Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    After a lengthy time of 1.5+ hours on the phone with 2 Cingular regular-level reps 7 then a tech rep, they would not agree to unlock the subsudy code util 3 months had passed. I had waited on the phone so long that I didn't have any "fight" left in me. They would have easily unlocked my husband's moto v400but not the Treo 650...yet. I've been with them for 7+ years (since the pacbell wireless days) and that's G-R-A-T-I-T-U-D-E for you! I don't know what they're afraid of...I have another 2-YEAR CONTRACT with them!! What lousy customer service!!! My friend called to unlock his V400s & Treo 650 and within 2 days they sent an e-mail with codes and the process to use for the V400s only. He never did use the process but went into T-Mobile & now the phones were unlocked. Go figure...and they were locked "before" the call to Cingular...hmmm
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I tried to get Cingular to unlock my AT&T Tungsten W, and I was told that Cingular couldn't do that. (While it would be nice to have my 650 unlocked, I'm more immediately interested in the W so that I can sell it.) Maybe I have to play CSR Routlette?
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Tried for 2 weeks and gave up....Treo 650 ATT back on its way and maybe get Cingular full price and get it unlocked ..... ATT sucks !!!!!
    I called Cingular Tech support 866-287-6131 this morning, and got my unlock code over the phone. The guy on the line was very helpful. The phone call lasted 5 minutes. I told him I wanted the Treo 650 unlocked to used in Europe. He said I had to meet one of the two rules. 1) Had the Treo in used for 90 days. 2) Paid full price and had the receipt. Rule 2 applies to me. I got a fax number from him and faxed him my receipt. He then gave me the code. Very simple!
    Well, you're one of the lucky ones. So don't gloat too much. LOL

Not everyone gets an easy going rep who is cooperative. I feel for those who have been with Cingular for years and having to suffer though weeks of calls to get their subsidy unlock codes.

I got mine in a week. I'm a new Cingular customer (3 days when I called them).
    And you are telling us this because????

Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    ZBoater-
    What are you referring to?
    I would think this thread would be beneficial for those "on the fence", so to speak, about a carrier or unlocked 650 from PalmOne.
    Personally, I dropped the extra cash and sprung or that unlocked one. Europe, here I come...
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    ZBoater is referring to a completely off-topic post which is now gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    I fortunately got my order in early and have an ulocked Treo waiting at $599. Maybe I'll get it some day. But *if* Cingular is unlocking T650 for customers then I'd get that instead and throw on the DUN hack. How when I called and asked they said they wouldn't unlock it. Other folks here are saying that they've been told by Cingular that they won't unlock it.

So can anyone here CONFIRM That they PERSONALLY have gotten an unlock code out of Cingular for their T650?
    I did. Only took a few minutes. I work for a very large computer company that has an account with Cingular. Not sure if that helped, but the CSR was more than happy to give me the code for my Treo and my AT&T V600. I had just (about a week prior) received my 650 and moved to Cingular from AT&T.
    I"ve got a Sprint 600 and thinking about getting a Cingular 650 because:
    1. 650 seems to be noticeably nicer than 600, all things considered
    2. Cingular data plan is just a little more than Sprint's
    3. I can unlock the Cingular 650 and use it overseas with local SIM from airport

But will data always work overseas with the airport SIM? I use my Treo 95% for e-mail and 5% for phone.

I'm assuming Cingular has a version of Business Connect to sync with my Exchange Server...
    Fr what its worth I've had my unlocked treo 650 bought direct from Palm 4-days. It has already worked in the UK on Sprint/ATT&Cingular, the UK with O2(home network) and numerous networks in Germany and Austria. I did find some networks where I could not mae a network connection but none were exclsuive and I changed and used another. I used the DUN networking to connect my laptop in London and Austria. It worked but was slow. The Treo 650 web browser was very fast almost everywhere compared to my old Tungsten W set-up. Snappermail was a star and worked all the time, I don't use Versamail.

The only downside was I couldn't get the Cingular pre-pay SIM to make a network connection anywhere, and it wouldn't even allow voice calls outside the US. I guess I have some way to go on that.
    can 650 run in "pda only" mode without a SIM card ?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Yes.
    My firiend had a Cingular account and called one of the previously posted tech support numbers. They sent him am email and I was able to unlock my phone.

In the email they posted a phone number if you have an issue unlocking your phone. Here it is.

1-800-331-0500"

Good Luck!
    I have been with the same phone company for about 15 years. I don't even remember it's original name. Anyway, until recently it was AT&T and now it is AT&T/Cingular.

So, I have migrated over to Cingular at the cost of having to purchase new hardware (Treo 650). Just 6 months ago I had a Treo 600. I was not on any contract (only month by month).

Now, I have been stuck with a 2 year contract but have 30 days to try it out. I still have about 25 days.

I suspect if I try to get a subsidy unlock code, they will claim I haven't been with them long enough (15 years with one company but only a few months with Cingular, since they merged). But, since I have 30 days to try, I can always go back to my month by month or switch carriers altogether.

I travel quite a bit in Europe and need the local sims. My Treo 600 was unlocked so that wasn't a problem but now my new 650 is locked. Seems like I downgraded instead of upgraded. Anyone have any luck getting a subsidy unlock code for the case where you can simply return the equipment? I mean 15 years should be long enough.
    I only had my phone for 2 weeks b4 I got it unlocked. That "rule" is something some support tech quotes.

Try the number I listed above. They have no idea, how long you had your phone but from your phone number they will know who you are and if you are a long-term customer.

Give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipscone
    I suspect if I try to get a subsidy unlock code, they will claim I haven't been with them long enough (15 years with one company but only a few months with Cingular, since they merged). But, since I have 30 days to try, I can always go back to my month by month or switch carriers altogether.[/b]
    You suspect? Haven't you called them yet?

I had my phone with Cingular for 3 days when I asked for the subsidy code, but I was persistently calling every day for a week till I got it.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    As of March 3rd Cingular's official policy is that they will provide the subsidy unlock code for a phone if the following are met:

- The phone was purchased at a discounted price and has been active on the Cingular network for a minimum of 90 days.
    (this applies to both service contracts and prepaid)

or

- The phone was purchased at full retail price.

To gain the subsidy unlock code, one must call Customer Service @ 800-331-0500 or 866-287-6131 or 866-246-4852. First one will speak with a tier 1 CSR and give Name, Contact Information and the IMEI number of the phone to be unlocked. Then tier one fills out a Subsidy Unlock Request Form and forwards the form to tier 2 (Tech Support) who in turn will contact the customer with the unlock code. Direct requests for subsidy unlock to tier 2 are redirected to tier 1 at best but are usually just ignored or refused.

The first phone call takes about 10 minutes depending on hold time. The entire process takes about 10 days from start to finish.

Many CSR are not aware of their own policy despite their assertations. In such cases, ONE MUST MAKE THE CSR READ THE ACTUAL POLICY OVER THE PHONE. Then the CSR will see that one can actually gain their subsidy unlock provided that the proper steps are followed.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Just received unlock code from request submitted earlier today. 7hr turnaround. SWEET! Now using T-Mobile SIM with my Cingular branded phone. Just made my first call.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    BTW. I have NEVER had any account with AT&T/Cingular. This phone was NEVER activated on any network. It was brand new, sealed in the original box.

I just called and followed the procedure I spelled out above and provided Proof of Purchase (email reciept from PayPal) via fax.

7 hours later, I got an email from Cingular. *#*#<unique 8 digit number># dial. Voila! Unlocked.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast