1.    #1  
    Well, the GSM crowd has been so vocal that I got sold on the benefits of GSM. For one thing I can swap SIMS between an expensive PDA/Phone and a cheap phone.

I brought a Motorola v551 at a Cingular store for an incredible price of $49 based on hagling and showing online dealer prices. I got a free essential accessory kit with it valued at $34.95, and signed up for the MEdia Works for $19.95 along with my new Rollover national voice plan.

Since I'm a former Treo650 owner I decided not to get a T650. Instead I may either order an SX66 pocket PC phone, similar to my Sprint PPC6601 but with built-in WiFi, or I may even wait longer for a better Palm or PPC phone to use as my primary business and metro phone, while keeping the v551 for rough terrain, including yard work, hiking, going to the ball game, etc.

Amazingly that little Motorola v551 is both EDGE enabled and Bluetooth 1.1 enabled. My Moto HS810 headset paired with it instantly, and so did my PPC6601. Now all I need is a blutooth dongle for my laptop, and I'll be all set with BT DUN, and wireless sync.

Oh, the agony of being a part-time geek
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Well, the GSM crowd has been so vocal that I got sold on the benefits of GSM. For one thing I can swap SIMS between an expensive PDA/Phone and a cheap phone.

I brought a Motorola v551 at a Cingular store for an incredible price of $49 based on hagling and showing online dealer prices. I got a free essential accessory kit with it valued at $34.95, and signed up for the MEdia Works for $19.95 along with my new Rollover national voice plan.

Since I'm a former Treo650 owner I decided not to get a T650. Instead I may either order an SX66 pocket PC phone, similar to my Sprint PPC6601 but with built-in WiFi, or I may even wait longer for a better Palm or PPC phone to use as my primary business and metro phone, while keeping the v551 for rough terrain, including yard work, hiking, going to the ball game, etc.

Amazingly that little Motorola v551 is both EDGE enabled and Bluetooth 1.1 enabled. My Moto HS810 headset paired with it instantly, and so did my PPC6601. Now all I need is a blutooth dongle for my laptop, and I'll be all set with BT DUN, and wireless sync.

Oh, the agony of being a part-time geek
    Congrats on being a GSM Convert. Treo turned me geek, I can relate. Not putting anything down, ask at your Cingular store their feeling about Treo 650 vs. SX66.
    I also purchased a V551, as a stopgap EDGE phone until my 650 arrives. I bought it through Amazon and got it for -$20 after the rebate. You might want to check there and see if you can get a better deal.

A few warnings about the V551: the Bluetooth stack seems a bit flakey, I hate the phonebook "app", and the EDGE radio is class 4 as opposed to the Treo 650's class 10. Generally speaking, though, it's a decent phone.
    Since I'm a former Treo650 owner I decided not to get a T650. Instead I may either order an SX66 pocket PC phone, similar to my Sprint PPC6601 but with built-in WiFi
    Gasp! Mods, quick! move this to another forum, or I may faint!

Seriously now, I am going to scrounge around my local Cing. stores today for a locked 650. However, has anyone seen an SX66s lately? They were there, then gone from the Cing. web sites.
    I too have the v551 until my T650 arrives, got it for $49 plus $100 in mail-in rebates ( I"ll make 50 bucks on the phone, not bad at all considering it's feature set )

I have bluetooth on my laptop, also have media works, internet access on my laptop anywhere at any time of the day, any day of the week is freaking sweet.

Make sure and get mobile phone tools! You fully unleash your phones BT with this app, it's pretty awesome...especially to someone migrating from CDMA and the crippled nonsense of verizon.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimf
    I also purchased a V551, as a stopgap EDGE phone until my 650 arrives. I bought it through Amazon and got it for -$20 after the rebate. You might want to check there and see if you can get a better deal.

A few warnings about the V551: the Bluetooth stack seems a bit flakey, I hate the phonebook "app", and the EDGE radio is class 4 as opposed to the Treo 650's class 10. Generally speaking, though, it's a decent phone.
    Well, it was kind of sad to learn later from the different forums that the v551 is Edge class 4, not 10, but since this is going to be only my backup phone mainly for voice calls I guess I can live with that. As for Amazon, I looked at their $150 rebate. You have to wait till you sunmit your fully paid 180 and 210 days to get it. By then I'll forget I have a rebate coming. I got mine $200 instant savings (oroginal $249). So I walked out the store with a credot card receipt of $49+tax
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Congrats on being a GSM Convert. Treo turned me geek, I can relate. Not putting anything down, ask at your Cingular store their feeling about Treo 650 vs. SX66.
    cg, I actually know enough about the SX66. It is identical to my PPC6601, except it is GSM and comes with built-in WiFi. But this time I need to investigate the EDGE class and make sure it is 10. Otherwise I'll keep shopping and waiting. I got a drawer full of PDA's to keep me a busy geek for a while
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MFizzel
    Make sure and get mobile phone tools! You fully unleash your phones BT with this app, it's pretty awesome...especially to someone migrating from CDMA and the crippled nonsense of verizon.
    Yeah, I've been reading about phonetools at the Motorola talk forum. I'll probably get it soon.

As for the expensive PDA/Phone I still want to get I probably need to find me a way to unlock it, depending on whether it comes from someone other than Cingular. I know I've seen ads online for dealers or hackers who will do it, but I prefer to have the codes myself and do it if possible.
    cg, I actually know enough about the SX66. It is identical to my PPC6601, except it is GSM and comes with built-in WiFi. But this time I need to investigate the EDGE class and make sure it is 10. Otherwise I'll keep shopping and waiting. I got a drawer full of PDA's to keep me a busy geek for a while
    I didn't think the SX66 had EDGE at all, just plain old GPRS. (The SX66 is aka the pda2k right? It's so confusing when the same product has 10 different names.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers