Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 186
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    * Finally, if you do happen to get your hands on a treo 650 whether you bought it unlocked from palm or got a Cingular branded unlocked, Tmobile customer care is more than willing to help you get that device set up and fully compatible with the service.
    Mr. Truth,
    Please elaborate on this. How do you know that a tmobile customer service person would stay on the line with me, helping me setup their service on a phone they do not support? You use the words "fully compatible". Is that your statement or theirs? If Tmobile does not support or sell the Treo how can you say they would be willing to make sure their service is fully compatible?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  2. #82  
    I spent about 30 minutes on the phone Wednesday with a T-Mobile CSR, when I called to find out when my contract was up. Explained why I wanted the 650. He said they would help setup the 650, get the internet working, etc. The only thing they wouldn't do was repair/replace the phone. By the end of the call, to try to accomodate the extra cost of an unlocked 650 vs a subsidized 650, he had agreed to increase my minutes for the same monthly price and give me my 6th month free ($70 value) if I would stay for a year. Unfortunately I was still vascillating when P1 upped the price to $699. I don't think I have any real choice but to jump to Cingular.

    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Mr. Truth,
    Please elaborate on this. How do you know that a tmobile customer service person would stay on the line with me, helping me setup their service on a phone they do not support? You use the words "fully compatible". Is that your statement or theirs? If Tmobile does not support or sell the Treo how can you say they would be willing to make sure their service is fully compatible?
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    Mr. Truth,
    Please elaborate on this. How do you know that a tmobile customer service person would stay on the line with me, helping me setup their service on a phone they do not support? You use the words "fully compatible". Is that your statement or theirs? If Tmobile does not support or sell the Treo how can you say they would be willing to make sure their service is fully compatible?
    I know because there are thousands of Tmobile customers across the country that own and use non-supported devices with their service. Is Tmobile going to push them out and lose the opportunity to make profit?... hardly unlikely. I must add however, that the conversation I had was with a customer service representative in the Data group department that confirmed this. I was griping about Tmobile not carrying the 650 and she emphatically said that if I managed to somehow get my hands on one that they will be "more than willing to send you the necessary software to get your phone set up". But then again.. that was only one conversation so I cannot say that I know for sure what the process is.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    I know because there are thousands of Tmobile customers across the country that own and use non-supported devices with their service. Is Tmobile going to push them out and lose the opportunity to make profit?... hardly unlikely. I must add however, that the conversation I had was with a customer service representative in the Data group department that confirmed this. I was griping about Tmobile not carrying the 650 and she emphatically said that if I managed to somehow get my hands on one that they will be "more than willing to send you the necessary software to get your phone set up". But then again.. that was only one conversation so I cannot say that I know for sure what the process is.
    t-mobile can't provide you the subsidy unlock codes. they can however sms you the proper settings for SMS/MMS/WAP/EMAIL right onto your unlocked or unbranded treo 650. all you have to do is ask for the data group.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    * Finally, if you do happen to get your hands on a treo 650 whether you bought it unlocked from palm or got a Cingular branded unlocked, Tmobile customer care is more than willing to help you get that device set up and fully compatible with the service.
    Exactly.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Truth
    * First, YES it is possible to have the Cingular treo 650 unlocked by customer service. Its been verified multiple times through my contact at the company and several CSRs. Of course you must have a friend that has Cingular service to do this for you.
    I fortunately got my order in early and have an ulocked Treo waiting at $599. Maybe I'll get it some day. But *if* Cingular is unlocking T650 for customers then I'd get that instead and throw on the DUN hack. How when I called and asked they said they wouldn't unlock it. Other folks here are saying that they've been told by Cingular that they won't unlock it.

    So can anyone here CONFIRM That they PERSONALLY have gotten an unlock code out of Cingular for their T650?
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan

    So can anyone here CONFIRM That they PERSONALLY have gotten an unlock code out of Cingular for their T650?
    It may be too early to get an unlock code. Industry operating procedures seem to be that IF they give you an unlock code, it will be after a portion (or all) of your contract has been fulfilled...

    i.e. 6 months fom now
  8. #88  
    Ok here the deal,
    My friend own a cell phone store, he told me to go and buy a treo650(unbrand) on palm1 website for $699 and go go throught him and activate a 39.99 plan or a high on cingular, tmobile or Att (1 year require) and here will give me $200 rebate back( 90days). $699-$200= $499.

  9.    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by gsm20000
    Ok here the deal,
    My friend own a cell phone store, he told me to go and buy a treo650(unbrand) on palm1 website for $699 and go go throught him and activate a 39.99 plan or a high on cingular, tmobile or Att (1 year require) and here will give me $200 rebate back( 90days). $699-$200= $499.

    i'd wouldn't go through with that deal. the only mail-in-rebate out right now on the GSM 650 is through cingular, but that rebate does not extend beyond the cingular-branded 650's.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  10. WSW
    WSW is offline
    WSW's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    #90  
    Rick Steve's website implies that vendors in Europe may unlock your unlocked GSM phone for you. Can anyone confirm this?
  11. WSW
    WSW is offline
    WSW's Avatar
    Posts
    10 Posts
    #91  
    Rick Steve's website implies that vendors in Europe may unlock your unlocked GSM phone for you. Can anyone confirm this?
  12. #92  
    The only issue that I'm running into is the fact that you can't sign up for a plan without commiting to a contract.
    um, that's not true. You can buy a T650 from Cingular without committment to a contract. You pay $549 at the corporate store I went to today. Palm will charge you $699

    I did not ask, but I assumed if you pay full price and have no contract obligation, then the phone has to be unlocked
    Last edited by TonyH; 02/05/2005 at 11:26 PM.
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by WSW
    Rick Steve's website implies that vendors in Europe may unlock your unlocked GSM phone for you. Can anyone confirm this?
    unlock you unlocked phone? I know that's a typo, but I agree it is easy to unlock your phone in Europe.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers1
    It may be too early to get an unlock code. Industry operating procedures seem to be that IF they give you an unlock code, it will be after a portion (or all) of your contract has been fulfilled...

    i.e. 6 months fom now
    Huh? If you wanna travel to Europe with your spanking new T650 Cingular won't unlock it for you? Well, you can fix them by having it unlocked in Europe
  15. #95  
    I did not deal with Cingular for a long time, but they used to sell unlocked "world phones". I got a T637 and a Treo 600 from them, both unlocked.

    Did they change their policy after the AT&T merger? Locking the phones sucks and that's why never went with A&T.

    And of course, there's little choices left for GSM carriers...
  16. #96  
    It's stil a locked phone. We only sell 1 kind no matter how much you pay for it. I also believe while it would have no contract or obligation you must activate it on an existing account (with no obligation to extend your contract) or new account. You could even put it on a "Pre-Pay" account. While I know some stores might sell to someone without any account, as a general rule they don't usually do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    um, that's not true. You can buy a T650 from Cingular without committment to a contract. You pay $549 at the corporate store I went to today. Palm will charge you $699

    I did not ask, but I assumed if you pay full price and have no contract obligation, then the phone has to be unlocked
  17. #97  
    unfortunately, yes

    Quote Originally Posted by zehubert
    I did not deal with Cingular for a long time, but they used to sell unlocked "world phones". I got a T637 and a Treo 600 from them, both unlocked.

    Did they change their policy after the AT&T merger? Locking the phones sucks and that's why never went with A&T.

    And of course, there's little choices left for GSM carriers...
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
  18.    #98  
    here's some more info on subsidy unlocking directly from the palm website. particularly helpful is the very last bit regarding unlocking via a rom vs a subsidy unlock code: p1 support on subsidy unlocking
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  19. Biggles's Avatar
    Posts
    381 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #99  
    if it's locked, you can use the phone in other countries, but you'll be paying roaming charges since you have to use your SIM card. If it's unlocked, you can pick up a prepaid SIM card while travelling to make calls and it will be less expensive then roaming
    In addition, if someone rings you from home when you are abroad with your 'own' SIM, the caller only pays a local call charge to your 'home' network. You pay for the link between your home network and the network of the county where you are. This varies, but when I was in S Africa a few years ago and was called from home (the UK) I remember it worked out at around 3 (so nearly $6) a minute that went on my account.

    I don't know US carriers' various policies on locking phones but Vodafone in the UK don't lock theirs, though you still get a subsidy due to the fact you are locked into paying for a 12-month contract with no way out. This way I guess they don't need a lock (or need the hassle of people travelling Europe keep asking them to unlock their phones).
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    What law is that? I've had Cingular and ATTWS refuse to unlock phones. I know of no law requiring them to do so.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $no$ $law$ $about$ $locking$ $phones$ $and$ $in$ $fact$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $lawsuit$ $against$ $several$ $carriers$ $on$ $just$ $this$ $topic$. $See$ $my$ $web$ $page$ $for$ $details$ $including$ $a$ $link$ $to$ $the$ $lawsuit$: http://laserphernalia.com.

Posting Permissions