1.    #1  
    I've been looking for a belt-clip carry case for my Treo 650 since discovering that, adorned in its S650 silicone skin case, it no longer fits into my Covertec horizontal belt case. (Actually, it fits, but the strap will no longer close over the top.)

My measurements of my silicone-skinned Treo are (approx.) 4.45" x 2.40" x 1.10", which are very close--but just under--the dimensions I found for a Sidekick (not 2) here.

I have seen a few posts around here of folks using Sidekick cases as temporary measures while waiting for a proper Treo case to hit the market, but has anyone tried their skin-cased Treo in a Sidekick-sized carry case? Just thought I'd ask before trying the $30 experiment.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    There must be some kind of joke going here .. a sidekick is 1/2 the size of a 650 ..
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    There must be some kind of joke going here .. a sidekick is 1/2 the size of a 650 ..
    Uhhmm...source for that info, please?

Anyway, although the published dimensions of the sidekick 2 show it being thinner and longer than the 650 (in the skin case), I stopped by a T-Mo store today and tried one of their Sidekick 2 cases, and it fit just fine. If it had had a magnetic clasp instead of a mechanical snap, my quest would be over.
    Ethereal, I had the exact same notion as you (except with a Vaja case). Sidekick seemed to be the logical surrogate source, but I never really dug into it. Glad to hear it'll fit - I think there's plenty of magnetic mounts, if that's your fancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    Ethereal, I had the exact same notion as you (except with a Vaja case). Sidekick seemed to be the logical surrogate source, but I never really dug into it. Glad to hear it'll fit - I think there's plenty of magnetic mounts, if that's your fancy.
    The source of my info is that I own a Sidekick I .. it is 1.5" shorter then my 650. I can't believe you found a case that would fit but whatever works for you !
  6.    #6  
    The source of my info is that I own a Sidekick I .. it is 1.5" shorter then my 650. I can't believe you found a case that would fit but whatever works for you !
    Are the dimensions at the site I linked to incorrect? They are supposedly for the Sidekick I...

Does this mean your Sidekick I is only 3" long? It's nearly square?
    Last edited by Ethereal; 02/02/2005 at 05:13 PM.
    I based it on these dimensions listed at t-mobile. Looks to be pretty close to the Treo650... Are these dimensions wrong??? SidekickII, btw - not that I know the difference...
  8.    #8  
    OK, I've done the experiment, and the sidekick belt case is a perfect fit for the Treo 650 in a skin case.

Actually, since I wound up bidding for and winning a lot of 3, if anyone else out there wants a horizontal pouch case, with a leather-covered belt clip and a magnetic-closure strap, I think 20 USD (which includes S&H) would be about break-even for me. PM me if you're interested...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How about a pic of your treo with skin in the case?
  10.    #10  
    OK, here they are. For comparison, the one on the right is my wife's Treo 600 in its Covertec case, since that was what I was trying to approximate when I began searching for a belt case for my 650. The most pronounced difference between the two cases (other than the fact that the skin-cased Treo will fit in the one on the left) is that the lining of the T-Mo case is grey suede instead of tan leather.

Treo 650 NOT included. S650 skin case NOT included. Treo 600 NOT included. Covertec case NOT included.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm using the Sidekick II case to hold my 600 in a S600 skin case that I bought from TreoCentral, and it's working fine. It's a bit of a snug fit, but, I don't mind that. It's still large enough to accomodate the Treo with a headset cable (L-shaped connector) plugged into the bottom. I put the Treo in with the screen facing my body - for added protection. I kind of feel this gives me the protection I want.... non-slip grip on the phone in the skin case, plus, the screen is protected while in the Sidekick case (and a way to keep it on my waist). You may need to flip the case cover at a bit of an angle to get around the antenna stub. But, the velcro fastener still keeps a firm grip on the cover.
    Forgot to mention also that prior to getting the skin case, I had been using my iPod slip case to carry the 600 - good fit... very sleek and solid protection for the screen. I've lost track of what generation iPod I have - it's a 15gb model, with the docking port and touch wheel, not one of the newer smaller ones.
    Ethereal,

This is exactly what I want to do with my 650. I bought a Vaja iVoluation case, but am concerned about damaging the screen when I'm carrying it in my bag. I was hoping to use the Covertec case. Do I assume correctly that the T650 in the skin will not fit in the Covertec case? (Or did you simply a different horizontal case)?

And thanks for the pics!
    I bought a case by Incase Technology for the Sidekick - with a magnetic closure. Works nice.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    I bought a case by Incase Technology for the Sidekick - with a magnetic closure. Works nice.
    That's who made these, although the packaging appears intended for sale in a T-Mo store.
    been using a Sidekick case (by Body Glove) for almost 18 months. Used it with my 600 and now my 650. Works great. I can get to the plug for the ear piece and the antenna sticks out the back like it was made for it and the velrco stay latch very well.
    I like it a lot, Matt
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    I have a source for the Sidekick cases. I have to order a quanity of at least 3 to meet my distributor's minimum. If anyone is interested, email me at sidekick@n7as.com

I am guesing $15 each. Got to check availability on monday.