1.    #1  
    After waiting many months I see that the unlocked GSM 650 has been released. My situation is a bit unique, I work in the US and live in Canada (Vancouver). My plan has been to purchase a unlocked 650 and put it on the Rogers Wireless service in Vancouver. Rogers currently sells the 600 and the people that I spoke with at Rogers assured me that the 650, as long as it is unlocked GSM, will work on their network. When I went to order the 650 today I see the following notice after selecting "other" as my service provider;

The Treo™ 650 smartphone is currently compatible with plans from Cingular Wireless (including former AT&T Wireless plans) and Sprint, as well as additional GSM/GPRS mobile phone service providers. The following major mobile phone service providers are NOT compatible with the Treo 650 smartphone:

Nextel
    Rogers Wireless
    Verizon Wireless

I spoke with Rogers support today and they told me that their network is frequencies 850, 900, 1800, and 1900. I see that the 650 specifications on the P1 website shows the same frequencies for GSM;
    http://web.palmone.com/products/smar.../details.jhtml

So my big questions here are; will this phone work with Rogers? If not, why? If it will work then why would P1 state that it will not? Because it has not been released in Canada yet, maybe?

If anyone could please shed some light on this I would greatly appreaciat it.

Thank you,
    E44
    I noticed on another thread post today or last night (don't remember where) that it was speculated that they were refering to Rogers's TDMA (or was it CDMA) network, not the GSM network. For all I know you saw this so sorry if I'm posting what you already read.
    Verizon is CDMA, Nextel is iDEN (a CDMA variant I think,) and doesn't Rogers have a CDMA network as well? It seems P1 lumped rogers in with the other non-GSM operators.
    I would inquire in to PalmOne's return policy. See if they have a satisfaction garuntee. If you can return it for a refund, then buy it try it, and return it if it doesn't work. Otherwise you could buy it, try it, and sell it as "new" on EBay and try to recoup most of the cost.
    Check over at HowrdForums.com if no one answers here. You can usually get more technical answers about carrier compatibility.
    For what it's worth, I think the GSM WILL work on rogers.
    Finally, call the P1 sales line. THere's an option for technical support. Call that number a few times and start grilling the techs about it. Call back a few times if the first call doesn't get your answer.
    Get them to tell you the technical reason why the GSM model won't work on Rogers GSM.
    I think it's bad form for P1 to post that without more detailed info because as you said (and I believe) the GSM phone should work on the Rogers GSM network.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Take a look at the bottom of the page.

"Looking for an unlocked GSM Treo 650 smartphone?"
    http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...tegoryId=30025
  4.    #4  
    Thank you Taylorh,

That does seem to be the case. I contacted P1 support and they confirmed for me that if it is an unlocked 650 it will work if the service uses a "sim card". She also confirmed for me that they more than likely were referring to a CDMA verson of the Rogers Wireless network. Funny thing though, she did not know that the unlocked 650 is now availalbe.

Whew, this is a good thing. It had me scared there for a bit.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

- E44
    If it's any help to you...I had a 600 in Canada before anyone at Rogers knew what they were.It was a cingular phone but once the card was popped in... the rogers system..because the frequencies are the same..worked great.I suspect P1 is respecting Rogers home turf!! There should be no technical reason why it wouldn't work!!
    I'll add that when you go to buy the Treo 600 unlocked it says nothing about it not working with Rogers. If the Treo 600 works, the 650 definately will.