1.    #1  
    Hello,

Cingular offers several data plans, one of them is unlimited for phones, another unlimited plan for PDA, and another one for laptops. What I'm trying to understand is: how can Cingular detect if the data stream is coming from a laptop connected to the Treo via Bluetooth, or the Treo itself? Also, if I get a simple GSM phone with the unlimited data for phone, and buy an unlocked Treo 650 and insert the SIM card from the Cingular phone into the unlocked Treo, how can Cingular find out that I'm accessing the Internet via the phone they sold me or the Treo, or even a laptop that I hook to the Treo?

Thanks,
    Martha
    I believe data access can be detected by which port on the phone it is going through. For instance, data transferred through the port on the bottom of the phone is different than data transferred over BT.

I'm not sure this is true, but it would make sense for wireless carriers to be able to monitor how much their customers use DUN (dial-up networking).

Although I'm not as familiar with GSM networks as I am with CDMA, I'd be willing to bet that the physical phone you are using somehow communicates with the network. For instance, the phone number is tied to the SIM card, but the phone communicates its electronic identifier with the signal.

Keep in mind, this is just a guess. Hope it helps.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    The short answer is they can't tell the difference. There is no way to distinguish between DUN traffic and direct phone-to-Internet access.

The more involved answer has to do with Internet use metrics. For instance, if your monthly traffic exceeds 1GB/month, chances are you aren't using your cell phone to do this via a WAP browser, and you more than likely aren't using it on a PDA phone. As with most "all you can eat" plans, whether it be for cable modem or wireless data, you have to abuse it to draw attention. Once you draw attention, then your use gets analyzed and per the terms of service, they can revoke your contract at any time.

That said, the guideline is "don't draw attention to yourself". Occasional heavy use isn't a red flag -- i.e. if you're bored one day and end up burning 150mb of data sitting in the airport lounge killing time because your flight is cancelled, it's not the end of the world. If you are using 150mb/day, you might draw some attention. From there it's the carrier's discretion.
    The use of DUN on cell phones is usually reserved for when you're on the road and unable to access the internet with your PDA/phone. But remember that DUN throughput is extremely slow. It is afer all a dialup. Some reported on other forum as low as 19kbps. This is slower than your built in dialup modem in your laptop of 56k.

The fastest I could connect via DUN with my PPC6601 was 82kbps on Sprint's 1xrtt CDMA network. With vision and my PPC I usually connect at 130-142kbps.

Some people mistake their port connection speed (230 kbps) with the actual throughput. They post happily they connected at 230kbps. Obviously they did not try to browse and download. LOL
  5.    #5  
    So what's the EDGE network then? It's been advertized as fast Internet access fro GSM.
    I think all the jargon being tossed got you a little confused. I'll simplify:

Currently in most places GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) is the data network for GSM phones. EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution ) is an enhanced GPRS data network, aka 3G. To take advantage of EDGE speed of up to 200kbps you gotta use a class 10 phone and subscribe to the carrier's data plan. You simply click your web icon and you're in business.

DUN or dialup networking, generally not supported or encouraged by cellular carriers, is a different animal. Here you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect your laptop or desktop computer to the internet. You will not get EDGE speed, not GPRS speed that way. And excessive use may alert the carrier and they will first warn you and later charge you big $$ for excessive use.
    But, here's what I don't understand (I posted this at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=71513 as well). Assuming you don't overuse it in any particular month to avoid getting "audited," when you connect your laptop through BT to the T650, are you using voice minutes?

I am awaiting my Treo 650 from Cingular. However, I do not want to purchase the data plan because I want to use the ISP provided by my company. Also, my company will pay for the voice minutes, but won't pay for a separate data plan. I know it will be much slower than using the data plan (ala 19 kbs), but I would really only use it in tough situations (e.g., stranded for a few hours in an airport without access).

I use AT&T Net Dialer on my computer to access my corporate account. However, I constantly get stuck in airports from flight delays and want to access the Internet through my laptop - not my Treo. I basically want to use the Treo as a wireless modem using Bluetooth (ala shadowmite), but want to use my AT&T Net Dialer on my computer, thus using the minutes from my voice plan.

I'm told that I can do this by using the Treo as a virtual modem. Here are the instructions I received:

1. Go into preferences
    2. Choose network
    3. New
    4. Put in ISP phone number, user name, password
    5. Choose advanced menu
    6. Put in DNS servers

Now, having said that, my dialer (i.e., AT&T Net Dialer) contains all of the login information, so now I'm thinking that these directions won't work (i.e., because the dialer needs to use that information to do the handshake).

Has anyone tried anything like this? Thanx.

- B.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.loveisearned.com<O</O
    Instant Messenger:<O</O
    AOL: brilovett, MSN: blovett@chicagogsb.edu, Yahoo: bm_lovett
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    www.loveisearned.com<O</O
    Instant Messenger:<O</O
    AOL: brilovett, MSN: blovett@chicagogsb.edu, Yahoo: bm_lovett