Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong, but the ability to use a pre-paid SIM in other countries seems to be a bit of a mixed blessing. While the rates are certainly cheaper, you no longer have your original phone number, correct? So you then need to tell all your friends/family/business contacts your "new" number which of course is a long distance international call for them. I'm failing to see the convenience here, unless you planning to spend months in that country.
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    My old boss racked up $1500 in charges on a trip to China. He expensed it but got REAMED and then on his next trip if you called he said "Hey, I will call you back from a land line..."

Well the trick is if you don't have an unlocked world phone when travelling overseas you can always rent one here prior to your trip. I have done this on several occassions. It runs about $5-6 per day. Or you can always buy a cheap $100 unlocked world phone overseas or on Ebay....
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Someone please correct me if I've got this wrong, but the ability to use a pre-paid SIM in other countries seems to be a bit of a mixed blessing. While the rates are certainly cheaper, you no longer have your original phone number, correct? So you then need to tell all your friends/family/business contacts your "new" number which of course is a long distance international call for them. I'm failing to see the convenience here, unless you planning to spend months in that country.
    The convenience is being able to take advantage of local calling rates.

If you're in another country and the priority is keeping your number, and you don't mind the $2.99/min (or whatever it is) charge, then keep your carrier SIM in it. If you want to be able to call within the country you're in, such as hiring cars, making dinner reservations in town, calling local businesses, etc. you'll want the pre-paid SIM.
    This unlocked vs locked thread is really an eye-opener. Am currently a Treo 600 user thinking of moving to the 650. Not being a tech-savy as some of you, can someone explain what DUN is and what it means to me on the locked vs unlocked issue? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    here's the difference between locked & unlocked 650 & benefits!

locked:
    - cheaper as it is subsidised with price range of 399-549
    - DUN disabled , cingular might release this patch in the future as well, for now we have our in-house-engineer shadowmite for the DUN hack -it might be unstable, but hey, it works for now-
    - cingular/attws firmware, so when you startup the 650, there will be logo of cingular/attws *i know we can remove this, using our own customized skin BUT it will be always there when you hard reset the phone*
    - maybe some crapware is already in the ROM, its all thanks to cingular/attws!
    - available @ some retail stores, if you order from palmOne.com, won't be available for another 7-14 days *according to palmOne*
    - currently no unlock patch available -coming soon ?-
    - comes with contract

unlocked:
    - expensive @ 599
    - DUN enabled by default
    - pop in your current sim card, voila it works!
    - you can order now, but will be backordered and won't be available for another 7-14 days *according to palmOne*
    - no contract *yea baby, yea! this is the true meaning of GSM world!

anyone want to correct or add anything?

hope it helps

Can someone help me out with what DUN is and what it means to me? I'm thinking of upgrading from 600 to 650 (unlocked version) and want to do it right. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rrathjr
    Can someone help me out with what DUN is and what it means to me? I'm thinking of upgrading from 600 to 650 (unlocked version) and want to do it right. Thanks
    DUN=Dial up Networking. This would be using your phone as a modem to dial up the internet with your laptop. Slow, but it works.

Many people use this instead of a PC card because its convenient and the data plan charges are lower. An unlimited data plan for your laptop will run you around $50-$80 a month. That is why carriers disable DUN so you can't use your $15-$19 plan to connect your laptop and download megs and megs of stuff.

Me, personally, only need access to my email while I am on the road, and some news/weather sites. The treo itself would work fine and I have no need to use DUN. Your need for DUN will depend on your work routine and whether you are often in places with no access to a network or a dialup connection and you need to be connected.

Some folks have suggested that if you consistently abuse your $15 plan by using DUN that at some point the carrier will catch on and cut you off. I have never seen this happen, but it seems logical for me that if 99% of the people are using 1-2MB per month, some even 5-6, and someone is using 100MB per month, they should stick out like a sore thumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    The only issue that I'm running into is the fact that you can't sign up for a plan without commiting to a contract. So for me, since I do like Suckular's network even if their plans and CS are crap, it seems I'll end up with a contract anyway. So then I have to ask is unlocked phone (which I could use overseas but never seem to get a chance to do) + DUN worth the extra $250 (since I could get the Cingular Treo650 for 350). I haven't cancelled my order or anything but I'm still not 100% sold.
    I don't understand this. I thought you could always activate a GSM phone w/ Cingular w/o a contract, as long as you already own the phone and don't expect some kind of rebate/ subsidy.

Also, where can you get a GSM650 for $350? They retail for $550 and Cing gives you a $100 off for a 1-year rebate. Where's the other $100 off coming from?

What I want to know is, if I pay $600 to PalmOne for an unbranded 650, is there any way I can get money back from Cingular if I activate a new account and sign a contract?
    You can get a GSM 650 for $350 (after rebate) right here on Treo Central - I just ordered mine! Woo hoo!
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    I don't understand this. I thought you could always activate a GSM phone w/ Cingular w/o a contract, as long as you already own the phone and don't expect some kind of rebate/ subsidy.

Also, where can you get a GSM650 for $350? They retail for $550 and Cing gives you a $100 off for a 1-year rebate. Where's the other $100 off coming from?

What I want to know is, if I pay $600 to PalmOne for an unbranded 650, is there any way I can get money back from Cingular if I activate a new account and sign a contract?
    the assumption is that he's NOT currently using cingular. if he opts for the cingular-branded 650, then the phone is cheaper by $250, BUT he then would need a cingular rate plan, which more or less requires a minimum 1-year contract. if he eats the $250 in savings, then he can go for the unbranded, unlocked, uncrippled DUN treo 650 directly from palm, sans the 1-year commitment with cingular, and then use any gsm carrier under the sun.

and no, the discounts and rebates for the handset are only applicable to treo 650's branded to and purchased directly through cingular.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    ok, here's an update about the price of an unlocked Treo 650, palmOne has raised it to $699USD awhile ago!!!!
    What in the heck is going on at P1. $699? They're crazy! Folks are here now asking if the $250 premium for an unlocked T650 is worth it, and they're busy making the premium $350?
    I think I might have been the last person to order it at $599. I called the 800# listed on their site and was asking a rep the question i asked above: can I get anything back if I buy and unbranded and sign a contract. "No, and it's $699" "Are you sure? You're website says $599" "That's a mistake; they're changing it" "Really? maybe I should hang up and order from the site" "Maybe you should."

I hung up and immediately ordered one. Order placed at 6:21. Wow. A rep who knew what he was talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by ojleblanc
    What in the heck is going on at P1. $699? They're crazy! Folks are here now asking if the $250 premium for an unlocked T650 is worth it, and they're busy making the premium $350?
    this is the price...of waiting
    and the price of becoming early adopter...
    As of 6:06pm I ordered my unlocked 650 for $599.00.
    Not that I am gloating or anything, just doing the happy dance that I am not beholden to the idiots at ATT/Cingular who couldn't make up their minds on how to screw me best. It should be interesting to see what P1 does now.

Anyone know if Cingular will let you get insurance on an UNLOCKED 650?

Mark
    Cingular doesn't sell insurance for any smartphones, locked or not.
    Will unlocking a Cingular Treo automatically enable DUN?
    I understand the technical aspects of the locked vs unlocked comparison.

That being said, could someone explain to me how Cingular knows who buys the locked version. When I ordered my Cingular branded 650 from P1 they never asked anything about my Cingular account number or my phone number. Granted, I opted not to get a new contract but I still got a discount over the unlocked version plus free overnight shipping.

For me personally I just don't ever see needing the additional features of an unlocked phone.

Am I missing something??????
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead71
    Will unlocking a Cingular Treo automatically enable DUN?
    i doubt it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    I understand the technical aspects of the locked vs unlocked comparison.

That being said, could someone explain to me how Cingular knows who buys the locked version. When I ordered my Cingular branded 650 from P1 they never asked anything about my Cingular account number or my phone number. Granted, I opted not to get a new contract but I still got a discount over the unlocked version plus free overnight shipping.

For me personally I just don't ever see needing the additional features of an unlocked phone.

Am I missing something??????
    most likely you'll get cingular branded phone, how much did you get it for?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast