1.    #1  
    Hi guys,
    Two options:

1. GSM Unlocked for $599

2. Cingular version with Free Jabra Bluetooth headset and Express shipping for $599.

The headset is the main reason why I'm not sure which one I want to purchase. Any inputs?
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Also look into this but DUN will only come with Unlocked version. If you plan on using ur treo as a modem this is a must. If not you can always use a 3rd party app like pdanet.
    I would like to know other differences between the two. Cingular customizations, etc. A friend mentioned I could just update the unlocked version with Cingular's firmware, but wouldn't that change it back to a locked device? Also, I wouldn't have to setup SMS and the other MEdia settings.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I don't think you would have to. I believe it's just a matter of inserting your current SIM card into the T650. That's what I plan to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdarsey
    I would like to know other differences between the two. Cingular customizations, etc. A friend mentioned I could just update the unlocked version with Cingular's firmware, but wouldn't that change it back to a locked device? Also, I wouldn't have to setup SMS and the other MEdia settings.

Setting up SMS and Media settings should not be a problem at all on the unlocked. You will need to find them from others on a board like this or www.howardforums.com, but it is not that complicated.

My default has always been to get unlocked versus branded, but that is more on principle than anything else. To be fair, most of my phones in the past were phones that were not sold by any carrier in the states (SE T39, SE P900, SE Z600, Nokia 8890, etc.). But like Bob Denerio in 'Ronin'... I never walk into a cell phone carrier without a door out the back that can be used as an escape route.

As for the original poster. While I think the headset is a great deal, I would argue that there have been some on here that did not like the headset included (but this was for the Sprint version) and there are a plethora of really nice headsets out there.

Just my $.02
  6.    #6  
    I got on the phone with PalmOne technical support and they told me that the unlocked version will require no manual configurations. Everything is in the SIM card itself, SMS or other media settings.
    Can someone out there confirm this?
    Quote Originally Posted by chimp98
    I got on the phone with PalmOne technical support and they told me that the unlocked version will require no manual configurations. Everything is in the SIM card itself, SMS or other media settings.
    Can someone out there confirm this?
    If you can't trust Palm's technical support, who can you?
    Anywayz, yes, if it's an unlocked from them, you can use it right away, but will likely have to enter some settings to use data plans and go online.
    Order Number: 050201-2107xx - Unlocked GSM
    Order Date: 2/01/2005 10:40PM PST