Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I did a test with my GSM 650 right after I got it. I used pocket tunes to stream a shout-cast station, then had someone call my cell number. I did not get the call, and the the person calling was sent to voicmail right away.

BTW, this was the same thing that happened on a Sprint Treo 650 and 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Cglaguna, have you had a chance to test this on your new 650 yet? I'm assuming EDGE would be the same as GPRS in this regard???
    I am sorry, no I haven't been able to test anything but Edge. I ran and picked up the 650 last night, have been trying to get ready for a trip to AZ today. I would have been killed if I played with the phone anymore. Today is hectic at work, but I will try to squeeze it in. I will try it in AZ, I hope the Cing/ATT/EDGE signal is strong in Gilbert. I am trying to figure out at the moment the best way to get all my contacts in the friggin phone without filling the memory.
    The debate exists because whether a call will page the Subscriber or go to VM depends on network config., the resume session after taking a voice call is also network config. as is the length of time data will be buffered for.
    my calls come through
    Treo 650 GSM
    GSM will more reliably interupt the data session for a voice call than CDMA2k 1xRTT will
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Bloom
    I did a test with my GSM 650 right after I got it. I used pocket tunes to stream a shout-cast station, then had someone call my cell number. I did not get the call, and the the person calling was sent to voicmail right away.

BTW, this was the same thing that happened on a Sprint Treo 650 and 600.

That is very interesting and is not how we understood GSM to work. I wonder if it is a 650 thing? Could someone else with a GSM650 try this? If not with PocketTunes, try with a large web page that takes a while to download and make call during download.

Also, try calling someone, put on speakerphone and attempt to web browse. What happens?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Well we know for a fact that calls won't come through on CDMA during active data transfer. For GSM, it sounds like the answer is a definite "maybe."
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    my calls come through
    Have you tried streaming something from PocketTunes and then testing?
    guys, I have tested this on gsm/gprs/EDGE networks extensively. If there is _active_ data activity, calls will go to VM. What looks like interruption of data is due to the fact that gsm tends to time out quicker than 1xRTT. However, both technologies, if you are using _active_ data xfer at this time, will go to voice mail. This is NOT open to debate. This is trivially easy to replicate. Surfing the web using blazer and then getting a call is NOT the same thing unless you're actively xferring data.

/v
    I just tried to make a call during an active data session. It appeared as if there was a delay when my phone recognized the call. I could see the data transfering and I dialed the number, but it waited for the data to finish transfering. As soon as the data stopped my call came through. I am going to try it while downloading a bigger site.
    Treoseur
    I didn't know GSM's reliability in interrupting data calls depended on which phone you use. My v551 data sessions get enturrupted about 10% of the time when voice calls come in and the data link is active (not dormant).

This simultaneous voice/data should never be used as a selling point for GSM uless the device is class A

Edit: I think this 10% intruuption is because of momentary data steam resets, and not meant as a feature
    I just tried again, it interupted the data session and took me to the phone screen. When I clicked on the browser again it went back to my home screen. So i guess its good to get your call but it sucks if you are in the middle of looking at something and have to start again.
    Treoseur
    I think the only way to test this positively is with a data monitor. Just because your browser looks like it's loading a page does not mean your data stream is high all the time.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyrush
    I'm confused, and I'm sorry if this has been hashed out (I did some searches and found no definitive answer)...

I have the Treo 600 GSM (T-Mobile), and when I am transferring data, calls go to voicemail - I just tested this. It seems that this thread implies that the 650 allows calls to suspend data.

Is this a difference between the 650 and the 600, or is this a misconception?

Thanks, Joe
    No, both should operate the same.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I think the fact that calls go to VM on the GSM models when streaming data (such as through Shoutcast) proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the GSM Treo does NOT "suspend the data session".

As vgill mentioned, the GSM data connection seems to "time out" more quickly than CDMA's. This is probably why calls seem to come through more often with GSM vs. CDMA.
    I have a freind with a GSM TREO 600, and We tested this out. It seems that most of the time, a call will interrupt data. However, not all palm data apps are well behaved.

He was saying that while he was browing the web, or retreiving email, a call would come through, but while using his ssh program, his session was not interrupted.

I think generally all the built in apps will respond properly and allow a call to come through, but not all apps behave well in this fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Also, try calling someone, put on speakerphone and attempt to web browse. What happens?
    You can't do it, that is a fact. The 650 is not the proper data class to do this (650 is class B - to do data and voice at the same time it must be class A).

I think the fact that calls go to VM on the GSM models when streaming data (such as through Shoutcast) proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the GSM Treo does NOT "suspend the data session".

As vgill mentioned, the GSM data connection seems to "time out" more quickly than CDMA's. This is probably why calls seem to come through more often with GSM vs. CDMA.
    Minsc I would not go calling user experiences reported on this forum fact... unless we can see what is really going on with the device, we don't know what is happening. I am talking like in a test mobile setup - Ericsson's TEMS for example. Otherwise you don't know what kind of messaging the mobile is receaving or it the app you are running is even listening. Just my 2˘.

I am not clear what you mean by the data session "time out" being shorter though. Could someone explain.
    Treo 650 GSM
    Have you tried streaming something from PocketTunes and then testing?
    Is this the only way I can stream audio on my Treo? If so that is wack - I don't want to pay $15 for it. Why can't I stream real audio with the real player? Is there anything free?
    Treo 650 GSM
  19. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Right, that's what I'm talking about. I know they won't do simulataneous voice/data, but there is some debate about whether or not GSM will "Suspend" the data session to allow a call to come through. It sounds as though it does do that, at least most of the time.

Cglaguna, have you had a chance to test this on your new 650 yet? I'm assuming EDGE would be the same as GPRS in this regard???
    I tested this on my CinT650 and calls go straight to voicemail if I'm actively transferring data. However, I can be connected to GPRS/EDGE and if a call comes in when I'm not actively transferring data (like when I'm just reading the web page that has already been loaded), the call will go through. If you really want to test this, go to the dslreports speed test thing and run the 200K speed test and then call your Treo from a different phone. I get sent to vm every time.
    My GPRS isn't turing off when I am getting a call. I tested by going doing a get with Versamail and calling my phone from home... voicemail picked up.

Are there specific settings that I need to change?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast