1.    #1  
    Has anyone used Cingular's Xpress Mail Personal Edition? Do they charge extra for it?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I have a Treo 650 with the unlimited Media Works plan ($19.99) and installed xPress Mail Personal without calling Cingular or asking to have it added. Simply go to this URL to register to get a user name and password.

https://xpressmail.cingular.com/subscriber/create.stp

It works very well. I can access all my Outlook features AND my desktop. Here's the catch about Personal edition - you need run the client on your desktop computer and keep it on. Not a great solution if you have your laptop with you!

My next goal is to figure out how to get xPress Mail Network edition. If you call Cingular custome service by the way, they have almost no clue about these services. Here are the instructions for registration.

http://www.cingular.com/beyond_voice...xpress_qualify

NOTE: I registered for Personal Edition and when I try to register for Network edtion it tells me i'm already registered. If you want Network edition (I beleive you corporate admin will need set a few things) I suggest you register here first.

I'll be keeping a close eye on my bill as well but so far I've only seen the $19.99 charge for unlimited Media Works which I got before they changed the details of the plan.

Good luck..
    Palm Personal -> Palm V -> Treo 650
    Will xPress Mail Personal work for me if my desktop that is running Outlook is behind a firewall (no VPM) and the Exchange system is setup to prevent redirected email?
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Yes, Xpressmail Personal uses email redirection software. The software must be installed on a system that has constant access to your corporate network for it to redirect the email all the time. Some IT departments consider this a breach of security, so be forewarned.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard
    Will xPress Mail Personal work for me if my desktop that is running Outlook is behind a firewall (no VPM) and the Exchange system is setup to prevent redirected email?
    It will work, but if your IT department prevents redirection of mail, they are absolutely going to FLIP if you leave a PC on their network all day long...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    First post here got my 650 yesterday!!

I have been using XMPE for a while now - had it on my MPX220 - Now it is installed on my palm. My computer is behind a firewall and it works perfectly.

I too have the 19.99 plan and it compatible with the service. I think they just try to get you to pay more because they think you might be using more data since it is a PDA/(more of a) Corp device.

I have not read thru all of the posts yet, but since you guys seem like you are using it here - Is there a way to add a signiture to e-mail?
    Just thought I'd add my two cents also... I use Xpress Mail Personal Edition and don't pay anything in addition to the 19.99 for media works.
    Hmm...I just signed up with Cingular last week with a new 650. I'm transitioning from a Blackberry and require access to corporate email. For this reason I signed up with the Xpress mail personal - unlimited edition. That's 39 bucks/month. My company pays for it so I don't mind the price. It took a while for the sales guy at the store to figure out which plan to add (they seem so clueless).

I'm curious though, how long have you guys been using Xpress mail with the 19/month Media Works plan? The reason I ask is that Xpress mail uses sms messages to alert the Treo to pull new email. With the unlimited plan the sms alerts are included. How would this affect Media Works? Are you going to be billed for the additional sms?
    I have been using Xpress mail personal since 2/9 when i got my 650 w/the $19.99 MW plan w/no problems or additional charges to my account. I do keep checking though...once I am through the first billing i figure i am in the clear at that point.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    [QUOTE=GIS_guy]First post here got my 650 yesterday!!

I have been using XMPE for a while now - had it on my MPX220 - Now it is installed on my palm. My computer is behind a firewall and it works perfectly. ..

I too came from the MPx220 which was a nice phone but lets face it... It's no Treo 650!

SO with Xpress mail you have to leave the desktop mail open to get the mail to your palm?
    If that's the case I guess its back to versamail or one of the other third party programs.
    Here are the specific instructions from the readme text:

GENERAL USE
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    >>>To access your corporate information using Personal Edition:

1. Leave your computer turned on and logged in to
    your corporate network.

2. Leave the Personal Edition client running.
    Note: When running, the Personal Edition client
    icon appears in the system tray if you chose to install this icon.

it doesn't mention specifically having Outlook open, but I have left it open and have not tried closing Outlook, leaving the computer on and seeing if it works. i am a former verizon guy and for their wireless sync software to work i had to leave outlook up and running at all times, so i just do that here as well. Hope this helps.
    Jeff
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > AT&T Tilt > Treo 750 > Treo Pro
    John 16:33
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    I've used xmpe for pop mail access. You can configure up to two pop accounts to check in addition to your desktop mail. I would not run the desktop redirector since it would just check my mail from my pop accounts. It's really a nice free way to check mail without having to buy snappermail etc. or use versa mail. It's also nice to have the option of the desktop redirector if you need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by los
    <snip>
    I'm curious though, how long have you guys been using Xpress mail with the 19/month Media Works plan? The reason I ask is that Xpress mail uses sms messages to alert the Treo to pull new email. With the unlimited plan the sms alerts are included. How would this affect Media Works? Are you going to be billed for the additional sms?
    Yes, if you use the SMS notifications, you'll be billed for each and every SMS. Cingular has SMS packages to avoid outrageous charges:
    Text/Instant Messaging
    pay per use 10 per message
    50 messages $2.99 per month
    200 messages $4.99 per month
    1000 messages $9.99 per month
    2500 messages $19.99 per month

For those of us who have Media Works with unlimited data, it's $20 for unlimited data, 1500 SMS, and 200 MMS.

However, you don't have to use the SMS notifications, that is merely an addional feature to be alerted of high priority message, changes in calendar, etc. You can set it for every message, but that would be ridiculous with the rate I get email at work.

XPress mail has a "PUSH mail" mail feature. It is supposed to send it directly to your handset immediately when the mail comes in. However, I find that it only works about half the time, more so when you're stationary. When moving around (driving, etc.) network interruptions seem to keep it from working. It think it's contingent on being able to push the message to you and the handset client doesn't do such a great job of making sure you have a constant connection to the server.

I just have mine set to enable push mail, and also to use the smart power sync which has it check every 15 min in addition to the push.
    You don't have to use the SMS feature. I only have it SMS me for messages flagged high priority, and for calendar events that change on the same day. Both are rare occurrences.

The price of XPress Mail PE is associated with your data plan. The prices listed on the Cingular web site ($30, $40) are just that, data plan prices. XPress mail PE cost nothing extra to use, just register for it, download it, and start using it. You can use it with any data plan (even pay per use if you were sadistic.) Since ulimited media works is no longer available, I recommend getting the $25 unlimited Media data plan. Then just go register and use XPress Mail PE.
    I use it with my $20/month Media Works plan.

I tried to get IT to do the Network edition thing, but they said they didn't want to implement something that just works for Cingular customers. If they do something it'll be a cross carrier solution. So I'm stuck with PE (which is just fine.)

By the way, for Sprint people, they have the same exact service "Sprint PCS Business Connection Personal":
    http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...ssPersonal.jsp
    Both Cingular XPress Mail and Sprint PCS Business Connection Personal the same solution made by Seven. Even the login screens look almost identical.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Ok. So what am I missing here? I did exactly (as far as I can tell) as everyone here said to do and I still don't have Xpress "pushing" my incoming emails down to my Treo. I'm running Outlook connected to my Exchange Server. Everything seems to work fine as long as I press "sync" on my Treo. But they're not being pushed down. Any thoughts?
    Yeah, it doesn't seem to be working for me either. It did for a while and I believe it was working when I first started using it, but I switched to smart power sync (every 15 min.) Now I can't seem to get the push to work anymore.
    Maybe it's broken? Hopefully they can fix it in the near future.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G