Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    Just curious...
    My Cingular (orange) 650 is enroute to my business rep and I see a few of you have put your old sims in the new phone with no issues. My question is whether you are getting EDGE speed or dialup when browsing. I'm undecided wether to just buy the phone outright and swap sims (to keep MWorks) or to add another line and bite the bullet cost-wise for an added data contract. If you are getting EDGE with your old sims, I'm just going to buy the phone outright. I remember reading that EDGE may or may not require a new type of sim card. Now that the phone is in use, maybe someone can tell me from experience...
    Thanks,
    Vince
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    EDGE is phone dependent, not SIM. Most Cingular stores will give you the newest 64k SIM at no charge if you ask for it... just show up and exchange your old SIM.
    You could try going into your local Cingular store and asking for a new SIM. They might want to charge you for it.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Impatiently waiting for Treo 650 GSM
    EDGE is just a variation on GPRS. If you can do GPRS then EDGE will follow without any SIM change.
    Does T-Mobile have EDGE? I was hoping to have faster speeds on T-Mobile than 56k. I just bought the unlocked Treo 650 today to use on T-Mobile.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howardde
    Does T-Mobile have EDGE? I was hoping to have faster speeds on T-Mobile than 56k. I just bought the unlocked Treo 650 today to use on T-Mobile.
    Not until later this year... rumors seem to suggest sometime after June.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    good news about the sim! Going to try to keep this under the radar so I can keep my $20 MW plan! Thanks for the info.
    Vince