1.    #1  
    On my old Kyocera 7135 Palmphone there was a PHONE option to "KEEP BACKLIGHT ON WHILE CHARGING" as well as not time out the screen display while charging. When the phone was in the sync cradle or on the charger the screen would stay lit with my clock program running on it.

For one thing, it made a great travel alarm clock. It was always lit at night (like a nitelight in a dark hotel room). It also made a great flashlight.

Symbian (Nokia 6620) had a program called FLASHLIGHT which also left the backlight on if enabled.

Is there any sort of software for the 650 (or 600 I suppose) that could do that?
    OnCradleOn works great on the 650. And it's free!

tanster
    Treo 650 on Sprint, as of 11/18/04!
    To transfer data from your current Palm device to the Treo 650, click here.
    To see my Treo 650 pics, click here.
  3.    #3  
    That is SO PERFECT! Thanks!

Ed

Now if they only ship the cradle!

Quote Originally Posted by tanster
    OnCradleOn works great on the 650. And it's free!

I'll put a plug in here for CradleCare. It does what OnCradleOn does but you can also specify a time range for the screen to stay on. Nice to not have the display on while you are sleeping. CradleCare will allow you to only have the display turned on during business hours Mon-Fri if you like (or any other combination). CC will also do many other very unique things and works well on the Treo 600 and Treo 650.

Jeff
  5.    #5  
    Is it free? Where can you find it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I'll put a plug in here for CradleCare. It does what OnCradleOn does but you can also specify a time range for the screen to stay on. Nice to not have the display on while you are sleeping. CradleCare will allow you to only have the display turned on during business hours Mon-Fri if you like (or any other combination). CC will also do many other very unique things and works well on the Treo 600 and Treo 650.

Jeff
  6.    #6  
    Jeff ... I see why you recommend it.

The "buy" link doesn't work ... just get a blank white page
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Jeff ... I see why you recommend it.

The "buy" link doesn't work ... just get a blank white page
    Here are a couple of links:

TreoCentral Forum for CradleCare
    [font="Times]Handango Link[/font]

Hope this helps.

Jeff

has anyone reported image burn in on their screen by leaving it on for so long... I bet cumulative burn is possible on treo just like any LCD, albeit takes longer.
  9.    #9  
    Can't say on a 650, but I left the backlight on my Kyo 7135 Palmphone 8-10 hrs a day for over a year (same size screen as the 650) while in it's cradle with a BIG clock on it with bright white backgound and BLACK numbers the full size of the screen with no problems. It's res was 160x160 vs 320x320 but that shouldn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    has anyone reported image burn in on their screen by leaving it on for so long... I bet cumulative burn is possible on treo just like any LCD, albeit takes longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    I created a program called ScreenCare partly for that purpose. Here is a link to the program and also a published article talking about the "possibility" of screen burn on LCD screens. On the other side, ScreenCare gives you the ability to have *fun* things happen to your screen while it is setting there turned on. It will also give you some very nice phone functions.

ScreenCare here at TreoCentral

Jeff
  11.    #11  
    Why would someone want to leave their screen ON (presumably to have an APP showing on the screen) but have it covered with a screensaver? I guess there must be some reason.

BTW, tried your CradleCare .... very nice. Tried to purchase it but they rejected my credit card... actually 2 different cards. I will try again later.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I created a program called ScreenCare partly for that purpose. Here is a link to the program and also a published article talking about the "possibility" of screen burn on LCD screens. On the other side, ScreenCare gives you the ability to have *fun* things happen to your screen while it is setting there turned on. It will also give you some very nice phone functions.

ScreenCare here at TreoCentral

Jeff
    Really poor service at Handango - Have used Handango for years - But Never Again!! I did a search for Card Export on their site, purchased the program but when I loaded it on my 650, I realized it was not Card Export II. When I requested a refund, they basically said it was my problem. This comes from the company that does not give you access to your frequent buyer points for 30 days - "because of potential refunds" - what a rip-off. I will take my money (between mine & my wife's loaded Clies and 650s - were not talking chump change) to PalmGear!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Why would someone want to leave their screen ON (presumably to have an APP showing on the screen) but have it covered with a screensaver? I guess there must be some reason.

BTW, tried your CradleCare .... very nice. Tried to purchase it but they rejected my credit card... actually 2 different cards. I will try again later.
    Well there are a couple of reasons. One the resolution on the 650 is *so* nice that people wanted to show off their device by displaying very nice looking images (either ones from the camera or those gotten from the web). ScreenCare also has 2 different modes. Picture screen saving and applicaiton screensaving. In applicaiton screensaving, you still see the application but different "things" happen to the application like bugs eating the screen, disolving effects or custom icons of your choosing bouncing around on the screen. Both modes keep the screen active just like a screensaver and also allows you to have some fun with your device.

Each mode has the option of launching your favorite application after periods of inactivity. This is nice if you bounce between applications but would always like the 2Day screen displayed (for example).

There is also a mode where the screen will blank out when you are on a phone call but still allows you to use the volume keys to adjust the phone's volume. This is a battery saving feature. The same feature is true for those who use pTunes.

Jeff