1.    #1  
    I am looking into purchasing a 1GB SD card. I was wondering if there is a big difference in speed with a standard 1GB card vs. the Ultra II. I am will be using it to store some apps and mp3's. I will also be storing mp3 ringers on the card, so I imagine the speed of the card will make a difference here. If anyone could make a recommendation an a solid and reasonably priced 1GB card, I would appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I've got a standard "High Speed" Sandisk 1G card and it works great. I can't comment on comparative speeds with the Ultra, but I use the 1G card exclusively for mp3s and it works great. I use it with my 600 and Real Player. I doesn't seem to take inordinate amounts of time to load up (I change my music frequently), but I have never used more than about half it's capacity. I haven't even shopped for the Ultra because I've been so satisfied with mine. If there's a big price difference, or you can't find an Ultra, go for a "High Speed" instead.
    Vince
    I also have been intending to buy a 'standard' 1gb Sandisk card for a while, but was waiting for the price to drop further. Unfortunately, while I've been waiting the last month or so and watching (on Pricegrabber), the price has actually gone up! (for example, at ZipZoomFly they went from $72 to $77 to $82 now!) What gives? I thought that memory prices always went down over time?? Are they getting ready to discontinue the 'standard' 1gb card now that they have the 1gb Ultra II and Extreme III, and the 2gb cards are out?
    Two things about the slower cards...
    1) If you want to record video or audio directly to the card, you have to get the faster one.
    2) If you intend to put your card in a card reader on your PC and transfer files on a semi-regular basis, you'll find the faster card much more pleasant.

The faster cards are really for cameras that have to save the whole image before they're ready to take another picture. On my Conon Elph it makes a big difference in how fast it's ready for the next shot.
    But if you just want a big card to load a lot of MP3s on, the 1GB slower one is JUST FINE.

I had a Kingston 256 that was dog slow and even using HotSync to install files to the card was horendously slow. So I got the 512 Ultra II and it made a world of difference. But that was the Kingston (cheap piece o' crap) and the standard speed Sandisk cards aren't that slow.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    I currently have a Sandisk 512mb 'standard' speed card, and have been using it for 6 months, primarily for MP3s to listen to with Pocket Tunes. I've never had a problem with listening to the music on this card (no pauses or skips), so I don't see a need to get a faster 1gb card. But now that the standard card price is climbing (scarcity?), the Ultra II is not that much more expensive!
    I use a Lexar JumpDrive Trio to transfer my MP3 files from my desktop to my sd card. You just slip the sd card in it, stick it into your USB port, and move the files over. It's way faster (10x) than syncing them. And it can double as an expandable jump drive. I highly recommend it over syncing files!
  6.    #6  
    What about pulling mp3's as rintones from the SD card? Will there be a significant advantage when using the ultra vs. a standard 1gb card? I would think that there would be less of a lag time for the phone to ring if you have a faster card.
    When playing or READING anything from the cards, both (even the slower one) is MORE than fast enough. The speed difference between the standard and the Ultra is the write speed. Some cheap cards have a terribly slow write speed like the kingston 256MB (sandisks are not bad.) But even that crappy Kingston I had performed at an exceptionally fast READ speed.

So while the Ultra will have faster read speeds as well, it's really the write speed you're paying for. Even on the cheapest, slowest card's read speed is not an issue and plenty fast enough.

I hope this helps clearify. That's why I mentioned audio and video recording. Same if yoiu transfer photos to your card, the ultra will do it faster. But if on the treo you take you pictures to RAM and then later transfer them to the card, it'll be a little slower but not an issue.

Only pay for the faster if (A) it's of little price difference or (B) you want faster write speeds.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    When playing or READING anything from the cards, both (even the slower one) is MORE than fast enough. The speed difference between the standard and the Ultra is the write speed. Some cheap cards have a terribly slow write speed like the kingston 256MB (sandisks are not bad.) But even that crappy Kingston I had performed at an exceptionally fast READ speed.

So while the Ultra will have faster read speeds as well, it's really the write speed you're paying for. Even on the cheapest, slowest card's read speed is not an issue and plenty fast enough.

I hope this helps clearify. That's why I mentioned audio and video recording. Same if yoiu transfer photos to your card, the ultra will do it faster. But if on the treo you take you pictures to RAM and then later transfer them to the card, it'll be a little slower but not an issue.

Only pay for the faster if (A) it's of little price difference or (B) you want faster write speeds.
    Thanks Taylorh! This is exactly the information I was looking for. So, I guess for what I will be using the card for, most of the cards out there will work just fine. I was set on getting the ultra II, but I can't find it in stock anywhere. I may go with the ATP 1GB 60x card instead.