Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Trimark, is there any reason why the unlocked Treo couldn't be purchased from PalmOne with a US credit card and sent to the NY office? or why you can't use a landline phone to dial 1-800 numbers? (heck, I use public pay phones for those.)

I agree that most US businesses aren't focused on, or understand the needs of, international high-flyers. As a group, they (you) spend a lot, but are such a tiny part of the market that there's no point in training the shopfront sales staff on obscure things like SIM unlocking. 90% of Americans don't even have passports, after all--quite unlike Europe--and I imagine that a similar percentage applies to Cingular's 40+ million customers.
    - pc
    Something funny just happened. Cingular sent me the unlock code for my AT&T Treo 650 yesterday (as described earlier) but today I got another e-mail stating:

"For security and verification purposes, all requests for SIM unlock codes must be directed to our Customer Service Department which can be reached by calling 1-866-246-4852 or by dialing 611 on your handset.

Please do not reply to this email, this email address is not monitored."

I think I got lucky because I sent in the wrong IMEI and got a response from an actual person. When I replied I copied both her and the simunlockcode id. She responded with the code right away but the other id seems to have sent some sort of canned reply.

When I had a Nokia 7210, there were unlock code calculators available online. I've seen some web sites that charge $5 to calculate the Nokia codes and there may even be some sites that do it for free. You enter the phone model, IMEI and provider and it computes the unlock code. I suspect there's something similar for the Treo, but it is not yet public.
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    When I had a Nokia 7210, there were unlock code calculators available online. I've seen some web sites that charge $5 to calculate the Nokia codes and there may even be some sites that do it for free. You enter the phone model, IMEI and provider and it computes the unlock code. I suspect there's something similar for the Treo, but it is not yet public.
    the dct4 calculators used for remotely unlocking a gsm nokia takes the device's imei to calculate the restriction override codes. the program that cingular has been using differs slighty, in that it takes the imei of the phone and uses it to generate a unique subsidy unlock code. they both produce the same end results, yes, but go about it in different ways. for example, there is only one subsidy unlock code for every treo 650, whereas there could be up to seven different restriction override codes for each nokia.

rumor has it that the name of the app that cingular uses to generate the unlock codes is "snooper".
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by paytonc
    Trimark, is there any reason why the unlocked Treo couldn't be purchased from PalmOne with a US credit card and sent to the NY office?
    Err yes, the Palm website will only accept US Credit cards, and will only ship to a US address. So, since I have three UK credit cards, I was bust. Actually having been to yet another Cingular dealership today and met someone who wanted to help, but couldn't since he couldn't get through to the right person about the unlock, my buddy has ordered a Treo650 from the PalmOne website tonight with delivery to his home address.. in 1 or 2 weeks. D'oh. He will then fed-ex it to me.

or why you can't use a landline phone to dial 1-800 numbers? (heck, I use public pay phones for those.)
    You tried using one in the back of a car on a ride from the airport, or while stuck on the runway at O'Hare for 2-hours, or just trying to find one in the UK anymore... Its a nice thought... and used when I can, but the whole point of a cellphone is so you don't need a landline, this isn't 1986 anymore even in the US telecoms industry.

Interestingly, I think the cellphone companies are going to have to adapt very quickly or die anyway. I did a 1-hour call VOIP wireless using t-mobile wifi from Starbucks this afternoon. Plantronics make a stero earbud headset with an inline mic which is small and perfectly formed for this sort of thing. Shame it has a 10ft lead. City wide wifi networks are springing up everywhere...

I agree that most US businesses aren't focused on, or understand the needs of, international high-flyers. As a group, they (you) spend a lot, but are such a tiny part of the market that there's no point in training the shopfront sales staff on obscure things like SIM unlocking. 90% of Americans don't even have passports, after all--quite unlike Europe--and I imagine that a similar percentage applies to Cingular's 40+ million customers.
    - pc
    It would be easy to jump on the bandwagon and bash Americans, that would be a). unfair b). inaccurate and c). missing the point. I lived here for 6-years in the 80's, I spend 3 out of every 5-weeks here now, with such a diverse country with such spectacular scenary, such cheap fuel, an excellent service industry for the traveller etc. ... why would anyone want to go anywhere else... yeah I know a different culture and history... but you get my point.

The point with European cellphone industry is that it was forced from the start to work on customer service since europeans by default do travel from country to country much more often, becuase the countries and much smaller and closer together...

I agree with your numbers argument. Of course we frequent flyers are in the US as a very small minority. The point is/was though that companies like Cingular who don't adapt will get eaten alive by the big European wireless carriers when they've squeezed the last drop out of playing the numbers only game and competing only on cost. There is so little to chose from between US wireless carriers really that its almost worth refering them to a US Government anti-trust commision to see if they are colluding to defraud consumers...

Shame I've ended up giving the scalpers at Palm the full 699... I'd have much rather spread the money around. After all, its Palms problem and old fashioned idea of making a buck that caused this problem in the first place.
    So, here is yet another "laugh" about this order. When you order via the PalmOne website you get a choice of USPS shipping including $16.99 for 2-day shipping. However, since the delivery is listed on their website as 1-2 weeks, and I'll be gone by the time the 650 is delivere to my friend... I took standard delivery. So what happens, the 1-2 week shipping turns into 4-business hours. Yes, my 650 was shipped almost exactly 4-business hours after I placed the order on the web. Great news? No... it almost certainly won't show up until Monday after I fly out... which is the worst of all results... I'm flying to NY for 3-days Monday, back to London for a 1/2 day then out to Kitbuhel in Austria for 3-days...

If I'd know Palm would ship next day I'd have paid for 2-day shipping and had it before I leave... now its not going to get to me for 2-weeks anyway... I'm not risking shipping it to NY as it won't make it and to Kitbuhel who knows... so it will have yo wait until I get back to NY.

So, anyone looking for a $699 unlock Palm Treo 650... there is currently no shipping delay... get your orders in now...
    I anyone familiar with the following sequence found on another site?

*#*#1234#

Some claim it will unlock Cingular 650.
  7.    #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by korndog
    I anyone familiar with the following sequence found on another site?

*#*#1234#

Some claim it will unlock Cingular 650.
    very, but that is not the subsidy unlock code that will allow you to use other carriers' sim cards.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    oops, i see that sewuence was covered earlier.
    I ordered a Cingular 650 from Wirefly for 349 with a lengthy Cingular contract. I will receive it tomorrow and am considering returning it in favor of an unlocked version after reading this. I would like to use DUN and am concerned by reports of limited functionality with the current Shadowmite work around.
    an FYI & a question:

Called the Cingular 866-287-6131 & after minor sweet talkting to the sopport person I was asked my IMEI # & later (after looking through the database) I was given an 8 digit unlock #. I used it and said: SIM unlocked. I don't know if this is the subsidy unlock because I don't have a nother SIM card.

The question: is there a way to find out if I am really unlocked?.

Thanks in advance,
    Simon
    I went to a TMobile store and the sales person was nice enough to let me try one of their cards.
    TMobile support is more friendly than Cingular. Neither are well informed, but I like dealing with TMobile CS and TS.

As for unlock codes, Cingular will eventually give it to you, but they will hassle a lot of you before they do. Some luck out on the first attempt. Others have to keep trying.
    Is it possible to unlock Cingular Treo 650 with some software modification ?
    If it's possible, can you simply write how ?
    I really need this answer as soon as possible, because I have to purchase it today or tomorrow.
    THANKS...
    Software modification? You could probably get it unlocked using remote unlock software, provided by an online vendor. Last time looked GSMLocker.com was providing remote unlock service for T600.

Try them, or do a google search. You'll find lots of places that can unlock your phone for a fee.
    I was looking for a firmware modification as with the Treo 600. As far as I remember, a locked Treo 600 can be unlocked by a simple firmware mod and update. Is it also possible with Treo 650 ?

Thanks...
  15.    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by ilkeraktuna
    I was looking for a firmware modification as with the Treo 600. As far as I remember, a locked Treo 600 can be unlocked by a simple firmware mod and update. Is it also possible with Treo 650 ?

Thanks...
    not at the moment, no. but it's really now just a matter of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Unlocking either requires a hack, or an unlock friendly carrier.

For instance, provided you have been a T-Mobile customer for a few months, T-Mobile has always been willing to unlock their phones if you wanted to use their phones overseas. Prior to the AT&T Wireless merger with Cingular, the official AT&T poilcy was no unlocking, period. From what I've been told, Cingular has typically carried unlocked phones, but post-merger they appear to have adopted AT&T's policies.
    I used to be with Cingular, and I dropped my phone, killing it. So I grabbed the SIM card, hoping to find a Cingular store, and in that particular area, Cingular still had TDMA. I absolutely needed a phone, so I found a T-Mobile store, and bought a locked phone. I called T-Mobile from the store, and they were very sympathetic, immediately giving me the unlock code.

I was so impressed, when I got home, I compared the two services, and realizing that I was never happy with Cingular's Customer Service, I switched to T-Mobile, and never looked back.

However, I always buy an unlocked phone, even if it costs more (sometimes, a lot more). When I am roaming internationally, I keep my T-Mobile SIM, so that I can receive calls. I usually tell the person, I'll call back, either from a land line or using a local pre-paid SIM card. The local pre-paid card is often less expensive than calling back home through any US-based international long distance service, and certainly cheaper than the hotel phone!
    I begged a Cingular ts lady for a subsidy unlock code and she swore she would email it to me because I have been with them for a while and am under contract. She lied of course.
  18.    #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by korndog
    I begged a Cingular ts lady for a subsidy unlock code and she swore she would email it to me because I have been with them for a while and am under contract. She lied of course.
    know that it can take up to ten full business days for them to email you with the subsidy unlock code and the instructions on how to use it. until then, feel free to keep badgering cingular technical support for the code.
    Botes - Glad to hear that it still might happen. I get the feeling that they will give it up eventually. I just need to catch the right lady that falls for my charm. Hopefully, I will get that email.
    i've been with cingular for exactly 1 week today. middle of last week (three days into being a cingular customer) i called and a regular customer service guy said it was in their policy to not release subsidy unlock codes. then he tried to find the exact phrase used in the contract agreement. he futzed with his computer for a few minutes before resigning to admit "the policy on unlock codes is not clear. let me transfer you to a second level tech." i was transfered to a woman who's iq was 50 points higher than the last guy i had been speaking with. i told her i'd soon be heading oversees for six months. i told her i intended to keep my new cingular acct active while i was gone and that when i got back from oversees i'd plug my cingular sim back in and use it again. but that while i was away i was going to buy a cheaper local sim. i payed $499 through p1 and faxed the lady my invoice. i got an unlock code emailed to me the next day. it said that it unlocked it. i haven't checked with another sim but it was a fairly painless process so....
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast