiles to execute based on "Any" BT device
    3. Allow profiles to execute only with devices that have a pairing setup on this 650
    Aren't 1 and 3 really the same condition ? I think the more powerful #2 is a good choice as it leaves it up to me to decide whether an untrusted device does anything or not. Maybe there should be a hardcoded device name of "Untrusted" or "Unknown" that covers all unpaired devices. It would be nice if SC could be configured to Alert on detection of an unknown BT device (or all BT Devices) but not necessarily exec a profile. Kinda like the service tone function in the phone.
    Once a device is detected and that device matches a profile that has this BT devices name assigned to the profile:

1. The assigned profile should prompt the user for permission to execute
    2. The assigned profile should automatically execute based on the devices detection.
    3. When the user moves out of range of the BT device, should the profile automatically stop the profile?
    This should be user configurable on a device by device basis. when *my* carkit is detected, it should autoexecute my driving profile. When another carkit is detected, it should prompt as I don't know whether I'm driving or a passenger in that condition. The prompt should have a configurable timeout and configurable "NoAnswer" default. Meaning, if I dont respond to the prompt: Do Not Exec or Go ahead and exec. When my work or home PC's are detected I may not want to exec a profile as I move in and out of range of those devices quite often and that would cause many profile swaps during the day.

When the user moves out of range of the BT device, should the profile prompt the user for permission to stop?
    Same as above. User configurable based on device name.

These are some of the implementation criteria that I need to have before I code up this part of the solution. Right now I have the code running that can detect BT devices and grab their textual names. So what this means is that you will be able to create a "location" profile based on BT device names. So basically you will be able to create a profile that has a BT name attached to it. Then when that BT device is detected, this profile can execute and configure your Treo based on that BlueTooth device. So in most cases this means "location" right? In other words, you detected your computer at home or at work. Or you detected your car. But this also means that you can detect your headset or speakerphone. I think this will be a truely awesome feature. I need ideas though before I get too deep into development so I don't ahve to backtrack or make "patches" to add functionality people might want.

Also is location the right term for this type of profile? Or should I call it a Device profile or simply a BlueTooth Profile?
    I think BT may only be a part of the story here. Maybe "Environmental" profiles would be a better term. Could we add the ability to detect power connection, cradle connection and BT to an SCenv module that would determine the current environment and hand that off to the profile engine ? This way we could say, keep screen on if connected to power or sync when in my cradle or configure for driving when BT carkit detected ? Could environment also work in conjunction with time ? so I might have a Daytime Driving and a Nighttime Driving profile that are similar conditions but screen very dim at night ?

Do you want the ability to only detect based on BT names that are trusted or do you additionally want the ability to trigger a profile based on BT device type: computer, Headset, car, speakerphone, etc......
    The more control and options here, the better.

I'm thinking the BT/Env detection could be split into another module, kinda like SCKey was for handling hot keys. This way the whole thing is optional. If a user doesn't want this ability, dont install SCEnv. SCEnv would only allow selection of profiles that have the "Environtment" flag set in the profile manager to assign to different environmental conditions such as power, cradle or BT device detection.

On that note, Should the HotKey choices be moved from the SC Global ops screen into SCKey instead ? Reason here is: If SCKey is not installed then the hot key stuff doesn't work and does not need to be displayed to the user. also somewhat related to that: Currently, Double Side button is available for selection on the T600 but is useless on the 600 - is that something that can be hidden when running on a 600 ?

Hope this all makes sense. I'm still about 8oz. of caffinated beverage shy of fully functional this morning...

If I get a chance today, I'll mockup a screen or two to try to illustrate my thoughts here.

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 03/30/2005 at 07:51 AM.
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tanster

Tanster-

Sorry to hear this.

You did a wonderful job on the Phase I docs. Your contribution to phase II will be missed.

I hope everything works out for you. It's been a pleasure. Take care and good luck.

-X
    Xathros

Jeff

Thanks very much for the great explanation. It's now crystal clear. I honestly have read (skimmed in some cases) all 17 pages of this post and I was just beginning to grasp the 'nested' thing (and the unlimited flexibility it provides us) So, the concept of 'unlimited duration nest-able manual override profiles' was just a little much for my brqin to handle as I tried to struggle through work yesterday (while tinkering with SC along the way)! Your answer was worded perfectly. Sorry if I missed it in those first 16 pages.

Thanks again and I'll continue to provide feedback for us 600 users going forward.
    Startup Splash Screen Ideas:

I'm thinking that the startup splash screen could be modified into a 2 screen approach. First screen would be a simple large font ID of the active profile and duration with a user configureable timeout. Top 2/3 of the screen if touched would dismiss the screen before the timeout expires bottom third of screen should be 2 large (fingerable) buttons that launch the current detailed status screen without a timeout and the profile select screen for changing/stopping the current profile.

This way there is quick easy profile ID and dismiss and easy access to the details and ability to change the current profile when desired. I would also like the ability to assign a hot key to bring up the status on demand. This of course would be optional for those of us that want it and have a free key combo available to use it. I like the idea that the PowerOnScreen does not show if there is no active profile.

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

-X
    Last edited by Xathros; 03/30/2005 at 12:24 PM.
    Xathros

Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Startup Splash Screen Ideas:

I'm thinking that the startup splash screen could be modified into a 2 screen approach. First screen would be a simple large font ID of the active profile and duration with a user configureable timeout. Top 2/3 of the screen if touched would dismiss the screen before the timeout expires bottom third of screen should be 2 large (fingerable) buttons that launch the current detailed status screen without a timeout and the profile select screen for changing/stopping the current profile.

This way there is quick easy profile ID and dismiss and easy access to the details and ability to change the current profile when desired. I would also like the ability to assign a hot key to bring up the status on demand. This of course would be optional for those of us that want it and have a free key combo available to use it. I like the idea that the PowerOnScreen does not show if there is no active profile.

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

-X
    That would work for me. I don't know how complicated it might be to implement, however.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.