1.    #1  
    Is the phone number in the SIM? I ask because I wonder if I could get one device for two purpose - home and work. I could unplug the work SIM and plug in the home SIM after work, letting all calls go to voice mail fopr the "inactive" SIM. Is this even possible?
    Last edited by westronic; 02/04/2005 at 07:21 PM.
    uh? home SIM? what do you mean by that

SIM, its abbreviation itself is Subscriber Identification Module *if am not mistaken*
    basically it stores the info about your cell #, phonebook *if you ever save your friends # in the sim card instead of phone*

yup, you could do that
    You could do that, but SIM cards are not really designed to be swapped on a daily basis. You have to open the cover, remove the battery, and slide the SIM in and out. Doing it a couple of times here and there is no big deal, but doing it daily could cause some of those parts to wear and/or break.
  4.    #4  
    Cool. By "home SIM" I mean one purchased for my own use, by "work SIM" I mean one with a phone plan paid for by work. I was tyring to find out if I could get one device to do double-duty, and it sounds like I can - at least technically. Whether I could get Cingular to do this is another question entirely. I guess first I'd need them to unlock my phone (after I buy it!).

This way, I could use one device for all my needs, both personal and business.

Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    uh? home SIM? what do you mean by that

SIM, its abbreviation itself is Subscriber Identification Module *if am not mistaken*
    basically it stores the info about your cell #, phonebook *if you ever save your friends # in the sim card instead of phone*

yup, you could do that
  5.    #5  
    Oh, maybe this is not a good idea, then.

Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    You could do that, but SIM cards are not really designed to be swapped on a daily basis. You have to open the cover, remove the battery, and slide the SIM in and out. Doing it a couple of times here and there is no big deal, but doing it daily could cause some of those parts to wear and/or break.
    when call filter & new profile app is realesed... you can filter calls as to what profile set for... like u can have work profile that sends all personal & "junk" calls to voicemail.. & home profile that does same for work related calls.
    hope jeff & rob get together & make this happen for 650!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    You can absolutely swap sims as much as you like. I have a Treo 600, 650 on the way, an SE T610, T39M and a Sierra wireless aircard. I often change devices every day, depending on what I'm doing and what my communication needs are. However, you really don't two Sims to have two separate lines. Usually a carrier will let you establish two lines on one sim. What carrier do you use now?
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    You should be fine swapping SIM's, may result in slight wear of SIM holder but that will be it. Have had my 600 a year and due to my work have had my SIM in few hundred other phones in that time, never had a problem with removing SIM a few times a day.
    You might do some checking i know a while back the made dual SIM holders for Nokia's and some other phones. Not quite sure how they worked and what not but it might be worth looking in to.

Did some quick searching and yes the do make such a device. Also it looks like its mostly sold by companies in Asia and the UK.

Picture of one below.
    rj
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rjflyn; 02/04/2005 at 08:58 AM.
    Also you don't need to get cingular to unlock your phone if both your "home sim" and your "work sim" are cingular. Locking prevents the phone from accepting SIMs from other carriers. As long as both your SIM cards are from from cingular it'll work fine.
  11.    #11  
    Hmmm this "twin sim" thing looks promising. It looks like this would work provided the SIM card is not a 3G (USIM) card. Is that what we are dealing with here?

I found one that works with the Treo 600, so I imagine the Treo 650 would be the same (well, I hope). Turn the phone on, and one SIM is active, turn it off and on again and the other on is active. Very slick.
    Last edited by westronic; 02/04/2005 at 06:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    Hmmm this "twin sim" thing looks promising. It looks like this would work provided the SIM card is not a 3G (USIM) card. Is that what we are dealing with here?

I found one that works with the Treo 600, so I imagine the Treo 650 would be the same (well, I hope). Turn the phone on, and one SIM is active, turn it off and on again and the other on is active. Very slick.
    What is the dual SIM holder that works with the Treo 600? I'd like to get one.
    Thx.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Do more searching, I dont have the time right now or I would look it up for you. It takes some equipment and a bit of a learning curve if you have not done it before, but you can copy information from two sims onto one single sim. Then when you power on the phone you can choose which "sim" or phone line, for lack of a better term, that you want to use. When you want to switch you just power off and back on and choose the other. From what I have read it is completely legal. Anyway, try a search on the web and you should be able to find some information. I am looking to go that way at some point, but until then yes... you can swap sims.

- E44