Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I like to listen to shoutcast using pocket tunes.
    I read the pocket tunes website... $27.50!!!

    It lists all these features that I do not care about.
    OGG, WMA, crossfade, gapless playback, bookmarks. I am fine with just streaming mp3 player.

    I just want to listen to shoutcast, i would pay $10.00-$15.00 dollars for an app that just launched shoutcast streams from the browser. Does such an app exist?

    hey pocket tunes guys.. rip out the shoutcast portion of your app and make it a separate app. you've got my $15.
  2. #2  
    I'm debating the upgrade (from 2.3.x - the free basic version that came with registering my Treo 600). The two benefits I would see are better sorting (artist/genre/etc) and possibly Shoutcast streaming.

    As I'm not currently on a data plan, and won't be using the streaming anytime soon, the improved sorting doesn't make sense for me to pay $20 to upgrade. Even if I did get on a data plan, the fact that when the CDMA data connection is active (always when streaming), calls go straight to voicemail.

    I think I'll just stick to my iPod for music and use pocket tunes basic for mp3 ringtones.
  3. #3  
    I am in the same boat. I love the streaming audio from shoutcast, but the 27 bucks is a little steep for one app.

    Weird thing is there does not seem to be any other apps. that do the streaming audio. I am new to the Palm world, and I am finding it odd that there are not more apps. for video (mmplayer basically) and for streaming (pocket tunes).

    I will most likely buy pocket, but I just want to make sure there is not anything out there better (and cheaper!!).
    Treo 650 user since 1/05
    Favorite app. = Pocket Tunes (Streaming audio through Shoutcast.com ).
  4.    #4  
    I looked for another streaming app and couldn't find one.
    I think I will write one. It will be very simple and do one thing.
    Play streaming mp3's...
    I haven't even started yet. I might this weekend. I will not be able to devot much time to this, since I have a very full time job.
  5. #5  
    I am looking to purchase Pocket Tunes for my 650. It sounds like if I am only interested in playing my mp3's and have no need for Shoutcast, the basic verion of Ptunes should be fine. Does this sound correct?
  6. dwman's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by daygo718
    I am looking to purchase Pocket Tunes for my 650. It sounds like if I am only interested in playing my mp3's and have no need for Shoutcast, the basic verion of Ptunes should be fine. Does this sound correct?

    The 650 comes with Real Player. If you only want MP3's then you don't even need to purchase pocket tunes.
  7. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #7  
    May I ask why you don't care about OGG support? It can triple the storage capacity of your SD card with no discernable loss in quality over MP3.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by aldamon
    May I ask why you don't care about OGG support? It can triple the storage capacity of your SD card with no discernable loss in quality over MP3.
    His reason may be different ... but I don't personally re-encode my CD's to OGG (doesn't work in my in-dash MP3 deck). So, IMO, it doesn't make much sense to have the same music album in MP3 & OGG format just to save some space on an SD card ... especially considering you can get 1GB SD cards for $50-$70+
    Palm Pro -> Palm IIIx -> HandSpring Visor Deluxe -> HandSpring Visor Prism -> Tapwave Zodiac 2 (don't use much) | Treo 650 | Palm LifeDrive (returned)
  9. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by YonksMan
    So, IMO, it doesn't make much sense to have the same music album in MP3 & OGG format just to save some space on an SD card ... especially considering you can get 1GB SD cards for $50-$70+
    Just "some space?" It's not like we're talking 10% savings here. OGG files are 1/2 - 1/3 the size of their MP3 equivalents. I have 16 CDs on my Treo 650 encoded in 80 kbps OGG and they're only taking up 465 megs. In essence, using 80 kbps OGG instead of 128 kbps MP3 makes my 1 GB SD Card into a 3 GB SD card in MP3 terms. Computer HDDs are huge and cheap, so keeping duplicate files shouldn't be a problem either. I have my 192 kbps MP3 files in one folder and the OGG equivalents in another. This gives me the best of both worlds.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman
    The 650 comes with Real Player. If you only want MP3's then you don't even need to purchase pocket tunes.

    I need Pocket Tunes because I will be using PT with Lightwav for mp3 ringers. Also, I don't really care too much for Real Player.
  11. #11  
    What is the best app for converting MP3 to OGG?
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
  12. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #12  
    dbPowerAmp
    there are 3 plugins you need, converter, ogg encoder, and something else.
    64kbps sounded as good as 128kbps mp3 on my treo 600 and took up 1/3rd the space. dbpoweramp by the way, is FREE
    search google
  13.    #13  
    I have ~20 CD of MP3's. I am not going to convert them to OGG to save space. If I need more space I will get another SD Card.

    I would not make a dent in 16 CD's with amount of time I spend listening to music, (~5 hours while at work), If i do not like my selection I just remove the ones I am sick of and put on new ones.
  14. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by markyoung04
    What is the best app for converting MP3 to OGG?
    I use CDEX:

    http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

    Updated OGG DLLs for CDEX:

    http://www.rarewares.org/files/ogg/o...-dlls1.1.0.zip

    Quote Originally Posted by gmcc
    I have ~20 CD of MP3's. I am not going to convert them to OGG to save space. If I need more space I will get another SD Card.

    I would not make a dent in 16 CD's with amount of time I spend listening to music, (~5 hours while at work), If i do not like my selection I just remove the ones I am sick of and put on new ones.
    Do you not care about quality either? If you crank up the bitrate, OGG would allow you to have better quality music with the same space you're using on MP3s. Your 5 hours of music would sound better. If you don't care about saving space and you don't care about sound quality then I don't have much else to say. Enjoy your MP3s
  15. ssrjazz's Avatar
    Posts
    786 Posts
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    #15  
    I don't think it's so much a matter of caring about one format over the other. I believe the gripe here is the cost of the application for just one feature he'd like to have but also other features that he doesn't want/need.

    While I appreciate the time and effort it takes for a developer to create these kinds of apps (they gotta eat too!) and pTunes seems to be one of the most solid ones out there, I can't help but feel nickle-and-dimed to DEATH by all these palm developers. Nearly every app out there is horribly overpriced. I also have a problem with all the 'subscription' style pricing too. I want to buy an app, not rent it. If you make improvements that I think are worth the price of an upgrade, I'm willing to pay for that too - don't force me to rent your software because...well....I won't.

    I -too- would love to see a streaming, less expensive version of pTunes w/o the ogg support and a few other less bells and whistles. If you're listening to shoutcast streams you don't NEED ogg support anyway.
  16.    #16  
    It could all be done with proper software engineering. Pocket tunes could have the basic mp3 player. A plugin for OOG, A plugin for shoutcast. A plugin for management (playlist and stuff. A plug for all the crossfade, gapless playback stuff)

    Basic - 10.00
    OGG - 8.00
    Shoutcast - 6.00
    managment - 3.00
    playback stuff - 3.00

    Good use of software keys could take care of the licensing. sure it would be harder to manage, but they would already have my 16.00 dollars and could have bought a pizza or something.
  17. #17  
    I just gotta laugh here. PTunes is $27, for god's sake!!! That's the cost of 1.5 CDs. Or a tank of gas. We're not talking $50, which is the cost of most games (that's $75 Mac) or even $99, the cost of most decent utilities PC utilities......

    My personal opinion is that the Palm software pricing model is pretty fair. If you don't like subscriptions, don't buy software that uses them. I have yet to buy a single Palm app that I thought was unreasonably priced....YMMV.
  18.    #18  
    I am only saying that I wish it were modular and I did not have to pay for the modules I do not want and not not plan to use.

    It is akin to buying an esspreso machine because you want hot water from the sipgot on the side.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcc
    It could all be done with proper software engineering. Pocket tunes could have the basic mp3 player. A plugin for OOG, A plugin for shoutcast. A plugin for management (playlist and stuff. A plug for all the crossfade, gapless playback stuff)

    Basic - 10.00
    OGG - 8.00
    Shoutcast - 6.00
    managment - 3.00
    playback stuff - 3.00

    Good use of software keys could take care of the licensing. sure it would be harder to manage, but they would already have my 16.00 dollars and could have bought a pizza or something.
    Why do that when you have a monopoly in the market, and can charge a flat $27 for everyone? You're forced to buy PocketTunes, because it's the only app out there for Palm that will stream audio. They *can* charge $27, because if you want it, you're *forced* to pay it.
  20. #20  
    I've owned 4 different Palm deviced. I've bought a grand total of 3 apps. Booze buddy ($3) Button manager ($2.50) and PTunes deluxe.

    I downloaded the free version when I registered my 600. Then tried the demo of Deluxe. In 2 weeks I had to have it. WMA support, and Shoutcast sold me.

    An Ipod is $250. I'll have about $108 invested for a 1 GB MP3 player. ($28-Ptunes, $30-Seido Headset, $50-1 GB SD card). Worth it!!!
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com

Posting Permissions