Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I've tried searching through the forums for all the items I think I'll need as a new Treo owner. I will use my Treo mostly on the go. Having car adapters is a secondary benefit that I would consider after getting everything else. Here's what I've brainstormed:

a. belt-loop case or something very reliable to carry it around with me
    b. Boxwave screen protectors, which I hear are very good
    c. car charger
    d. quality headphones that won't require a 2nd mortgage
    e. wireless Bluetooth headset that doesn't make one appear as they just stepped off the Buck Rogers stage set
    f. Mac cradle/adapter
    g. software that is necessary and that you HAVE to pay for
    h. anything else you can think of

Many thanks in advance! Links to items you strongly like are appreciated.
    you will find this out, but one thing that would be helpful , put an uninstaller program on before you start loading up programs. not sure of link, i think there is a freebie at palm (dont hold me to that). search on here for uninstaller.

second, get the pocket tunes, it costs, but well worth it. it offers streaming audio through shoutcast (real world limited to stations 48kbs, but there are some good ones in mono).

i bought a second charger to have at work, i stream audio and have it plugged into my PC speakers so i can listen to shoutcast all day (my work frowns on people listening to the radio over their network).

i also bought the screen protector sheets from palm, 19 bucks for a pack.

i have yet to try avantgo, and snapper, but heard those are good.

good luck, and welcome to the family.
    Treo 650 user since 1/05
    Favorite app. = Pocket Tunes (Streaming audio through Shoutcast.com ).
    Patience!!!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Programs:
    fonts4os5
    agendus
    palmbibleplus
    splashmoney
    bdicty
    plucker
    clippro
    butler
    powerrun

just a few

L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    A Hammer and a chisel
    It's going to need some serious working, and you will have plenty moments of frustrations
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    A Hammer and a chisel
    It's going to need some serious working, and you will have plenty moments of frustrations
    Come on, you have to have your eye on some nice accessories for when the evil PalmOne finally liberates all the boxed unbranded 650's being held captive around the world!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Come on, you have to have your eye on some nice accessories for when the evil PalmOne finally liberates all the boxed unbranded 650's being held captive around the world!
    FREE THE TREO!!!!!!
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    Okay, here is my hardware list.

- SENA Magnetic flip case.
    - Screen protector old one for T600.
    - SE HBH -600 BT Headset.
    -Car charger.
    -No cradle.
    -Stereo headphones for MP3.
    - Extra battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Okay, here is my hardware list.

- SENA Magnetic flip case.
    - Screen protector old one for T600.
    - SE HBH -600 BT Headset.
    -Car charger.
    -No cradle.
    -Stereo headphones for MP3.
    - Extra battery.
    Why the old t600 screen protector?

L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    a. belt-loop case or something very reliable to carry it around with me
    b. Boxwave screen protectors, which I hear are very good
    c. car charger
    d. quality headphones that won't require a 2nd mortgage
    e. wireless Bluetooth headset that doesn't make one appear as they just stepped off the Buck Rogers stage set
    f. Mac cradle/adapter
    g. software that is necessary and that you HAVE to pay for
    h. anything else you can think of
    d. seidio's are fine. just buy two so you can have a spare when your return one for replacement.
    e. doesnt exist. sorry. look at the bluetooth section, plenty of opinions.
    f. same cradle works for pc and mac. go to ebay. dan cellular. you either love him or hate him. for me, he takes too long and doesnt answer email, but i got my 600 cradle for cheap.
    g. i'm not going to start a holy war here. get yourself and email client and a IM client. now if you dont do either, never mind. but if you do, try out the many options. as someone else said, ptunes. i dont think anything else comes close. try the calander function, if you need more try some replacments, there are several. get some games.
    h. insurance for the phone. it does come with one year warranty, but doesnt cover glass breakage.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    h. insurance for the phone. it does come with one year warranty, but doesnt cover glass breakage.
    Thanks for the info! Where can I get insurance?

I really didn't want to have to spend a lot of money going through BT headsets. Is there a premier website that rates them with customer feedback?

Also, how is the E&B Copilot Case for Treo 600/650 at http://store.treocentral.com/content...s/4-25--87.htm ?
    Win Palm... when you need to access your PC on the road.
    Why the cradle? Just get a bluetooth adapter for you PC and sync that way. Sure it takes longer, so just start it when you need to go to the bathroom. (unless of course, you surf the web on the crapper)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_vag
    Why the cradle? Just get a bluetooth adapter for you PC and sync that way. Sure it takes longer, so just start it when you need to go to the bathroom. (unless of course, you surf the web on the crapper)

"Sure it takes longer"?

do you mean, if you have that $49 dollar cradle, syncs will take less time?
    Treo 650
    Treo 600
    Cingular
    MediaWorks
    Thanks for the info! Where can I get insurance?
    if your carrier doesnt offer it, see if your home owners will.

cingular doesnt offer insurance for pdas, but sprint does.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Most home owner or tenant insurance has a $500 deductable, making it useless. Sprint subcontracts the insurance to company called locline I believe. (This is what I've understood from the posts of others.) Does anyone know if you can just sign for insurance with this company directly? A suggestion.

Otherise, invest in a case that let your Treo survice a drop or two and be careful with it.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. You need a good backup program and you need to use it daily!! Also, you need to test your backup periodically to ensure the program is working properly.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_vag
    (unless of course, you surf the web on the crapper)
    It does make the time pass quickly...
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet. You need a good backup program and you need to use it daily!! Also, you need to test your backup periodically to ensure the program is working properly.
    Do you mean a program that clones the HD of the Treo or various applications that back up addresses, calendar, etc. ?
    In terms of headphones, I tried the Seido and the Palm-one branded "hybrids" The Palm-one is sleeker, smaller, and I like the asymmetric length of the L vs R cords--it positions the mic very close to my mouth and the listeners could hear me better than on the Seido.

The Seido has some neat features like a volume dial on the unit and a little switch that allows you to ignore the phone while you are listening to music, but it was big, bulky, and draws too much attention for my tastes. Also, I didn't think it sounded as good, imo, because of the in line rheostat.

Anyway, I recommend the P-1 branded hybrid headset. I just ordered my second so I can keep one in the car.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast