1.    #1  
    Has anyone succesfully gotten the Showtimes perl script to work on their Mac?

I've downloaded and configured everything, but the perlscript hangs when looking for the UserAgent.pl file. It's there...but it is not identified as a MacPerl script. Is that the problem?

Alternatively, is Avantgo a better solution to getting movie times on my Visor?

Hollywood.com on avantgo works great everytime!
  3.    #3  
    I checked out Hollywood.com, but wasn't too impressed...it doesn't list movies by location.

Can I use Yahoo Movies on Avantgo?

Heck yes you can use yahoo movies with avantgo! Virtually any website that doesn't require you to log in can be downloaded. Point your web browser to the website, browse down to where you want to start downloading, then save that URL and set it up as a custom URL in avantgo. I only do it for one theater, but all I have is a custom channel with the follwoing URL:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/showtimes/sh...Info=Showtimes

Then you can tell the channel how many sub levels to download. I've download web-based bulletin boards all the time, and just this morning downloaded a portion of an online catalog.

Avantgo is SO cool...just wish I had more download space....

Steve
    If you're in NYC, check out vindigo (available at vindigo.com) for restaurants, movie times, and a bunch more.

I'm NOT in NYC, but was there this weekend and I'm looking forward to vindigo's promised expansion to other cities. You can enter your email address at vindigo to be notified when vindigo hits your area.
  6.    #6  
    Well, I looked at Hollywood.com and Realcities.com for Avantgo movie listing channels.

Hollywood.com only lists a small area...not to thorough. The realcities lists a much larger area, but does it by listing ALL movies in a LONG list of multiple pages. This is just annoying.

So, I'm trying to get the Yahoo movies page to load through Avantgo, but I get a "this channel to big to transger" error. The page is only 84K...so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I like the Yahoo page as it shows the movies BY THEATER rather than just a long list of movies...although it also includes all of the miscellaneus theaters like the planetarium and the Zoo (so if there are any other movie-lisitn gsite suggestion, please let me know!)

mctague,
    actually you might be able to download a website that requires a password. I've done it with a company site of mine. You have to log in and go to the page you want to make into a channel and find the correct URL (I did it by following dennisl's advice and right clicking on the frame I wanted to access to get the URL under 'properties'.). Now I daily download my nationwide scheduling info for my business and have access to it all day long. Very convenient. You can also access links by customizing your settings.
    I'd like to know if this is possible for anybody else.
    Michael
  8. Ash
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I've used Showtimes extensively on my Mac. I think it is a great program. The AvantGo options I saw didn't look nearly as useful.

If you have MacPerl installed and are using the Mac version of the Showtimes script with a properly configured getdata.cfg file then it should work. Let me know if I can be of any help in getting things working. The author of Showtimes is also very good about helping users. I had some trouble getting it to work early on (I was one of the first Mac users of Showtimes) and after sending him some files and error reports he fixed the problems very quickly.

I suggest sending the program's author (Robert J. Ray) a quick e-mail and maybe he could provide you with some help. I had trouble with the perl script (although it was for a PC) and he was able to point me in the right direction. Also he has a version which has a conduit as well and provides excellent Hot Syncing capabilities.