Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    this thread is in response to certain posts containing information about unlocking branded GSM 650's:

subsidy code: a 6-digit code that removes the subsidy lock on any branded gsm device, allowing for use of a SIM from any GSM provider. each subsidy code is unique to a handset's IMEI.

PUKcode: a 9-digit pincode used for unlocking a SIM card. as a security measure, owners of GSM handsets have the ability to password-lock their equipment. once enabled, a password is requested any time the phone is either powered up or brought out of idle status. one way to circumvent the lock is to remove the SIM card and insert it into another compatible GSM device. pretty straight-forward. enabling the SIM lock code, aka PUKcode, would prevent this. inputting an incorrect PUKcode 6-9 times renders a "burned" SIM card, with the only course of action left being is having to replace out the SIM for a brand new one.

however, what most people DON'T know is that after the very first time the SIM lock is enabled, it needs to be disabled using a PUKcode that is only available via customer care. once that initial code is entered in, THEN the user can custom create their own SIM passcode.

now that we have that out of the way, let it be known that a PUKcode, which applies to the SIM, WILL NOT function as a subsidy unlock code, which applies to the device. they are, as you can now see, two entirely different things.
    Last edited by b0tes; 02/04/2005 at 03:45 PM.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    here's the difference between locked & unlocked 650 & benefits!

locked:
    - cheaper as it is subsidised with price range of 399-549
    - DUN disabled , cingular might release this patch in the future as well, for now we have our in-house-engineer shadowmite for the DUN hack -it might be unstable, but hey, it works for now-
    - cingular/attws firmware, so when you startup the 650, there will be logo of cingular/attws *i know we can remove this, using our own customized skin BUT it will be always there when you hard reset the phone*
    - maybe some crapware is already in the ROM, its all thanks to cingular/attws!
    - available @ some retail stores, if you order from palmOne.com, won't be available for another 7-14 days *according to palmOne*
    - currently no unlock patch available -coming soon ?-
    - comes with contract

unlocked:
    - expensive @ 599
    - DUN enabled by default
    - pop in your current sim card, voila it works!
    - you can order now, but will be backordered and won't be available for another 7-14 days *according to palmOne*
    - no contract *yea baby, yea! this is the true meaning of GSM world!

anyone want to correct or add anything?

hope it helps
    Last edited by wolwol; 02/03/2005 at 09:54 AM.
    mods, i think we need to stick this thread to the top!
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Locked and unlocked are typically terms used for GSM phones. Major GSM carriers in the USA are T-Mobile and Cingular. Verizon and Sprint PCS do not use GSM technology (they use CDMA), and do not have SIM cards.

Locked: Refers to the phone not being able to accept any other SIM beyond that issued by the carrier. Your device becomes an expensive brick if you choose to switch carriers, or if travel overseas and use a pre-paid SIM.

Unlocked: Phone is able to accept any carrier SIM and can be reconfigured for any GSM network, foreign or domestic
    Last edited by alee; 02/03/2005 at 10:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Locked: Refers to the phone not being able to accept any other SIM beyond that issued by the carrier. Your device becomes an expensive brick if you choose to switch carriers, or if travel overseas and use a pre-paid SIM.

Unlocked: Phone is able to accept any carrier SIM and can be reconfigured for any GSM network, foreign or domestic
    how could i forget the basic of this!!
    argh!! thanks for the update alee
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Locked and unlocked are typically terms used for GSM phones. Major GSM carriers in the USA are T-Mobile and Cingular. Verizon and Sprint PCS do not use GSM technology (they use CDMA), and do not have SIM cards.

I am considering switching to Cingular from Verizon.

I thought I was aware of all the differnences between locked v. unlocked phones. But I did not know a locked GSM phone was unusable overseas?? Is this true? One of the major selling points of GSM for me was its portability in other countries. Is this a function of all locked GSM phones or something Cingular does?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    But I did not know a locked GSM phone was unusable overseas?? Is this true? One of the major selling points of GSM for me was its portability in other countries. Is this a function of all locked GSM phones or something Cingular does?
    I should clarify:
    Any GSM phone, locked or unlocked, can be used overseas provided they're a designated "world phone", which minimally is 800/900/1900Mhz. The Treo 650 is quad-band, 800/850/900/1900 and is a true world phone.

The distinction between locked and unlocked when it comes to overseas use is:
    A locked phone requires you to continue to use your carrier's SIM, so you will pay the expensive overseas rates for using your phone overseas. You would have to rent an unlocked handset to use when overseas if you wish to take advantage of using a local pre-paid SIM.

An unlocked phone allows you the choice of using your carrier's SIM or buying a pre-paid SIM at an airport, which allows you to take advantage of local calling rates.
  8.    #8  

I thought I was aware of all the differnences between locked v. unlocked phones. But I did not know a locked GSM phone was unusable overseas?? Is this true? One of the major selling points of GSM for me was its portability in other countries. Is this a function of all locked GSM phones or something Cingular does?
    a locked GSM phone such as the cingular-branded treo 650 is perfectly useable overseas. the catch is that when you use your phone outside of the US, you're subject to the international roaming fees, which can range from .35cents to $2.50 per minute! with an unlocked device, one would be able to walk into any local cellphone store and purchase and use a prepaid sim, where the charges are usually no higher that .35cents/minute.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w

yes, its true, when you put in the sim card of overseas carrier, the phone won't startup, or at least it will say its locked.

yes, this is function of all locked phone

the point of selling locked phone is that so an operator will be able to sell the phone cheaper to you and in return, you're expected to be with them for the duration of a year or two *depend on the contract*
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    - no contract *yea baby, yea! this is the true meaning of GSM world!
    The only issue that I'm running into is the fact that you can't sign up for a plan without commiting to a contract. So for me, since I do like Suckular's network even if their plans and CS are crap, it seems I'll end up with a contract anyway. So then I have to ask is unlocked phone (which I could use overseas but never seem to get a chance to do) + DUN worth the extra $250 (since I could get the Cingular Treo650 for 350). I haven't cancelled my order or anything but I'm still not 100% sold.
    if it's locked, you can use the phone in other countries, but you'll be paying roaming charges since you have to use your SIM card. If it's unlocked, you can pick up a prepaid SIM card while travelling to make calls and it will be less expensive then roaming
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    if it's locked, you can use the phone in other countries, but you'll be paying roaming charges since you have to use your SIM card. If it's unlocked, you can pick up a prepaid SIM card while travelling to make calls and it will be less expensive then roaming
    trust me, by the time you get back to states and looked at the bill, you'll be able to afford another unlocked treo 650!
    trust me, by the time you get back to states and looked at the bill, you'll be able to afford another unlocked treo 650!
    My old boss racked up $1500 in charges on a trip to China. He expensed it but got REAMED and then on his next trip if you called he said "Hey, I will call you back from a land line..."
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    My old boss racked up $1500 in charges on a trip to China. He expensed it but got REAMED and then on his next trip if you called he said "Hey, I will call you back from a land line..."

lol!
    3 treo 650!!!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    The only issue that I'm running into is the fact that you can't sign up for a plan without commiting to a contract. So for me, since I do like Suckular's network even if their plans and CS are crap, it seems I'll end up with a contract anyway. So then I have to ask is unlocked phone (which I could use overseas but never seem to get a chance to do) + DUN worth the extra $250 (since I could get the Cingular Treo650 for 350). I haven't cancelled my order or anything but I'm still not 100% sold.
    during our training for the switch from at&t --> cingular, we were advised that any at&t customer currently out of contract that wants to migrate over to cingular would not be forced into starting up a new contract. instead, said customer could take on a comparable rate plan that would include less minutes. ex: in illinois, the $39.99 national plan gives you 450 anytime w/rollover, 5000 night + weekend minutes, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile. the non-contracted version would give you about 100 less anytime minutes per month.

also, cingular doesn't carry the unlocked 650. only palm does.
    Does Cingular/ATT offer any 'prepaid' US SIMS that would work in the unlocked Treo 650??? Seems likea good way to try out Cingular's network with out the hassle of starting up a contract for a 30 trial and then having to cancel it. I'm with TMo now, but would like a 'painless' way to try Cingular's coverage & EDGE.
    Treo 650 GSM Unlocked-TMobile
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    Does Cingular/ATT offer any 'prepaid' US SIMS that would work in the unlocked Treo 650??? Seems likea good way to try out Cingular's network with out the hassle of starting up a contract for a 30 trial and then having to cancel it. I'm with TMo now, but would like a 'painless' way to try Cingular's coverage & EDGE.

yup!
    check it out here!

http://www.cingular.com/myaccount/prepaid
    yup!
    Could you elaborate please? I've asked at 2 local Cingular stores and they were clueless...checked the Cingular website but the ones listed there only seem to work in 'special prepaid type' phones. Can you give me alink or something? TIA for any info!
    Quote Originally Posted by paris
    Could you elaborate please? I've asked at 2 local Cingular stores and they were clueless...checked the Cingular website but the ones listed there only seem to work in 'special prepaid type' phones. Can you give me alink or something? TIA for any info!

sorry!
    i've edited the link

http://www.cingular.com/myaccount/prepaid
    Thanks wolwol
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast