Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    While I'm waiting for the unlocked 650 to arrive, I have 2 questions:

Can the Treo 650...
    1. ... operate without the battery installed -- just plugged in, but no battery in the compartment?

2. ... operate without a SIM installed?

Thanks.
    1. i doubt it
    2. yes
    Surprisingly, it will work without the battery. Sort of.

I just took my battery out, then plugged it into my BoxWave Sync 'n' Charge cable. It immediately did a soft reset (even before I pushed any buttons, then came up with a warning that my battery was almost dead and the phone would shut down in 29 seconds.

But after the message went away, the phone stayed powered up, and everything seems to work normally, exept the phone and the touch screen. I can connect to vision, but it won't actually dial a phone call. And I can navigate the screen using the 5 way, but tapping on-screen buttons or icons does nothing.

Yes, everything works normally after putting the battery back in.

I'll have to try tonight with a regular AC adapter. It may put out more current than the USB charge cable, which might let the other functions work.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Thanks meyerweb... trying to work out a strategy to be able to play with the 650 out of the box (if it ever comes) without worrying about whether I'm properly charging the battery the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Thanks meyerweb... trying to work out a strategy to be able to play with the 650 out of the box (if it ever comes) without worrying about whether I'm properly charging the battery the first.
    My battery was about 65% full when I got it on Monday
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    My battery was about 65% full when I got it on Monday
    Yeah, mine too.

Alee: Just go ahead and put in the battery and hook it up to the charger. It'll work fine, and the battery will still charge, just a little more slowly.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.