Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So the bottom line is that there appears to be no difference with CDMA/GSM 650.

- Both roll to voicemail if there is _active_ data activity.
    - Both will ring the phone if inactive data activity.
    - Neither will browse the web while on a phone call.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, that's exactly what it sounds like. -no difference between the 2. (at least based upon what people are reporting) I wonder if EDGE is some how different than GPRS in this regard?
    It's too bad because I was starting to talk myself into getting the GSM 650, this issue being one of the selling points.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    So the bottom line is that there appears to be no difference with CDMA/GSM 650.

- Both roll to voicemail if there is _active_ data activity.
    - Both will ring the phone if inactive data activity.
    - Neither will browse the web while on a phone call.

I found this not to be true with GSM. I can browse the web and have chatter open and I will get a call.
    ^Read the whole thread. If ACTIVE data running on web browser. Same is true for CDMA. Once web page completes the download, a call will come through.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    ^Read the whole thread. If ACTIVE data running on web browser. Same is true for CDMA. Once web page completes the download, a call will come through.

Isn't Chatter always using an active data connection? How else can it idle in the IMAP folders?
    I am flying home today. I will test more when I am home. I am in Arizona visiting friends. It's just that I can't sit and test with a bunch of non-geek friends. They already teasing my endlessly over my obsession with this phone.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    No, it doesn't. Chatter keeps an open socket connection to your mail server. However, it isn't ACTIVELY transferring data unless you receive or are sending an email.
    PocketTunes is probably the best test. It keeps data actively flowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Unfortunately, that's exactly what it sounds like. -no difference between the 2. (at least based upon what people are reporting) I wonder if EDGE is some how different than GPRS in this regard?
    It's too bad because I was starting to talk myself into getting the GSM 650, this issue being one of the selling points.
    Misc - EDGE is no different than GPRS other than it is a new set of data coding etc within the GPRS framework. It is not a new standard and doesn't really do anything too different other than go faster.
    Treo 650 GSM
    how about this- i have a CDMA treo 600/650 and with both i've found i'm able to do SMS and get voicemail notifications while having an active data connection. i think it was active because i was tethered to a pc and streaming music. can the gsm treo do that?
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123