1.    #1  
    Looking to buy a PowerBook 12". Will it hotsync seemlessly with the 650? I've never used a Mac before so I want to be certain. How well does it work with the Bluetooth hotsync?

Side note...I have to run some programs that are specific to Windows. They don't have Mac software for these programs. Does Virtual PC allow me to run other Windows only software? If so, how do you load this software on the Mac and utilize it through Virtual PC?
    I have a Powerbook 12" but don't hae my T650 yet. I'm sure people will be able to report on this for you though. There is a Mac forum here. You might try there.

vPC is exactly that. It's a Windows platform running in your OSX platform. It should run most of your Windows only software. Though you might want to find forums for that specific software and double check. There's always some oddness under emulation.

I say go for it. The 12inch PB's are totally Techxy and you'll love it.
  3.    #3  
    I think this is the only Mac thread for TC, is there another? Thing that sucks about buying this is I'm not positive everything will work. I may buy it and some software that I rely on won't be compatible.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I use both a PB 12" and a Treo 650. I use Missing Sync from MarkSpace. It makes hotsyncing easy as pie especially via bluetooth. Not a problem at all. Virtual PC is not all it seems. It runs slow and the most RAM you can devote to it is 512mb and still it is slow. What are you trying to run via VPC? I found that the move to Mac requires a little work finding the programs that do on a Mac what you used to do on a Windows but well worth the switch. Check out Versiontracker.com. Other than that just ask around. You'll find a program that does what you want it to.
    I don't miss a thing about the PC.

I have three Linux boxes in my basement, that I SSH into and can do pretty much anything.

My wife has my old SONY Vaio Laptop and I still bang away on that from time to time. But mostly when she's having as problem. *winks*
  6.    #6  
    Good news regarding hotsync. Unfortunately the couple of software programs I have to use are proprietary to my business and they have no Apple alternative. Fortunately I'm not using them every day, so it would just be a few times a month. Is VPC that terrible? How much RAM do you have on yours? I was thinking of the std 512mb then upgrading with a 1gb memory for a total of 1.256 gb on Newegg.com. Cost is $185. Regarding VPC, I suppose I don't mind it dragging a little bit since I wouldn't have to rely on it daily.

Quote Originally Posted by emtkopan
    I use both a PB 12" and a Treo 650. I use Missing Sync from MarkSpace. It makes hotsyncing easy as pie especially via bluetooth. Not a problem at all. Virtual PC is not all it seems. It runs slow and the most RAM you can devote to it is 512mb and still it is slow. What are you trying to run via VPC? I found that the move to Mac requires a little work finding the programs that do on a Mac what you used to do on a Windows but well worth the switch. Check out Versiontracker.com. Other than that just ask around. You'll find a program that does what you want it to.
    You could also possibly VNC into a PC somewhere else to get your work done. Perhaps a work PC or something?

Just a thought.

I've not used VPC since System7, so I can't say how the performance is.
    I use a 17" Powerbook 1.33GHz and my Treo 650 works like a charm. There are a few handy utilities you might consider to streamline things.

Apple offers a free iSync conduit so you can sync up iCal and Address Book. Works great, with some limitations. Missing Sync is also popular, but unnecessary from my PoV with the iSync conduit.

VirtualPC is good for the basics, sketchy for anything beyond that. Not recommended.

If you already have a PC in your house, you could also try Remote Desktop Connection for Mac OS X from Microsoft's Mac unit, Mactopia.com. Allows for remote login on any Windows machine via its name or IP address. I've been able to sit on my patio with the powerbook and run Visio via RDC. Nice!

Hope this helps,
    -Atomick
  9.    #9  
    I'm so used to the desktop version Palm software, does that work on the Mac? Does Palm offer Mac desktop software?

Quote Originally Posted by atomick
    I use a 17" Powerbook 1.33GHz and my Treo 650 works like a charm. There are a few handy utilities you might consider to streamline things.

Apple offers a free iSync conduit so you can sync up iCal and Address Book. Works great, with some limitations. Missing Sync is also popular, but unnecessary from my PoV with the iSync conduit.

VirtualPC is good for the basics, sketchy for anything beyond that. Not recommended.

If you already have a PC in your house, you could also try Remote Desktop Connection for Mac OS X from Microsoft's Mac unit, Mactopia.com. Allows for remote login on any Windows machine via its name or IP address. I've been able to sit on my patio with the powerbook and run Visio via RDC. Nice!

Hope this helps,
    -Atomick
    palm does offer desktop software for the mac. it even comes on the cd. regarding virtual pc, it is a pretty good alternative for low intensity apps. i would not want to use it for gaming or anything like that.

also, if you use vpc and windows xp, i suggest turning off all of the eye-candy and disabling as many services as you can. the real limitation of the powerbook is the amount of vram and the graphics card. i run vpc on my 12" powerbook and it works well enough like this.

remote desktop from microsoft for the mac is a great alternative. i use it from my mac to control pc's at various locations through a vpn. it works great.

hope that helps.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I use VPC 7. I have 1.25gb of RAM and have devoted 512mb to VPC. It depends on what program you use on it, some memory intensive programs will quit on you or worse case cause VPC to quit. And the program I was using was very intensive.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks, VPC should work fine for me. They are basic programs that don't use much memory. Hopefully, Mac will be all it's said it should be.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Go for it, you won't regret it. I like Missing Sync because of how easy it is, and good integration with Entourage. I thought I would need VPC when I made the switch, but I haven't needed.