Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone successfully syncing their 650 via bluetooth?

How easy is it to set up?

Which bluetooth adapter is the best?

What range limits do you experience?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    Anyone successfully syncing their 650 via bluetooth?

How easy is it to set up?

Which bluetooth adapter is the best?

What range limits do you experience?

Thanks!
    Works great but it is a little slow compared to a hardwired connection. Very easy to setup. I personally use a Kingston BT adaptor. I got this one because it is very small. I also get about 15 foot range but I also have 802.11G running close to the BT source. I am sure that cuts down on the usable range.

Jeff
  3.    #3  
    Anyone using the Linksys BT100?
    Hmm.... I tried the Belkin Blutooth adapter, and I couldn't sync at all. Nothing Nada Nathan. Just gave up and brought it back to Circuit City. I saw the Kingston BT adaptor but was a little hesitant after trying the Belkin. Looks like I'll be going back for the Kingston.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
  5.    #5  
    jeffgibson,

How slow is "a little slow" compared to a cradle hotsync. My t600 takes about 45 seconds to do a complete hotsync in the cradle.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimeNY
    Hmm.... I tried the Belkin Blutooth adapter, and I couldn't sync at all. Nothing Nada Nathan. Just gave up and brought it back to Circuit City. I saw the Kingston BT adaptor but was a little hesitant after trying the Belkin. Looks like I'll be going back for the Kingston.
    You do need to go through a few configuration steps to get it to work.

You need to:
    • Pair your 650 with your PC
    • setup a com serial port service for BT to link to
    • you need to enable "local" in your hotsync PC application.
    • setup a connection on the 650 that uses BT.
    Not real difficult but a few steps are needed to get the communication channel opened up.

Jeff

BTW: PalmFileBrowser works great over BT as well! Just make sure you stay with COM ports numbered below COM9 for this program to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovation2
    jeffgibson,

How slow is "a little slow" compared to a cradle hotsync. My t600 takes about 45 seconds to do a complete hotsync in the cradle.
    I would guess at 5x slower.
    I use it all the time, i gave up on syncing via the cord that works 10% of the time. It is a little slower than cable sync but it is worry free.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimeNY
    Using the Belkin just fine here. Maybe a config problem?
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    palmOne support has a pretty good guide here:
    Bluetooth HotSync Guide
    I am using the linksys bt adapter while it is larger and a little more expensive than most it works great. I was able to check my email from my car about 5 houses down on the road. I returned the Belkin one I had it couldn't go 20' with it. Its nice to have the range to roam. I can go upstairs at the opposite end of the office and listen to shoutcast through the bt connection at 485kbps while on the treadmill. Surfing the web with xiino at home is very fast as well. The linksys is overall a great purchase.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    BT Access points are pretty cool. You can get a Wifi-like experience with your 650 using one. Their range is much larger than regular BT. I have a BT access point in my office and can check email/surf the web on my 650 using it (thru VPN for the mail). I can still get access about 5-10 feet outside the building.
  13.    #13  
    Jayzee,

5 houses down IN YOUR CAR!!!!! That's incredible. Did you use the BT drivers that came from Linksys?

Also, Polyphyron thanks for that link. Looks pretty easy.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Belkin here too. No problem at all.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I just got my T650 for verizoning - haven't done it yet (had to order a data cable - hopefully it'll arrive today). But I've hotsync with my usb bluetooth Kensington on my notebook (winXP). slower than using the usb cable, but it works.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    Time to BT sync depends on how many programs you have that backs up during hotsync. My BT sync was taking 5 to 10 mins. Even longer if you are adding an app.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
  17.    #17  
    Ouch!!! 5-10 mins?

That's not much better than I see syncing my T600 over GPRS.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I BT synced and it took me 3 mins vs using the usb cable which only took about 2 mins. I don't have any data in my contact and calendar (yet) but versamail is activated. (I noticed that versamail took a bit of time to download and sync.) BT is just a convenient use.
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    I use it all the time, i gave up on syncing via the cord that works 10% of the time. It is a little slower than cable sync but it is worry free.

Hey, I have problems with the cable too. I'm not sure if they are the same as you, but just to let you know what I do to fix them, see below.

Syncing via the cable is way better if you have a lot of stuff or large databases. I'm using OrganizeIT by Socket to keep track of my DVDs ( I may do CDs as well ) well, their databases aren't super efficient, so it take about 20 to 30 seconds just to do the video database. That being said, it takes way too long on bluetooth. Unless you are in the habit of syncing and walking away for a few, using the cable/cradle works better.

Ok, so if your problem is like mine, where it doesn't seem to connect after you hit the hotsync button. What I do (and this may be frowned apon) is pull the cable out slightly and push it back in. There is something about this action that engages the syncing process. I had to this with the 600 and I think I even did it with an old Pocket PC.

If that's not your problem, well, thank you please drive through.

Twist
    I think some ppl don't realize there are different classes of BT. The reason your Linksys adapter worked much further than the Belkin was simply due to the fact that they are 2 different classes of BT device.

Here is the breakdown:
    Type Power Level Operating Range
    Class 1 Devices 100mW Up to 100 meters
    Class 2 Devices 10mW Up to 10 meters
    Class 3 Devices 1mW 0.1-10 meters

BTW, went to NY this weekend and shot several pics and vids....mostly on SD now. It took quite a while to sync via BT. I ended up just getting in the shower and letting it run. No biggie though, worked fine and was ready to go b4 I was. AND....I no longer have to screw with that cable that hardly works worth a *insert curse word here*!!!!!

Edit: Sorry, had numbers switched...corrected now.
    Last edited by Geckotek; 02/02/2005 at 10:45 PM.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast