Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 186
  1. #61  
    Quick clarification question regarding the above info: if I currently have a 600 with T-Mobile sevice and I buy an unlocked 650, then I can just swap the SIM card out of my 600 and use in the unlocked 650 without any problems?
  2. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    That being said, could someone explain to me how Cingular knows who buys the locked version.
    Well, they know whoever buys the Cingular version either has a Cingular SIM or is starting a new Cingular contract, since you can't put any other SIM in the phone. If a Cingular 650 is sold, it's going to a Cingular customer (for now anyway, until someone figures out how to unlock the 650).
    When I ordered my Cingular branded 650 from P1 they never asked anything about my Cingular account number or my phone number. Granted, I opted not to get a new contract but I still got a discount over the unlocked version plus free overnight shipping.
    No need to ask for it if you're not getting a new contract. All you're going to do is pop in your SIM card from your existing Cingular phone.
  3. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by asteinla
    Quick clarification question regarding the above info: if I currently have a 600 with T-Mobile sevice and I buy an unlocked 650, then I can just swap the SIM card out of my 600 and use in the unlocked 650 without any problems?
    Yep, that's all you need to do.
  4. #64  
    $549
  5.    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    I understand the technical aspects of the locked vs unlocked comparison.

    That being said, could someone explain to me how Cingular knows who buys the locked version. When I ordered my Cingular branded 650 from P1 they never asked anything about my Cingular account number or my phone number. Granted, I opted not to get a new contract but I still got a discount over the unlocked version plus free overnight shipping.

    For me personally I just don't ever see needing the additional features of an unlocked phone.

    Am I missing something??????
    allow me to reiterate: if you buy the treo 650 from cingular, contract or no contract, know that it will be LOCKED to the cingular network. that's the reason why the cingular-branded 650 sold without contract is still cheaper than the unlocked 650 from P1; until it's hacked, you won't be able to use that treo on any other carrier other than cingular.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
  6. #66  
    Thanks, I understand.

    I'm still convinced that since there are no viable alternative carriers to Cingular in my area, I do not use DUN nor do I travel overseas; the locked version is the better choice for me.
  7. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    I'm still convinced that since there are no viable alternative carriers to Cingular in my area, I do not use DUN nor do I travel overseas; the locked version is the better choice for me.
    That's a good enough reason to get the Cingular version. There are tons of good reasons to get an unlocked phone, but if none of them apply to you, you will be well served with the Cingular version. I'd guess that 95% or more of Cingular customers haven't a clue about locked vs. unlocked and are still happy with their lives.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    Thanks, I understand.

    I'm still convinced that since there are no viable alternative carriers to Cingular in my area, I do not use DUN nor do I travel overseas; the locked version is the better choice for me.
    well, IMHO you should have gotten the 599 deal instead, with an additional 50bucks, you get yourself an unbranded treo 650 *no cingular startups or cingular apps*, higher resale value, and its UNLOCKED which mean you could sell it easily without having the trouble to unlock it first
  9. alee's Avatar
    Posts
    410 Posts
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    well, IMHO you should have gotten the 599 deal instead, with an additional 50bucks, you get yourself an unbranded treo 650 *no cingular startups or cingular apps*, higher resale value, and its UNLOCKED which mean you could sell it easily without having the trouble to unlock it first
    Too late for that though. I wish I had bought 20 unlocked ones instead of just 1... eBay would have been my best friend.
  10. #70  
    I understand the calling difference between the locked and unlocked when traveling overseas. If I get the locked version, I'm limited to Cingular plans...and if I get the unlocked, I can buy the country's local SIM.

    But my question is re: data. If I have a locked phone through Cingular and I also subscribe to DataWorks from P1, will I be charged roaming if I'm doing email on my phone or is it the same as using DataWorks in the states?

    The same question applies to the unlocked phone. If I have an unlocked phone and buy the country's local SIM, will the DataWorks fee be the same regardless of the SIM (U.S. or WW)?
  11. #71  
    Hi:

    I am currently using T600 who considers for upgrade. I used mine in Indonesia. I bought my T600 from Handspring by using my old Treo270 serial number. The phone came with Cingular logo. But I can use any indonesian sim card. Is this phone locked? Because it seems to me it is not as I can use other sim card.

    Now if I buy a locked cingular T650 from P1, can I use in Indonesia as the T600? I mean if this is the same lock as T600, i think it is basically unlocked.

    I did not use the phone for DUN at that time so I did not know if the phone was DUN locked or not ( mine is now the 4th replacement from Singapore which is unlocked)

    But different experience was when I bought my Tungsten W(TW) from ATTWS. At that time, I did not know that US phone was locked. When I got the phone I could not use it. After 3 months, I called the Palm Singapore and explained as it was. They just asked me to read out the serial number on the back on the phone and they told me that i can get unlocked replacement from Singapore. That was saved the day.
  12. #72  
    I am a Tmobile customer and have recently returned my junk treo 600 and bought a "locked" Cingular treo 650. But before the treo police comes fish-tailing around the corner lemme explain why I would do such a thing. First off I was fortunate that I had a friend in the company that was willing to sell me the 650 for dirt cheap. But for those who are contemplating the decision to do the same keep in mind a few things...

    * First, YES it is possible to have the Cingular treo 650 unlocked by customer service. Its been verified multiple times through my contact at the company and several CSRs. Of course you must have a friend that has Cingular service to do this for you.

    * Second, keep in mind that merely "unlocking" the 650 will not allow you complete access to the 650's features. The Cingular 650 "unlocked" will still prevent you from using the internet features which include browser, mail, and any third party messaging applications that utilize the Cingular network internet. In order to use the Cingular 650 flawlessly with another carrier you must have the internet settings reconfigured to your carriers settings.

    * Third, the price is now $699 unlocked at palmOne compared to $549 retail at Cingular.

    * Fourth, for those who have Tmobile and are interested in the 650, keep in mind that even if Tmobile does decide to carry the 650 (which is unlikely) it will not be for another 4-5 months. From what Ive heard from various sources, Tmobile will NOT carry the 650 in the future as they are working on an exclusive deal for the next generation treo.

    * Finally, if you do happen to get your hands on a treo 650 whether you bought it unlocked from palm or got a Cingular branded unlocked, Tmobile customer care is more than willing to help you get that device set up and fully compatible with the service.

    As a former treo 600 user I must say that in order to experience just how amazing the difference is between the 600 and 650 you need to go see it in person. Pictures do not do it justice.
  13. #73  
    This issue is complicated so I wonder why some people sometimes make it even more complicated than it is.

    For the vast majority buying an unlocked 650 is NOT worth it. Take that $250 or $350, enjoy all of it but save about $50 and buy a cheap unlocked world phone on Ebay when you plan on going overseas. That way you can buy a cheap overseas SIM for temporary use on your temporary phone and you can still have your Treo around if anybody needs to reach you at your "real" number. Yes its a little inconvenient to lug around 2 phones but its just for a little while and I think its worth $200 or $300.

    As for the other use of an unlocked phone.. switching between carriers.. That takes more consideration on someones part to see if that freedom is really worth the price. Factoring in that Cingular and Tmobile have a good history unlocking phones when requested to..

    Also if the T650 works anything like the 600, an unlocked model will work perfectly well with any carrier without you having to tinker with the internet settings. The phone does it automatically when you install the SIM. At least with T mobile it does.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultip
    This issue is complicated so I wonder why some people sometimes make it even more complicated than it is.

    For the vast majority buying an unlocked 650 is NOT worth it. Take that $250 or $350, enjoy all of it but save about $50 and buy a cheap unlocked world phone on Ebay when you plan on going overseas. That way you can buy a cheap overseas SIM for temporary use on your temporary phone and you can still have your Treo around if anybody needs to reach you at your "real" number. Yes its a little inconvenient to lug around 2 phones but its just for a little while and I think its worth $200 or $300.

    As for the other use of an unlocked phone.. switching between carriers.. That takes more consideration on someones part to see if that freedom is really worth the price. Factoring in that Cingular and Tmobile have a good history unlocking phones when requested to..

    Also if the T650 works anything like the 600, an unlocked model will work perfectly well with any carrier without you having to tinker with the internet settings. The phone does it automatically when you install the SIM. At least with T mobile it does.

    maybe to you its not worth it but at least to me, its worth every penny
    remember, those who upgraded thru cingy gets it @ 549 and its LOCKED, i ordered mine @ 599 UNLOCKED *well, at least, before the price increase *

    also, i don't like the fact that my phone is locked and the ROM being customised by cingy.

    i like my phone to be free from branding, other than the maker's, in this case palmOne not cingy
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by andri
    Hi:

    I am currently using T600 who considers for upgrade. I used mine in Indonesia. I bought my T600 from Handspring by using my old Treo270 serial number. The phone came with Cingular logo. But I can use any indonesian sim card. Is this phone locked? Because it seems to me it is not as I can use other sim card.

    Now if I buy a locked cingular T650 from P1, can I use in Indonesia as the T600? I mean if this is the same lock as T600, i think it is basically unlocked.

    I did not use the phone for DUN at that time so I did not know if the phone was DUN locked or not ( mine is now the 4th replacement from Singapore which is unlocked)

    But different experience was when I bought my Tungsten W(TW) from ATTWS. At that time, I did not know that US phone was locked. When I got the phone I could not use it. After 3 months, I called the Palm Singapore and explained as it was. They just asked me to read out the serial number on the back on the phone and they told me that i can get unlocked replacement from Singapore. That was saved the day.
    Check out:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(16778)

    Your Cingular T600 was not locked which is why you could use it in Indonesia. But the Cingular 650 it probably won't work with your local SIM
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    maybe to you its not worth it but at least to me, its worth every penny
    remember, those who upgraded thru cingy gets it @ 549 and its LOCKED, i ordered mine @ 599 UNLOCKED *well, at least, before the price increase *...
    Ordering through Cingular is 449 + a $50 rebate (which there is a question on whether it expired or not). If you open a new line, its only $349.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Ordering through Cingular is 449 + a $50 rebate (which there is a question on whether it expired or not). If you open a new line, its only $349.
    nah...i don't like to be pinned down by contract....
    349 and 2 years contract? no thank you
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    nah...i don't like to be pinned down by contract....
    349 and 2 years contract? no thank you
    I understand why some people would prefer to have the "option" of switching at will. Me, I've been with AT&T almost 10 years, and yes they suck at times, but so does everyone else at some point or another.

    With the premium some are paying for the "freedom" to switch you could pay the $175 cancellation fee and still have money left over for a nice dinner, IF you had to switch. If you travel internationally and want to do the sim swap thing, I guess there is some value, although I've heard of people buying a cheap $50 GSM phone to use in those ocassion (which for some may be a couple of times a year) and you are still ahead.

    Now if you want freedom to switch, ability to swap SIMS, DUN and hate carrier branding, then I guess the $600-700 unlocked phone is for you!!!
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Now if you want freedom to switch, ability to swap SIMS, DUN and hate carrier branding, then I guess the $600-700 unlocked phone is for you!!!

    yep
    been doing that for the past 10 years....
    the only branded phone that i've had was the samsung s105 from tmobile
    the rest? its unlocked
    well...i was cheated when i bought my treo 600, it was unlocked BUT attws firmware
  20.    #80  
    milo bloom tested the dialer patches for the cdma 650 and was able to get them working on his locked at&t GSM 650 without any hiccups. the patches include a few tweaks plus a choice of different radio on/off splash screens for those individuals that despise their cingular/at&t branded ones. there's even a treocentral.com version. for more info, check out the "patches" section at shadowmite.com
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions