1.    #1  
    Can the 650 be used as a USB modem right out of the box? Does it make any difference if it is purchased from PalmOne or from Cingular (MUCH cheaper for me through an employee discount plan) or another vendor (Sprint, perhaps)?

I don't have one yet, but I'd like to be able to connect at reasonable speeds using the phone as some sort of modem. Is DUN what I am looking for? And is the patch required for Blue-tooth DUN the same thing as for USB DUN. And will it work on a GSM 650?

If DUN is the answer, then is what I have is the 650 acting essentially like a DSL modem? So that it then provides an internet connection for me to use on my PC? Presumably while in this mode I can receive no phone calls, or perhaps I lose my data connection, or have it suspended. Also, presumably, these is no regular phone air time charge for this time, instead it is charge per MB or unlimited if on an unlimited data plan.

I have no idea how this works, I'm just trying to get it figured out before I spend money.

Basically, I'd like to be able to use the Internet on my PDA from time-to-time, although I don't think I'll use it that way much, plus be able to connect my non-BlueTooth laptop PC to the internet while on the road - especially while traveling around the country on a massive road trip this summer.

My current phone (a Sumsung i600, Verizon) has no data plan and I can use it as a USB modem, dialing in using regular phone number, but the speed is horribly slow. Also, I thought this phone would work for me, but I've grown to really dislike Microsoft's OS and really, really prefer PALM, which I used for years before this switch I made because work paid for it and I did not want to carry around two devices any more.

I have no desire to use BlueTooth for anything right now, so I don't really acre about Blue Tooth solutions - I care about USB-connected solutions.

Sorry to ask such basic questions, with some not being Treo 650-related, but I trying to get educated in an unfamiliar area.
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    Can the 650 be used as a USB modem right out of the box? Does it make any difference if it is purchased from PalmOne or from Cingular (MUCH cheaper for me through an employee discount plan) or another vendor (Sprint, perhaps)?

I don't have one yet, but I'd like to be able to connect at reasonable speeds using the phone as some sort of modem. Is DUN what I am looking for? And is the patch required for Blue-tooth DUN the same thing as for USB DUN. And will it work on a GSM 650?

If DUN is the answer, then is what I have is the 650 acting essentially like a DSL modem? So that it then provides an internet connection for me to use on my PC? Presumably while in this mode I can receive no phone calls, or perhaps I lose my data connection, or have it suspended. Also, presumably, these is no regular phone air time charge for this time, instead it is charge per MB or unlimited if on an unlimited data plan.

I have no idea how this works, I'm just trying to get it figured out before I spend money.

Basically, I'd like to be able to use the Internet on my PDA from time-to-time, although I don't think I'll use it that way much, plus be able to connect my non-BlueTooth laptop PC to the internet while on the road - especially while traveling around the country on a massive road trip this summer.

My current phone (a Sumsung i600, Verizon) has no data plan and I can use it as a USB modem, dialing in using regular phone number, but the speed is horribly slow. Also, I thought this phone would work for me, but I've grown to really dislike Microsoft's OS and really, really prefer PALM, which I used for years before this switch I made because work paid for it and I did not want to carry around two devices any more.

I have no desire to use BlueTooth for anything right now, so I don't really acre about Blue Tooth solutions - I care about USB-connected solutions.

Sorry to ask such basic questions, with some not being Treo 650-related, but I trying to get educated in an unfamiliar area.
    DUN does not work over usb only BT. To act as a USB modem you need pdanet great product.