Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, driving 120 miles a day in LA keeps me on my T650 for the entire drive with updated traffic information maps through the web on my screen. The problem in that it's "soooooo" small to read. I am about ready to change that.

I have ordered Margi's Presentation to Go, along with a 10 inch in-car TFT VGA monitor with universal mount. With Margi's mirror program, I will be able to connect my T650 to the VGA monitor, and have it duplicate whatever is on my handheld screen. A simple refresh on my handheld will give me a live traffic map availalbe as I drive on a large screen, which should make me a "much" safer driver than I am today.

I hope it works! This is NOT a cheap venture!
    Keep us updated, this is a great idea.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Ditto. I'm very interested in this idea.

L
    Te >T3 > T3 > Zod2 > Z72 > waiting for t650
    Hey Mort, what website gives updated traffic in LA? I have seen mapquest, etc but they are only available for Verizon. I am assuming you are using Sprint.
  5.    #5  
    Try Sigalert.com and traffic.tann.net !!

Keep your eyes on the road!!
  6.    #6  
    I have it all set up, and its fantastic! The following photos show my in car computer – getting me real time traffic maps on a large screen display while I’m driving. Much better than squinting at my small screen all of the time!
    Along with my traffic info, my GPS display is amazing!! I place LA maps from Mapopolis into my Ram, plug in my Margi Presenter to Go, turn on my Socket Bluetooth GPS, and it’s off!
    E-mail is great also, but I try to keep that until I am off of the road!
    Configuration is: Treo 650, 8” inch car TFT color screen, Margin Presenter to Go “Mirror”, universal car mount, & car adapter for power.
    Also, on my dash is my control for my Erickson in-car Bluetooth car kit.
    It’s all great for long commutes! (But expensive!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    that's a pretty sweet setup
    It would be hot if you had a bluetooth keyboard and mouse from ThinkOutside with that large screen... using this you could create a mini office anywhere... This is pretty damn cool! It's got me thinking now how else I can use the Treo as a Carputer. I was going to build one with a Mini-Itx motherboard, but this would be better! hmmmm

Awsome Mort!

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Ok, now I am officially "jonesing."
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
  10.    #10  
    But does this set-up make me real cooool or a real geeeek??????????
    My wife has one opinion!
    Last edited by Mort; 02/21/2005 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort
    I have it all set up, and its fantastic! The following photos show my in car computer – getting me real time traffic maps on a large screen display while I’m driving. Much better than squinting at my small screen all of the time!
    Along with my traffic info, my GPS display is amazing!! I place LA maps from Mapopolis into my Ram, plug in my Margi Presenter to Go, turn on my Socket Bluetooth GPS, and it’s off!
    Configuration is: Treo 650, 8” inch car TFT color screen, Margin Presenter to Go “Mirror”, universal car mount, & car adapter for power.
    That's just freakin cool. Great pics and excellent idea! Hey, I noticed you're around Encino, very close to where I work at which is in Woodland Hills. Maybe you can drop by and show me your setup someday
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Very cool! Nice thinking "outside the box". Is there a BT Margi presenter? That would be quite cool too. Thanks for sharing.
    Dana A. Max, Psy.D.
    Licensed Psychologist
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, Palm m515, Treo 650, Centro
    Spot ON!! That rocks!

Keep your eyes on the road.

t
    VERY cool!!! Hmm...wonder how MMPLayer looks on that.

Mind if I ask how much for the equipment?
    Chris

Evolution: PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Visor Prism > iPaq 3955 > iPaq 4155 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    How much to build one....i'm on my treo and don't want to look, thanks
    wow that is just beautiful... i think i cried a little
    Thats incredible? I too would like to know how much a setup like that runs! I work in Bel Air coming from Camarillo/West hills so that would be great for me
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

•[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]•
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort
    Very nice! Besides the overall price question, a couple of others:

- How quick is the refresh between the Treo and the TFT? Can you navigate menus, etc. on the Treo without a significant lag?

- Will the Margi adapter work with any VGA monitor? I assume so, since normally it's used with projectors and presentation monitors.
  19.    #19  
    The refresh rate in "almost" instant. There are three settings in the Mirror program for the refresh rate - slow, medium, fast.
    The Margi adapter works with any monitor with a standard VGA input. This was my biggest concern when ordering the monitor, but it works fine. The Margi Adapter has the SD card on one end, and a VGA plug on the other.
    The only problem are small "quirks" in the Margi program. Sometimes when switching between the palm mode to phone mode to go online, the Mirror connection is lost, resulting in having to start the Margi program all over again. Another problem is "occasionally" everything locks up when refreshing a page, requiring a soft reset (which is not easy travelling at 65 MPH). But I'm not sure if it has to do with the Margi program or just this dumb new OS on the T650.
    Overall, runs great 95% of the time!
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater
    Thats incredible? I too would like to know how much a setup like that runs! I work in Bel Air coming from Camarillo/West hills so that would be great for me
    Well, Margi Presenter to Go is $160+, Mapopolis is like $40, Socket Bluetooth GPS is $230 and an 8" TFT is $200 - $300 on Ebay. I'm sure my prices are wrong and I'm forgetting accessories but $630 - $800 would be my guess for this setup.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast