Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    My question is quite simple: Do different carriers use different algorithims for locking the phone. I mean can ATT unlock a Verizon phone or vice versa?

The reason I am asking is to see if Rogers Wireless in Canada, could actually unlock ATT US phone. Or if this is just technically impossible ( TRE0650 phone.)
    Was wondering if anyone who is still on the old At&t system has been successful unlocking the phone. I was told that they do not unlock phones. This means I'd have to migrate to cingular I guess.

Alternatively

Has anyone found someone who unlocks 650's yet
    Post 112 on page 6 of this thread documents what I did to get my AT&T phone unlocked by Cingular.
    Figured I would pass on my "adventures in unlocking..."

I was an original ATT customer and had a T600 that was logo-ed ATT. While still a “legacy ATT customer”, I purchased a T650. It came from ATT/Cingular and has no logo on the physical phone. When it boots it displays the Cingular logo, but I am using the same SIM from my T600. I decided to migrate my account to Cingular. I called and talked to the “PDA Group” and eventually was transferred to someone who knew how to get the unlock code. Everyone until this person told me to call PalmOne, that they did not have the subsidy unlock code. The code IS based on the IMEI number; and with the phone ON (and on the phone screen) you enter *#*#[unlock_code]# , then dial. The phone will then display that it has been unlocked. It is not necessary to enter a new set of network configurations, placing the new SIM in and resetting the phone will download the correct settings.

Call your original provider (the one you purchased the phone from), they will have the unlock codes.

Cingular and ATT Treos use the same basic ROM (as per an ATT person that actually knew what was up), other GSM Treos are slightly different, but when unlocked should still work with any other GSM provider.

If there is a GREAT need, I can post the number I called to get the unlock code, and I can pass on the name of the guy that can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgch1726
    I called Cingular Tech support 866-287-6131 this morning, and got my unlock code over the phone. The guy on the line was very helpful. The phone call lasted 5 minutes. I told him I wanted the Treo 650 unlocked to used in Europe. He said I had to meet one of the two rules. 1) Had the Treo in used for 90 days. 2) Paid full price and had the receipt. Rule 2 applies to me. I got a fax number from him and faxed him my receipt. He then gave me the code. Very simple!
    I just picked up and activated my phone 4 days ago. I ordered it the week before and didn't realize I would have to get it unlocked for my upcoming trip to the Philippines.

After stopping in about 7 or 8 stores asking if they could unlock it, I got one person who said he could do it for $40 but would need the phone for a couple of days.

I didn't want to do that and I tried calling Customer Service via "611" on my phone. That lady said I didn't need it unlocked to use a local sim card in the Philippines but I knew that wasn't correct. Even though I told her that, she told me that I was the one who was incorrect.

Then I remembered this post and called the number this morning. After about 5 minutes on the phone, the guy gave me the unlock code. The criteria was either paying full price or being a customer for 90 days. I paid full price and told him that I was traveling to remote parts of the Philippines where there would only be coverage from a local carrier.

I gave him my IMEI number and he gave me the unlock code!
    Update: Just tried a co-worker's T-mobile sim card and it worked so I know this is valid.
    got my unlock code, but tried to unlock and it didn't work. Do you need to have the SIM card from Cingular in the phone?
    Apparently the answer is yes. BTW, Cingular was very helpful (though not particularly knowledgable), but they went as far as to get on the phone with me and PalmOne to get the code and resolve the problem.
    If anyone is interested in joining a lawsuit over locked GSM phones, please get more details about phone locking and a link to the lawsuit from my site: http://laserphernalia.com#att
    Quote Originally Posted by jdl70
    got my unlock code, but tried to unlock and it didn't work. Do you need to have the SIM card from Cingular in the phone?
    you don't have to have your old SIM in the phone. You must though have the phone antenna turned on. I unlocked an ATT T650 while a Cingular SIM was in the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmire
    you don't have to have your old SIM in the phone. You must though have the phone antenna turned on. I unlocked an ATT T650 while a Cingular SIM was in the phone.
    I tried with a T-mobile SIM in and the radio turned on (SOS Only) and it didn't work.
    Been trying for a week now to get the unlock, but no help yet from the idiots at AT&T or cingular. A letter to simunlock@cingular.com only gets me the autoresponse. I'm thinking about changing over to Cingular, maybe that will help. What a pain. I hate letting them win!
    Hi, my name is Armando and i bought the treo 650 i miami, Fl with cingular services but now i return to my Country Dominican Republic and here the only GSM service is Orange and they don't know how to unlocked can someone help me how to do it send me an answer to my email: army_05@hotmail.com
    pls Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange_DR
    Hi, my name is Armando and i bought the treo 650 i miami, Fl with cingular services but now i return to my Country Dominican Republic and here the only GSM service is Orange and they don't know how to unlocked
    The only people who can unlock a Cingular phone, are Cingular themselves. (At least, until someone cracks the algorithm.) But this begs the question: if you knew you were going to want to use your phone in the Dominican Republic, why on earth would you buy one that was locked to a US carrier?
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Perhaps because he didn't know it was locked. It's not clearly disclosed in the promotional material or documentation.
    SIM Unlock
    Much has been talked about in this thread regarding SIM unlock codes, how it is attached to the IMEI number etc. My experience even surprised me. I got a SIM unlock code from T-Mobile soon after purchase. It worked as directed. I gave it to a friend of mine to try but it wouldnt work on her treo. Then I had to change out the handset for a defect. I got the new phone and tried the SIM unlock and it worked! Ok I tell myself its something about SIM card then. Well 5 handsets later I actually lost the phone and had to get a new SIM card and a new handset. I tried the same original unlock code and it worked!!! Wow I tell myslelf. I then tried the unlock code on a different style handset on my account but it wouldnt work. Any combination treo 600 with my acount and different SIM card Unlocked the handset. I tried this with about 6 different handsets and 2 different SIM cards. Go figure. This blows the theory about it being connected to the IMEI number or even the SIM, It must somehow be connected to the account. Would be interesting to know from an actual Tech what the story is.
    Did you verify that the phones were actually unlocked, by trying a different carrier's SIM? As I understand it, you will always get a success message even if the code was incorrect!
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    I migrated from my AT&T Treo 600 to a Cingular 650 on Monday and immediately asked about getting it unlocked so I can use my foreign SIMs in the unit when I travel abroad (which I do a lot). The Cingular clerk advised me to phone Cingular customer service, which I did when I got home. The agent was not too sure they'd do it, but said she would forward the paperwork to the unit within Cingular responsible for this, and said I'd have a response within 48 hours. Sure enough, today I got a reply from a Jessica McGowan with the unlock code for my phone, and it seems to have worked! Woohoo!!

So it can be done. Whether the fact that I have been an AT&T customer for ever had anything to do with it I don't know.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I have a locked 650 that I bought at full price from Cingular.

If I am successful in getting it unlocked by Cingular can I then install the latest firmware from P1? Would doing that give me DUN and also get rid of the Cingular 'extra' programs and branding.
    Thanks,
    --Nelson
    I am still on the 600 trying to get to the 650 just wanted to let all know there is a fix out there 45$ look up ebay, search 'treo 650 unlock'
    hoping something similar will be public soon
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast