Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41  
    So the bottom line is that there appears to be no difference with CDMA/GSM 650.

    - Both roll to voicemail if there is _active_ data activity.
    - Both will ring the phone if inactive data activity.
    - Neither will browse the web while on a phone call.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  2. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #42  
    Unfortunately, that's exactly what it sounds like. -no difference between the 2. (at least based upon what people are reporting) I wonder if EDGE is some how different than GPRS in this regard?
    It's too bad because I was starting to talk myself into getting the GSM 650, this issue being one of the selling points.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    So the bottom line is that there appears to be no difference with CDMA/GSM 650.

    - Both roll to voicemail if there is _active_ data activity.
    - Both will ring the phone if inactive data activity.
    - Neither will browse the web while on a phone call.

    I found this not to be true with GSM. I can browse the web and have chatter open and I will get a call.
  4. #44  
    ^Read the whole thread. If ACTIVE data running on web browser. Same is true for CDMA. Once web page completes the download, a call will come through.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    ^Read the whole thread. If ACTIVE data running on web browser. Same is true for CDMA. Once web page completes the download, a call will come through.


    Isn't Chatter always using an active data connection? How else can it idle in the IMAP folders?
  6. #46  
    I am flying home today. I will test more when I am home. I am in Arizona visiting friends. It's just that I can't sit and test with a bunch of non-geek friends. They already teasing my endlessly over my obsession with this phone.
  7. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #47  
    No, it doesn't. Chatter keeps an open socket connection to your mail server. However, it isn't ACTIVELY transferring data unless you receive or are sending an email.
  8. #48  
    PocketTunes is probably the best test. It keeps data actively flowing.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Unfortunately, that's exactly what it sounds like. -no difference between the 2. (at least based upon what people are reporting) I wonder if EDGE is some how different than GPRS in this regard?
    It's too bad because I was starting to talk myself into getting the GSM 650, this issue being one of the selling points.
    Misc - EDGE is no different than GPRS other than it is a new set of data coding etc within the GPRS framework. It is not a new standard and doesn't really do anything too different other than go faster.
    Treo 650 GSM
  10. #50  
    how about this- i have a CDMA treo 600/650 and with both i've found i'm able to do SMS and get voicemail notifications while having an active data connection. i think it was active because i was tethered to a pc and streaming music. can the gsm treo do that?
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions