1.    #1  
    First, let me say that the recent graphical improvements truly make using Chatter infinitely easier.

The most important features which I think are missing:

1) Save messages to card. I know Marc has said that this should happen sometime in the next few months. I'd like to believe that the messages will be saved in a standard (non-Palm propreitary) format.

2) Attachment support. I think it's very important to be able to attach any file from anywhere in RAM or on the SD. Ditto for saving incoming attachments to the card or to RAM.

3) An option to shut down Chatter and have the app run properly with PowerRun. With messages saved to card, and the app on the card, there would be no footprint when not using the app. I understand you'll lose the IDLE capability, which is one of Chatter's strong points, so this is at the bottom of my list.

With these changes, I think this app will be close to perfect and will cement its place atop all Palm OS email apps.
    Last edited by skfny; 02/03/2005 at 02:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    First, let me say that the recent graphical improvements truly make using Chatter infinitely easier.

The most important features which I think are missing:

1) Save messages to card. I know Marc has said that this should happen sometime in the next few months. I'd like to believe that the messages will be saved in a standard (non-Palm propreitary) format.

2) Attachment support. I think it's very important to be able to attach any file from anywhere in RAM or on the SD. Ditto for saving incoming attachments to the card or to RAM.

3) An option to shut down Chatter and have the app run properly with PowerRun. With messages saved to card, and the app on the card, there would be no footprint when not using the app. I understand you'll lose the IDLE capability, which is one of Chatter's strong points, so this is at the bottom of my list.

With these changes, I think this app will be close to perfect and will cement its place atop all Palm OS email apps.

No, no, no, we must have better notification options first! :-)
    toker - Like what?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    toker - Like what?

Marc

The nudge doesn't seem to work Example...

I have Inbox (all my mail goes here) with tone set to none. Then I have (Inbox\Notifications) with a tone set. Then I have nugde enabled for tone. The nudge doesn't happen for notifications.

Basically I need my notification folder to tone and nudge but nothing else. Am I doing something wrong?
  5.    #5  
    toker - Like what?

Marc
    Marc,

I assume that the other features are on your long-term horizon, and that you're dealing with other issues right now. Can you give any estimates as to when attachment support might be introduced?
    toker - Like what?

Marc
    What about profiles based on whether the sound switch is on or off. I probably use the sound switch differently than most people. When the sound is "ON", messaging/phone/general notifications all vibrate. No tones. When sound is "OFF", there is no vibration and no tone. ChatterMail notifications can't be changed simply by flipping the switch. I would have to open up the Notification Prefs and uncheck them all. Might be nice to set up different profiles, each with options for sound, vib, LED, etc. And be able to assign profiles to the sound on/off switch. That way, I could have a "Silent" profile assigned to the off position and a "Vib Only" profile assigned to the on position.
    skfny - I think you can attach any file from RAM at this point, no? At the very least, from the app that "created" the file. So you're talking mostly about SD support, I assume. I'd say a few weeks.

Marc
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Marc. Looking forward to the change.
    It would also be nice to 'Save all' attachments to card when there are multiple attachments.
    Hi,

I've been testing Chatter out extensively last night and so far REALLY like it (coming from Snapper), but there's one thing which is a little unclear to me re: attachments. I need to send and receive alot of .doc files (MS Word), but I can't seem to find out how to send those. There's no option for DocsToGo in the attachment box when I'm creating a new email and from within the Documents application I get a 'Application Missing: The application to open this type of document could not be found'. I have moved most of the DocsToGo application to my SD card by using the DXTG Tech Tool (http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13105). When I move all DXTG apps back to the handheld I'm able to send to Chatter from within DocsToGo (but I'm left with almost no RAM, thanks palmOne). What files need to be in RAM to get DXTG playing nicely with Chatter?
    - always ill, but highly intelligent -
    webmaster Palmclub.nl
    djr - I hope somebody here can answer this. My understanding is that DTG needs to be in RAM to work as an attachment sender. Does it work, by the way, to use DTG to initiate the attachment (use the "Send" option and select "Chatter" as the application; this probably will work).

Marc
    Hi Marc,

Yes, that works; provided DXTG is in RAM (and only then). I was hoping to move the larger portion of DXTG to CARD and leave enough in RAM to have send/receive of native .doc files working with Chatter.
    webmaster Palmclub.nl
    djr - I hope somebody here can answer this.
    I have a similar situation and have been able to attach files from DTG while keeping the majority of DTG on my memory card. Basically, you can move all of the DTG supporting applications to your card using the DXTG Tech Tool except you have to leave the following DTG components in RAM:

• DocsToGo (which is the "file browser" component of DTG) ... ~ 340Kb
    • DXTGAttachmentPlugin ... ~ 65Kb
    • DXTGMailPlugin ... ~ 10Kb

You do this by choosing "Advanced Options" from the Options menu in the Tech Tool, then choose "Manage Applications" to select which components to move to the memory card. You can move them all except the above apps, which will cost you about 400K in RAM. Not too bad, considering all of DTG takes up several megs.

Unfortunately, even then you won't be able to attach the document from within Chatter. I don't think Chatter recognizes DTG as a valid source of documents. However, you can go into the main DTG program and email the document from there (just select a doc and click on the envelope icon)... as long as Chatter is running in the background at the time, you can select it from the list of email apps and it gets attached just fine.

Good luck!
    djr -

I just replied in post #12 of this thread. Please let me know if it works for you... getting DTG to play nicely with Chatter isn't an exact science.

Jesse
    Hi jberman,

I have those in RAM, but does it also work for you in DXTG when choosing the option to 'Send as MS Word / MS Excel file' (e.g. native format)? I can't get that working, whereas the option to send as Documents To Go file (converted .pdb) works perfectly.

Thanks for the answer!
    webmaster Palmclub.nl
    Found it, thanks to jberman (who pointed me to the 'Advanced Options' for DXTG Tech Tool)
    You'll need to have WP_P2P in RAM as well (and SS_P2P for Excel and PP_P2P for Powerpoint). WP_P2P will set you back another 194k, but I can live with that. SS_P2P = 224k and PP_P2P is 37k for the folks who need those.
    webmaster Palmclub.nl
    Ahhh, cool! I didn't know about those. It seems my setup would have only worked with the converted pdb files. Thanks for that!!

Jesse
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    I've chimed in before about attachment support and I'd like to repeat the importance of it.
    I'd like attachments to be independent of other document handlers such as DTG or Quickoffice.
    I can preview attachments via DTG reader but if I want to forward the file or reattach the file without having to upgrade other software.
    Currently, I use Versamail for attachments, even Chatterlogs in the rare occasion of a crash. I can attach any file in Versamail but I hate the ugly and awkward UI.
    Last edited by puyi; 02/07/2005 at 03:45 PM.
    Ditto on wanting better attachment support. The ability to send any type of file via email is very useful. Not just photos and video.

Luke
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650