Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    One last question on unlocked vs. locked:

Once you purchase a locked phone there is no way to unlock it? I'm assuming there are no Shadowmite type "hacks" out there to get around this.
    Depending on the phone there are sometimes ways of getting them unlocked. I'm pretty sure a locked 600 can be unlocked. (I assume places that do this charge a fee.) However until someone proves they can unlock a 650 don't assume it will happen. The lock may be different than the one on the 600 and prove a more difficult challenge. (Although usually any locking mechanism can eventually be cracked, whether it's phones, car doors, software protection, or bank vaults.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    If one was going to purchase a locked phone, is there any reason i SHOULDN'T order it from Treo Central? I can get it $349 + $20 mediaworks...

Am i missing something?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers1
    If one was going to purchase a locked phone, is there any reason i SHOULDN'T order it from Treo Central? I can get it $349 + $20 mediaworks...

Am i missing something?
    none at all. go for it
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    Once you purchase a locked phone there is no way to unlock it? I'm assuming there are no Shadowmite type "hacks" out there to get around this.
    Unlocking either requires a hack, or an unlock friendly carrier.

For instance, provided you have been a T-Mobile customer for a few months, T-Mobile has always been willing to unlock their phones if you wanted to use their phones overseas. Prior to the AT&T Wireless merger with Cingular, the official AT&T poilcy was no unlocking, period. From what I've been told, Cingular has typically carried unlocked phones, but post-merger they appear to have adopted AT&T's policies.

I would not buy a locked phone that did not have a surefire way of being unlocked. Also, for what it's worth, unlocked phones are worth far more on eBay vs. a carrier locked phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by steelers1

Am i missing something?
    Well from what I've read here the issue is whether or not Cingular is going to allow the Treo to have the Mediaworks plan. Its seems like you have to go in through a side door to get it.

1) Order via P1 or TreoCentral
    2) Trick a CSR into giving it to you.
    3) Get no data plan and add Mediaworks online afterwords.

In my opinion this is just Cingular being very deceptive about what customers should do. They believe that most Treo 650 customers are business users that will just get the data plan and not think twice about it. Honestly its making me think twice about placing an order.
    Cingular claims they'll unlock it for you, and unlike TMo, there's no waiting period. That's a claim, remember though. Don't know that anyone here's reported it being done yet. Also, there's a website called http://www.unlockitnow.com. They unlock phones for $10. I'm sure the T650 is not yet on that site though.

Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Unlocking either requires a hack, or an unlock friendly carrier.

For instance, provided you have been a T-Mobile customer for a few months, T-Mobile has always been willing to unlock their phones if you wanted to use their phones overseas. Prior to the AT&T Wireless merger with Cingular, the official AT&T poilcy was no unlocking, period. From what I've been told, Cingular has typically carried unlocked phones, but post-merger they appear to have adopted AT&T's policies.

I would not buy a locked phone that did not have a surefire way of being unlocked. Also, for what it's worth, unlocked phones are worth far more on eBay vs. a carrier locked phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    during our training for the switch from at&t --> cingular, we were advised that any at&t customer currently out of contract that wants to migrate over to cingular would not be forced into starting up a new contract. instead, said customer could take on a comparable rate plan that would include less minutes. ex: in illinois, the $39.99 national plan gives you 450 anytime w/rollover, 5000 night + weekend minutes, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile. the non-contracted version would give you about 100 less anytime minutes per month.

also, cingular doesn't carry the unlocked 650. only palm does.
    What about if I wanted to go with a plan that is more compareable? I was willing to pay for the $49.99 plan, for example. Would I be able to get that and the Media Works without a contract?

And I know only P1 sells the unlocked phone...I just have to decide how much that is worth to me if I end up with a contract...
    Quote Originally Posted by JoaoPauzaoNYC
    Also, there's a website called http://www.unlockitnow.com. They unlock phones for $10. I'm sure the T650 is not yet on that site though.

are you sure its $10

http://www.unlockitnow.com/treo/treo_600_unlock.php

Price: $75 USD / 59 Euros / 39 GBP

unlock it later for free @ mytreo.net!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    are you sure its $10

http://www.unlockitnow.com/treo/treo_600_unlock.php

unlock it later for free @ mytreo.net!
    No, you're right. I stand corrected. I had recalled it being $10 but then checked it after I posted. Much higher. I have an old TMo Motorola that I wanted to unlock for backup use (if I don't want to carry my Treo, e.g.), but they don't list that phone. Ah well, not a perfect service.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    One last question on unlocked vs. locked:

afaikafaikafaik, $it$ $is$ $required$ $by$ $law$ $that$ $you$ $can$ $get$ $the$ $unlock$ $code$ $from$ $the$ $carrier$..

let me say this again

YES, YOU CAN UNLOCK, IT'S EASY, IT'S FREE, AND THEY HAVE TO DO IT IF YOU ASK.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ
    afaikafaikafaik, $it$ $is$ $required$ $by$ $law$ $that$ $you$ $can$ $get$ $the$ $unlock$ $code$ $from$ $the$ $carrier$..

let me say this again

errrrrrrrrr....you can't do this a while back, if you're with ATTWS
    its a known fact that they will NOT unlock their phone for any reason. no idea which policy that Cingular is adopting, stand by their own policy or ATTWS policy

edit: seems like cingular is adopting attws policy, read a few post back by alee
    Not...Cingular will unlock it. Read a few posts back.

Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    errrrrrrrrr....you can't do this a while back, if you're with ATTWS
    its a known fact that they will NOT unlock their phone for any reason. no idea which policy that Cingular is adopting, stand by their own policy or ATTWS policy

edit: seems like cingular is adopting attws policy, read a few post back by alee
    Quote Originally Posted by JoaoPauzaoNYC
    Not...Cingular will unlock it. Read a few posts back.
    hopefully....
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    What about if I wanted to go with a plan that is more compareable? I was willing to pay for the $49.99 plan, for example. Would I be able to get that and the Media Works without a contract?

And I know only P1 sells the unlocked phone...I just have to decide how much that is worth to me if I end up with a contract...
    yes, but you would instead get less anytime minutes [probably 100 less] than if you signed up with the $49.99 on a one year contract.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w

let me say this again

What law is that? I've had Cingular and ATTWS refuse to unlock phones. I know of no law requiring them to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0tes
    yes, but you would instead get less anytime minutes [probably 100 less] than if you signed up with the $49.99 on a one year contract.
    And that's what is making it hard for me to decide if I *really* want the Treo directly from PalmOne. The reasons I thought I wanted it were:

Unlocked - But they can unlock the 600 so I will assume it's just a matter of time before they unlock the 650.
    DUN - That's already been hacked. Although some people say it's not that stable but if it's not then I am sure it will continue to improve.
    No contract - However to get a plan on Cingular that isn't total rapeage I need to make a commitment anyway.

So the question is if I get a Treo and plan to stay with Cingular then is it worth the extra $250 (assuming I get the $449 price and the $100 rebate vs. the $599 I've paid for with P1)? What am I getting for my money? I suppose getting DUN and non-hacked out of the box are nice, and if I go with TMo then I'm all set, but it still makes me wonder...$250 is a lot.
    Buy the phone unlocked.

There is no reason to believe that the carrier will unlock the phone for you.

That said, some carriers are better that others...

1) TMobile has a policy of unlocking a phone on request after you have proven thet you pay your bills. With my Treo 270, they could not unlock the phone so they sent me a new one that they could unlock.

2) Historically, Cingular has sold unlocked phones. This is changing. The new Treo 650 is locked. There is no history or published policy of how Cingular will handle this in the future.

If you are ever thinking about changing carriers, buy the phone unlocked. This makes your phone independent of the carrier...

Quote Originally Posted by JakiChan
    And that's what is making it hard for me to decide if I *really* want the Treo directly from PalmOne. The reasons I thought I wanted it were:

Unlocked - But they can unlock the 600 so I will assume it's just a matter of time before they unlock the 650.
    DUN - That's already been hacked. Although some people say it's not that stable but if it's not then I am sure it will continue to improve.
    No contract - However to get a plan on Cingular that isn't total rapeage I need to make a commitment anyway.

So the question is if I get a Treo and plan to stay with Cingular then is it worth the extra $250 (assuming I get the $449 price and the $100 rebate vs. the $599 I've paid for with P1)? What am I getting for my money? I suppose getting DUN and non-hacked out of the box are nice, and if I go with TMo then I'm all set, but it still makes me wonder...$250 is a lot.
    Sorry, you're totally wrong. If there was such a law, it would have to be a Federal law. I believe there is/was a class action trying to do just that but I haven't heard anything on it's progress (or lack of).

let me say this again

NO, YOU CAN NOT FORCE A CARRIER TO UNLOCK THE DO NOT HAVE TO DO IT IF YOU ASK

I wonder where people come up with all these things they allegedly "know."

let me say this again

Just to add a bit more to the above message. These class action suits are in various statefederal courts. If the plaintiff wins it would only affect that state. It would have to be made a law by the FCC (or Congress I assume) to make it nationwide.

Here are some articles (Googled: class action unlock cell phones):

http://www.thefeature.com/article?ar...18&ref=5463302
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4416003/
    http://www.legalnewswatch.com/news_362.html
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast