Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    um, that's not true. You can buy a T650 from Cingular without committment to a contract. You pay $549 at the corporate store I went to today. Palm will charge you $699

I did not ask, but I assumed if you pay full price and have no contract obligation, then the phone has to be unlocked
    I got mine the same way as you did and well I did call Cingular and said that I will be going to HK in a week and I need my 650 unlocked... so she transfered me to the tech and he said I have to own the 650 for more then 90 days according to the company policy. So I told him that I purchased this unit at full retail price then he went to check with the manager and the manager said well then yes we can unlock it and handle me back to the tech... after about a minute he told me that they don't have a way to unlock 650 yet because they "did not have the information from the PalmOne how to" so yes it's possible but just not yet... and they did say that they don't even have a way to unlock their old 600 before.

Guess I'll call back next month.
    I found an unlock code at http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000637030517/ which seemed to work. Here's the relevant part -- no guarantees!

"...you can unlock the GSM version of the Treo 650 by entering the sequence *#*#1234# and then pressing the center D-pad button. Havenít tried this ourselves yet, so if you completely screw up your Treo 650 we canít help you, ok?"

I tried it on mine, and it said it unlocked (and it still worked).
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by hlhall
    I found an unlock code at http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000637030517/ which seemed to work. Here's the relevant part -- no guarantees!

"...you can unlock the GSM version of the Treo 650 by entering the sequence *#*#1234# and then pressing the center D-pad button. Havenít tried this ourselves yet, so if you completely screw up your Treo 650 we canít help you, ok?"

I tried it on mine, and it said it unlocked (and it still worked).
    that's a pukcode unlocker, not a subsidy unlock.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong, but the ability to use a pre-paid SIM in other countries seems to be a bit of a mixed blessing. While the rates are certainly cheaper, you no longer have your original phone number, correct? So you then need to tell all your friends/family/business contacts your "new" number which of course is a long distance international call for them. I'm failing to see the convenience here, unless you planning to spend months in that country.
    perfect example. i was in rio for carnaval for 2 weeks. i have an unbranded (unlocked) 600. my service is with cingular. my phone rang normally and i answered important calls. i could aslo call out to the us or brazil, by dialing +1-212-xxx-xxxx or xxx-xxx-xx respectively.

i purchased a prepaid sim at a claro store. service was provided by 'tim'. this gave me a number in rio, unlimited incoming calls, voicemail and text messaging.

this allowed me to keep in contact with locals, restaurants, etc. without incurring the .75/minute using my regular sim. i changed my sim 2x/day to check my voicemail. i told my americano counterparts to hit me up via sms or instant messanger.

p.s. gprs (data) worked flawlessly in rio.
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    I fortunately got my order in early and have an ulocked Treo waiting at $599. Maybe I'll get it some day. But *if* Cingular is unlocking T650 for customers then I'd get that instead and throw on the DUN hack. How when I called and asked they said they wouldn't unlock it. Other folks here are saying that they've been told by Cingular that they won't unlock it.

So can anyone here CONFIRM That they PERSONALLY have gotten an unlock code out of Cingular for their T650?
    I received my unlock code, and I've only been with cingular Orange since Jan. 14th, but I migrated from ATTWS... They do give it out..

http://hays.hopto.org/pics/t-mobile.jpg
  6.    #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj
    I received my unlock code, and I've only been with cingular Orange since Jan. 14th, but I migrated from ATTWS... They do give it out..

yes, i too can confirm that cingular indeed both has in their possession and is able to divulge the subsidy unlock code. and yes, after two whole days of mixed answers on the "official" policy regarding subsidy unlock codes, supposed management escalation, and technical support redirects, i was finally able to procure it from them directly over the phone with a tech support represenative.

prior to that, in more than a dozen different instances, i had been given the option of submitting a form, requesting the code via an email directed to the subsidy unlock group, and then having the code either emailed back to me or to have a rep call me back with the unlock code as well as the instructions on how to input it. however being the impatient, cynically-minded person that i am, i took their words with grains of salt, and instead opted to keep on calling back to tech support and customer care in the hopes that eventually someone would give in to my demands. luckily, my persistence paid off

and even more amazing, is that fact that no less than a day after i received and inputted in the subsidy unlock code, a rep from the sim unlock group left me a message on my voicemail, containing BOTH the same unlock code originally given to me by the tech rep, as well as the instructions on how to use it. guess i was being impatient and cynical, afterall

in either instance, here are two links to threads that contain more info and tips on how to properly go about getting your unlock code from cingular: here and here.

good journey and may the schwartz be with you!
    Last edited by b0tes; 02/14/2005 at 02:04 PM.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayswj

that's good to know. i wanted to stick with an unbranded phone as i'm always jetsetting around the world and love being able to use my phone. but damn, $699? that's called a headcrack

if i'm guaranteed to be able to get an unlock code without any hassle i may just purchase the cingular version.
    Usual Suspects Entertainment
    We make the crowd move.
    www.djnyce.com
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by franknitty69
    that's good to know. i wanted to stick with an unbranded phone as i'm always jetsetting around the world and love being able to use my phone. but damn, $699? that's called a headcrack

if i'm guaranteed to be able to get an unlock code without any hassle i may just purchase the cingular version.
    in terms of your subsidy code, know that you're only going to get out of it what you put in. a half-arsed effort into your quest for the code will only result in stacked odds that are most certainly not in your favor.

the journey toward subsidy code bliss is long, tiresome, repetitive, and bleak. stick to your guns, bite down your tongue, and i can assure you that someone, somewhere will break and either divvy it up right on the spot, or at the very least, will put in for the email request.

that being said, i wish you the best of luck!
    If you bought a new Cingular T650 and paid full price (no subsidy or change in contract length), then you can call Cingular tech support (not the usual CSR) and ask them to give you the SIM Subsidy Unlock Code. They will ask you to fax them your original invoice and your IMEI number (just photocopy the side of the box with all of the info), plus your cell number. They then give you an 8-digit code (takes a minute or 2 on their end). At the Treo 650 phone screen, you then type in:
    *#*# then 8-digit code then #
    and then hit the green dial button. You should get a message back that confirms unlock. Now you have a fully unlocked Treo 650 world phone.
    Worked for me--no hassles. YMMV.
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    If you bought a new Cingular T650 and paid full price (no subsidy or change in contract length), then you can call Cingular tech support (not the usual CSR) and ask them to give you the SIM Subsidy Unlock Code. They will ask you to fax them your original invoice and your IMEI number (just photocopy the side of the box with all of the info), plus your cell number. They then give you an 8-digit code (takes a minute or 2 on their end). At the Treo 650 phone screen, you then type in:
    *#*# then 8-digit code then #
    and then hit the green dial button. You should get a message back that confirms unlock. Now you have a fully unlocked Treo 650 world phone.
    Worked for me--no hassles. YMMV.
    did you purchase it at full price because you're not currently a cingular customer but tied to another gsm carrier, or because you didn't want to tie into another contract renewal just for the phone? i'm curious, because i can't see how they would allow this without you being setup with cingular service.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    What's the experience with AT&T? While I would certainly like to unlock my 650, I'm more interested in unlocking myAT&T-locked Tungsten W so I can sell it. I had the T-W for two years.
    I managed to get my AT&T Treo 650 unlocked through Cingular. I got my phone in early February. I have been an AT&T customer for close to 10 years and have no intentnion of changing providers for now. I should also note that although this phone is my own and I am responsible for the bill, my foundation account is a business account from a very large corporation.

I wrote to simunlockcode@cingular.com on Friday and explained my European travel situation (they could check my records and see how much I am over there) and that I needed the phone unlocked. I also mentioned AT&T customer support said they couldn't unlock the phone but had referred me to Cingular and that I knew several customers that had already had this done.

The information I sent included:

Name:
    Cingular Account Number:
    Phone Number:
    Phone Type: Palm Treo 650
    IMEI:

This morning I had an e-mail stating my IMEI was missing some numbers. I corrected it and had the unlock code back within minutes. I am happy with the service I got nd even happier to have an unlocked phone.

The bottom line is that you can unlock an AT&T phone but you will have to talk Cingular into doing it. I had no luck with AT&T Wireless customer service. Also, They do need to be comfortable that you are not just going to take your subsidized phone to another carrier if they unlock it.
    Last edited by emuyshondt; 02/21/2005 at 11:45 AM.
    interesting. Cing refused to unlock my ATT 650 at least 6 times to date. Sent me the usual form letter saying it won't work. I don't have your "history" with them though.
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    interesting. Cing refused to unlock my ATT 650 at least 6 times to date. Sent me the usual form letter saying it won't work. I don't have your "history" with them though.
    the key piece of info from the above post is that he had an at&t business account. just another perk for users within the corporate realm, it seems.
    Emailing simunlockcode@cingular.com did not work for me. Their response was "Please call CS by dialing 611 on your cell phone. For security reasons, we do not provide these codes via email."

So I did what any frustrated customer should do. I called daily, for a week, until they gave me my subsidy unlock code [via email. LOL]
    My code was a 8 digit number. The instructions were press green phone button, enter *#*#<8 digit unlock code>#, than press dial.

I got back a message "The SIM lock has been removed from the phone"

The explaination with the unlock code said that the subsidy sim lock code that locked the phone to the Cingular Network will be removed following the above instructions.

I have a China Mobile account and I placed the SIM into my phone and it worked. It did not work before.
    i emailed simunlockcode@cingular.com and pretty much threatened to cancel within my 30 day trial period if did not recieve my code in 72 hours - told them i was going abroad in three days. got my code the next day....no questions asked

btw i have a 2 week old cingular 650, i was gonna switch, but i will be staying with them after this.
    I have a business account as well. Just many times smaller then his seems to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    the key piece of info from the above post is that he had an at&t business account. just another perk for users within the corporate realm, it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    That being said, could someone explain to me how Cingular knows who buys the locked version.
    I can't say for the Tre650, see my next post, for my old and now defective Tungsten W I bought in the UK it worked like this. Vodaphone in the UK shipped a branded T|W along with an SD Card with all their customization. Once you loaded the various software which came on the card including web browser, e-mail etc. the phone was locked and couldn't be used with other SIM cards.

I never user the card supplied and to this day my T|W will accept any SIM. So, the question to those who bought branded Cingular/Sprint 650's, especially those who used existing contracts rather got new ones, did you have to load any software from a card when you got the 650?
    Personally I think both Palm and Cingular are shooting themselves in the foot over the Treo 650. I live in London and have an office there. I also have an office in NY.

I am willing to buy a Tre650 while I'm here in the US at the new 699 unlocked price but can't get one. Assuming I could, I'd be willing to buy a Cingular pre-paid SIM, or if possible sign-up for a 1-year/2-year Cingular contract, assuming we can find a way to bill/pay for it.

A locked phone is no use. I have a working buisness SIM card, and a personal SIM from London, I currently use them interchangeably in my Palm Tungsten W which I've had for 4-years, and despite its many drawbacks and weaknesses has been great. I've been a great advert for Palm devices during that time using for loads of clever stuff both in person to person discussions, business meetings and even presenting at conferences using it. However, the T|W socket for the headset is now broken and I'm not prepared to pay (another) 125 USD/11UKP to get it repaired, it means I can no longer use the T|W for voice calls, even with the dumb headset. So I've taken to carrying around a Siemens SL55 for voice calls but still use the data/Internet via the T|W.

Now the real problem is while I'm in the US. As others have observed, calls using a UK SIM attract international roaming charges... worse still, when someone calls my UK number and gets me in the US, I have to pick-up their part of the cost for the transatlantic calls. Also crippling is dialing 1-800 numbers here in the US, a 1-hour call costs rediculous amounts... to resolve this I;ve resorted to using a Verizon CDMA pre-pay. Thei service sucks, coverage is good but the handset is junk and carrying 3-phones is too much for anyone, I recently lost it with 140 bucks of credit in San Diego. Verizon wouldn't help becuase its pre-pay and I wasnt calling from the phone... (that I'd lost).

Solution. Upgrade to a Treo 650. Get a US SIM card and just use voicemail for my UK calls. Palm won't even take orders over the phone anymore for unlocked orders. As of yesterday there wasn't even an option to talk to someone. As of today the Palm web site won't let you ship to a different address than your registered credit card.

I visited a Cingular Store... in fact three dealers... none of them will take responsibility as their part of the purchase agreement, to get the Treo 650 unlocked. Even if I pay the 599 for a non-activated one and a seperate contract using a colleagues US credit card they are just too dumb to understand the requirements of International travellers.

One of my UK based peers, and a German professional working in London recently had a debate about this at a cocktail party where they said they'd have EXACTLY this experience trying to buy a Treo 650 and I laughed and said I'd get it sorted... well I failed. How many high flyer, International travellers are Plam and Cingular losing with this failed customer service strategy.

Vendor lock-in has been dead for years... Palm are destined to become a dinosuar unless they change this strategy pretty quickly. Like the guys at the party, I'm going to spend some time now looking at practical Windows and blackberry alternatives.