Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3035363738394041 LastLast
    An itrek bluetooth gps clone is available for $94.95 shipped at: http://www.storagemedia.com/product.asp?pf_id=BT-15
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter Emperor
    only cingular...not unlocked GSM. This is the unlocked GSM thread, isn't it?
    Hmmm, I wasn't aware of this! I ordered an unlocked phone and when I called and asked about this, the rep mentioned nothing about Cingular, just took my SN and said I'd be credited.

I wonder though... the page says:

(including former AT&T Wireless customers)
    The Treo I have is technically an old AT&T Treo. The friend I bought it from was an AT&T customer. I wonder if that had some effect, or whether the guy just didn't check and put it through. I'll let you know if I ever get credited, and if they then recharge me at some point in the future
    Twitter: @dvdmon

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    I've been doing some research on GPS units. I have Mapopolis and a Haikom GPS mouse that I use with my T600. A few weeks ago I was actually looking for a stand-alone GPS for our new car, but the options that were worth trading up from Mapopolis would have been a significant chunk of change ($600 at the minimum).

One of those units, and actually one of the cheapest was TomTom Go. Well, it turns out they have just made available a version of their software available for PocketPC and Palm. It's a huge step up from mapopolis and of course due to that it cost more, but not THAT much more. I've seen it for as low as $125. Of course you also need a GPS receiver. Bluetooth models generally go for around $100 give or take. I'm not an expert on these units, but on another thread here, there are some good reviews of a TomTom branded one, and Amazon is selling the whole TomTom package (software, maps, and BT GPS) for a total of $250. You can of course save by getting Mapopolis, but having already experienced the pain of dealing with everything on a county level, I'm ready for a more seamless solution...

Thanks dvdmon....Since I'm waiting on my 650 I may as well start looking at BT GPS, I'll checkout TomTom

palmOne Treo 650 Unlocked GSM / Axalto 64k SIM / Cingular Nation 900 w/ Rollover / MEdia Net Unlimited /

Phone Info: Firmware: 1.14 / Software: Treo650-1.05-ROW
    Accessories: palmOne Cradle Kit for Treo 650 / Free 128MB SD from palmOne / Cardo Scala 500 BT Headset / Krusell Classic & Horizontic Case / Brando Screen Protector
    On The Way: ???

only cingular...not unlocked GSM. This is the unlocked GSM thread, isn't it?

True ..
    Some guys are creating unneccessary confusion here . I wasted my 20 minutes on the phone today.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Thank you. Much more polite than what I am usually called.

wh
    Your march prediction turned out to be wrong!!!
    Few words of praise for P1 ......
    I know they are hard to come by from you .
    Post something in praise tonight after few glasses of Merlot.

Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    True ..
    Some guys are creating unneccessary confusion here . I wasted my 20 minutes on the phone today.
    Sorry Mtreo, if I was one of those guys. I truly thought that it had nothing to do with Cingular. Treonaughts, I don't think, said anything about Cingular, and of course the rep never mentioned Cingular (I ordered the unlocked T600)...

Thank you. Much more polite than what I am usually called.

awwww... come on... Are you telling me you are a softie at heart? Darn!
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    I am with you.

I drink champagne. I drink it when I am happy. I drink it when I am sad. Sometimes I drink it alone; when I am in company, it is obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I leave it alone unless I am thirsty.
    Sam I am...

I just had two whisky sours
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    Sorry Mtreo, if I was one of those guys. I truly thought that it had nothing to do with Cingular. Treonaughts, I don't think, said anything about Cingular, and of course the rep never mentioned Cingular (I ordered the unlocked T600)...
    Yes
    But at least you are humble.......
    Makes me feel better.
    I do not know; I am a septuagenarian, I drink, and I lose track.
    Is this true? If it is than you deserve a lot more respect than I have given you.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Almost any kind of GPS (big appl for me). My iTrek GPS will not work with the 650. SD GPS will not work for me; I need the SD card for the maps.
    The iTrek won't work w/ the 650? I was hoping it would. Is it a driver issue, or what?
    ooooh, look at the shiny Copper Treo 680
    No. See http://discuss.treocentral.com/archi...p/t-65196.html The Sideo solution might work but it sure as hell kicks you over a $1000-.
    oops...hadn't read that far
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    You can of course save by getting Mapopolis, but having already experienced the pain of dealing with everything on a county level, I'm ready for a more seamless solution...
    dvdmon,

Not to be misconstrued as a sales plug for mapopolis, but they've recently released an SD card (called U.S. NavCard) version that contains the entire map grid of the U.S, and it's city based. Goes for $149. Mine arrived yesterday.

I've been using Mapopolis and an iTrek serial GPS mouse with my T 600 since Dec 2003, and so I can certainly relate to your pain comment above regarding the county map approach. A mega-size pain indeed!

While I have not used any other palm based GPS software, and therefore have nothing to compare against Mapopolis, I'm impressed with the U.S. NavCard product so far. I'm using it on my wifes' Tungsten T3 with the new i.Trek BT GPS (Nemerix chipset). Pretty sweet. Love the "no cable" set up. All in all, it's pretty seamless.

My $0.02 cents.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Hmmm. I didn't know that, thanks aolumide. Guess I jumped the gun. I'm curious about how the two stack up against each other. Maybe if I get some spare change I'll even look at buying that one and seeing for myself. Either that or maybe there are some reviews? I know there are some of TomTom...

Is this true? If it is than you deserve a lot more respect than I have given you.
    It is true. Howvever, I should get respect for my ideas, my expression, and my behavior, not my age. For my age, I will accept the benefit of the doubt. I appreciate your intent.
    No. See http://discuss.treocentral.com/archi...p/t-65196.html The Sideo solution might work but it sure as hell kicks you over a $1000-.
    M'kay......So, it does work.
    Has anybody tried the BT i.Trek w/ TomTom?
    It is true. Howvever, I should get respect for my ideas, my expression, and my behavior, not my age. For my age, I will accept the benefit of the doubt. I appreciate your intent.
    I certainly respect your insistance on not giving P1 the benefit of the doubt. I have been mistreated by several companies that I no longer do business w/, & I'm assuming that you have probably had similar experiences totalling a far greater number than me. Though none of us wanted to hear that P1's shipping policies could be so terrible, you kept us grounded enough to realize that we should be prepared to deal w/ the worst. Now that our unlocked GSM Treo 650's are shipping, we can be happy to know that the worst-case scenario of March that you gave was not quite correct. Thank you for lowering our expectations of P1 to have them come out better than what we anticipated.
    I ordered that BT GPS but had to return it cause the case would not close and lock securely but they said they will ship anothe unit as soon as the bad one is there, (Monday)

My fedex now says deliver on Feb 14.......
    Quote Originally Posted by aolumide
    dvdmon,

Not to be misconstrued as a sales plug for mapopolis,....
    Perhaps. However, I will give them a shameless plug. I love their product and I appreciate their support. I have spent a large part of today working with Mapopolis and I can recommend them and their product.

Quote Originally Posted by aolumide
    ....but they've recently released an SD card (called U.S. NavCard) version that contains the entire map grid of the U.S, and it's city based. Goes for $149. Mine arrived yesterday.

I've been using Mapopolis and an iTrek serial GPS mouse with my T 600 since Dec 2003, and so I can certainly relate to your pain comment above regarding the county map approach. A mega-size pain indeed!

While I have not used any other palm based GPS software, and therefore have nothing to compare against Mapopolis, I'm impressed with the U.S. NavCard product so far. I'm using it on my wifes' Tungsten T3 with the new i.Trek BT GPS (Nemerix chipset). Pretty sweet. Love the "no cable" set up. All in all, it's pretty seamless.

My $0.02 cents.
    Thanks for your report; I look forward to hearing more. That said, it seems to me that the problem for the 650 is not the mapping software but the connector. I can afford the 650 at almost any price but the (arbitrary, P1 has failed to defend or explain it) change in the connector emasculates most exisitng GPS solutions. It may be that the Mapopolis card with some BT GPS solution may work, but it is far from obvious and expensive to test. I admit that my current GPS solutiion using iTrek and Mapopolis is a great value. However, I resent the fact that I cannot find any way to salvage any part of it as I move to the 650 and that any 650 solution looks as though it will cost twice what I have paid for my 600 solution.

Do I have it right or am I missing something.