1. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Hello,

I am off to Florence, Italy with my wife and kids in two weeks. Hopefully my Treo 650 makes it here in time for the trip. My question is what power adapter will I need so I can charge the Treo in our hotel in Florence? Is there a single adapter I can get that will work with all my mobile devices - digital camera, gameboy, and pocket PC? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    Hello,

I am off to Florence, Italy with my wife and kids in two weeks. Hopefully my Treo 650 makes it here in time for the trip. My question is what power adapter will I need so I can charge the Treo in our hotel in Florence? Is there a single adapter I can get that will work with all my mobile devices - digital camera, gameboy, and pocket PC? Thanks in advance for your help.
    You just need an adaptor that uses the standard european outlets. The one with 2 round plugs at the end. In some older hotels they have outlets with 3 round plugs, but almost all now have the same outlets that you find in france and germany.
    Is your TREO GSM or CDMA?
    Semper Fi
    If you want a free IPod click Free IPod

4. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    GSM unlocked from PalmOne.
    I *think* the adapter that comes with the Treo will auto adjust to 100 - 220 volts (I'll check mine tonight and get back to you), so you'll only need a plug adapter for that. I got a set at Target that included 4 or 5 different adapters for $10.

But make sure all your other adapters will work on 220 volts. If not, you'll need an adapter set that includes a transformer to step the voltage down to 110. Plugging a 110 volt device into a 220 volt socket can be entertaining, but is not recommended for any product you want to use again <g>.

Also note that some of the more modern hotels have a 110 volt outlet in the bathroom, labeled "electric razors only." They work fine for small electronic devices, too.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02/03/2005 at 10:18 AM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    How long will you be in Italy? Are you considering buying a new SIM card over there? It you are going to be there for a few weeks, or going to make alot of calls, it may be the best move. You can buy a SIM card and a bunch of minutes at just about any news stand in Europe (plus, many of them will unlock GSM phones for you on the spot).

Good luck!
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
  7. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1
    How long will you be in Italy? Are you considering buying a new SIM card over there? It you are going to be there for a few weeks, or going to make alot of calls, it may be the best move. You can buy a SIM card and a bunch of minutes at just about any news stand in Europe (plus, many of them will unlock GSM phones for you on the spot).

Good luck!
    Thanks. We will be there for one week. I will probably get a prepaid SIM. Can I get data as well as voice with a prepaid SIM? I have Cingular service and I need to find out if I can roam internationally and what it will cost if I decide to go with my existing SIM.
    dear treouser,

this tread arise an other question:

i plan to go next year for 2-3 month cross the states
    can i use my treo 600 ( i hope i have at that time my gsm treo 650 in hand ) during this trip ?
    this device run on a gsn sim card from d2/vodafon,it will be optimal when i still can use my excisting telefonnumber.

i try to ship my own "mini cooper classic" (bmw parts free) across,is
    someone beetwen who use the becker travel pilot nav ? will this european gps system work?
    ok i know,a cd nav must be bought.

i lot of questions from germany.

regards
    dieter
  9. ceb
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    Dieter; du musst einen vertrag mit einer us telefirma abschliessen oder von t-mobile dir eine us sim-karte besorgen.

becker travel pilot nimms wahrscheinlich die gleichen dvd's wie blaupunkt aber ich glaube kaum dass es "plug und play" ist.

ein temporaerer import von automobiles ist ziemlich teuer - du kannst mir offline schreiben fuer details.
    Cheers

Charles
    Most hotels have U.S. 110V power outlets in the bathroom for shavers. Provided you have the right plug adapter (60c at Radioshack) you should be fine.