Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello.

I have a Sprint Treo 650.

My issue is that since I use Goodlink (internally we call it Greatlink since it's so Great) and get tons of emails, my phone is constantly picking up email. This then ties the voice side of my phone up for about 30 seconds as Vision "idles out" and gives my phone control.

I am getting a lot of "straight to voicemail" issues.

I saw someone mention on Treocentral that they thought that EDGE did not exhibit this problem. Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

Speed is less of an issue (ie, I don't care if data is dogslow while on a voicecall), however avoiding straight-to-VM is important to me.

-jd
    not to my knowledge, the first tech to support concurrent vaice and data is EVDV which sprint had planned to start putting out next year, but abandoned for evdo to compete with verizon.

I'm not sure what the gsm equivelent is, but basically we're looking at not the next tech, but the one after.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    not to my knowledge, the first tech to support concurrent vaice and data is EVDV which sprint had planned to start putting out next year, but abandoned for evdo to compete with verizon.

I'm not sure what the gsm equivelent is, but basically we're looking at not the next tech, but the one after.
    My understanding is that EVDO and EDGE are same-generation protocols.

I am willing to switch to GSM if it will get me simultaneous data and voice availability; again, I'm okay with data speed being cut down while on a call, it's not that I want to browse while on the phone it's that I need to ensure that the constant stream of emails doesn't keep my cellphone "offline" all day.

Thanks for your thoughts.

-jd
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    My understanding is that EVDO and EDGE are same-generation protocols.
    -jd
    Not really. Although both are technically 3g. EVDO is far superior in terms of transfer speeds. Edge is basically 150-200k, or in other words slightly superior to 1xrtt.

EVDOs minimum speeds are near EDGEs maximum.

GPRS/EDGE networks are better at bursting quickly and then idling while not in use, that is why calls sneak in more often than on cdma equivelants. Neither technology supports simultaneous voice and data transfers.

EVDV as stated earlier does support simultaneous data/voice traffic. However sprint has put evdv on the back burner because VZ moved so quickly on evdo. EVDV would have been far superior, it just was going to take far longer to implement.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  5. rg1
    EDGE (and GPRS) are capable of supporting simultaneous voice and data ONLY if it is a Class C device. The Treo, like almost all devices, are Class B. Class B support voice calls while in data mode (data disconnects when a call comes in) and data is "attached" while the phone is idle. Class A devices are either in data mode or voice mode (but never both).
    Is Treo 00 class B or class A? It seems I've read some T600 GSM owners say the calls go to voicemail if the data link is active (i.e. transmitting, not idle).

Where does one look up whether his device is class A,B, or C?
    No Treo 6x0 can do simultaneous voice and data PERIOD. Only Japan has class A devices at this juncture (Bush, Sr. as portrayed by Dana Carvey---who remembers that???) Anyway, GSM handsets and send and receive SMS while on a voice call but an actual data session is suspended until the voice call completes. EV-DO rel. E and WCDMA can both perfrom simultaneous voice sessions as long as one has a class A device.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    This is definitely one of the more debated topics around TC.

Could we please get a few GSM 650 owners to do a bit of testing to see if calls will come through ("suspend" the data session) while ACTIVELY downloading/uploading data?
    there is no debate. It will notdo both at the same time. It is a fact and limitation of both the device and the networks
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  10. rg1
    The Treo is a Class B device, as stated on P1's website. The different Classes are defined here:

http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml

I had A and C backwards in my original post.
    Here are the 'facts' as I understand it. Please update if any are wrong.

- GSM does not do simultaneous voice/data but phone will ring during data activity and suspend data if answered.

- CDMA will roll over to voice mail if a call comes in DURING active data transmission. The voice mail light will appear even if data activity. If web browsing and page finishes download, the phone may still ring if network connection inactive.

- GSM EDGE is spec'd to be a little faster than CDMA 1Xrtt data but user reports so far show that it is no faster than current Sprint/Verizon 1X data speeds in real world usage. All average 90-100Kbits/sec, up to 120K or so depending on market and distance from towers.

- CDMA/EVDO is much faster than GSM/EDGE with sustained speeds of 300-700Kbits/sec and bursts much higher. I've tested this myself on Verizon and it truely gets these rates.

- The current Treo 650 will do GSM EDGE and CDMA 1XRTT but not EVDO. That is, Treo 650 is about the same speed on all carriers.

- True simultaneous voice/data, that is browsing the web while talking on the speakerphone, will likely not be possible until Voice over IP (VOIP) phones come in another year or two.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Does anyone read the thread before posting? It was stated correctly that a Class A EDGE capable device can do Data and Voice at the same time. Treo 650 is class B so can not. It is a simple fact. I know of no class A devices currently in the US anyway.

Also EDGE speeds do not top out at 120Kbits/sec as xenophonite suggested. I have gotten 175 myself.
    Treo 650 GSM
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    This is definitely one of the more debated topics around TC.

Could we please get a few GSM 650 owners to do a bit of testing to see if calls will come through ("suspend" the data session) while ACTIVELY downloading/uploading data?
    Now that I think about it, that's what I want. I don't care if data stops, as long as the call can come in.

-jd
    calls can come in.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Yup, it is exactly what you want.
    Class A
    Class A mobile phones can be connected to both GPRS and GSM services simultaneously.

Class B
    Class B mobile phones can be attached to both GPRS and GSM services, using one service at a time. Class B enables making or receiving a voice call, or sending/receiving an SMS during a GPRS connection. During voice calls or SMS, GPRS services are suspended and then resumed automatically after the call or SMS session has ended.

Class C
    Class C mobile phones are attached to either GPRS or GSM voice service. You need to switch manually between services.
    I concur, they may not be able to do both, but calls generally stop data and break through, that is the point I think. Not perfect bur better than voicemail.
    cg, what happened to your animated Avatar? Can I use it for myself on other forums?
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    cg, what happened to your animated Avatar? Can I use it for myself on other forums?
    Certainly, I have retired it. I found it just doing a google search "Felix Gif animated" if you cant find it I will send it to you.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doogles
    Now that I think about it, that's what I want. I don't care if data stops, as long as the call can come in.

-jd
    Right, that's what I'm talking about. I know they won't do simulataneous voice/data, but there is some debate about whether or not GSM will "Suspend" the data session to allow a call to come through. It sounds as though it does do that, at least most of the time.

Cglaguna, have you had a chance to test this on your new 650 yet? I'm assuming EDGE would be the same as GPRS in this regard???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast